[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Except that Natura wood is incompatible with just about everything.
Even Tinker's Construct, which makes no fucking sense since the author is the same.
It's sticks, yes, but it's wood? Works fine with most things. Including Tinkers Construct.
Best part? Using Natura Wood in a TiC Part Builder(thingy) gets you normal wooden sticks as scrap.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Weird, it doesn't work for me.
Well, maybe I'm the weird one out here...
mlfw5069_small.jpg

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm back, and YX33A--damn you for linking me to TVTropes. No, I wasn't gone this long because I sucked into it, but I damn well could have been.

:p

BTW, I said you could only cut one tree DOWN. I never said anything about hollowing one out and living inside/around it.

HeffronCM: Regarding barrels

I didn't respond to this before because I kind of skipped over it. BUT. I do the same damn thing. :D

The requirements in the challenge are the base requirements. If you want to go over/above that's fine 99% of the time (except in some cases like Servants, Slums where the point is that they have tiny rooms)

I'm working on the Fishing section I started but never really finished. Here's what I have so far:

Fishing Huts are not counted in the Residential section, mainly because they are built to help support the population, not add to the general population on their own. Fishermen are rather unlike most of the other Agricultural food providers, because you don't necessarily need to build them much. You don't need to tend their crops, you don't need to breed their livestock. However, they can only live directly next to the water. There are two main kinds of Fishermen--the kind that fish from shore, run fishing lines, etc, and the kind that goes out in boats and fishes in the water. Fishermen that fish from shore generally fish along rivers. Fishermen that go out in boats and fish generally live next to an ocean and/or giant lake. One Fisherman can usually provide 15-30 food.

Unlike other Agricultural types, however, you can't simply crowd Fishermen in together and have them all concentrated in one place. That would lead to overfishing and killing off all the fish in that area. Fishermen must have a fishing area of their own of at least 25-50 blocks. No more than 2-3 fishermen may fish in the same area.

TL: DR for the forums (not all is written down yet but it's in my head):

Fishermen each provide 15-30 food
Fishermen fish on docks in Rivers
Fishermen fish on rafts/houseboats in lakes/oceans
in Normal, no more than 2-3 fishermen may fish in the same 25-50 block area (to prevent overfishing)

Fishermen must live either right next to the water they fish, OR they may live on a houseboat (that they can fish directly off of) if the river is wide enough/on an ocean/lake.

This is the Normal Fishermen ruleset, and Hardcore will have things bumped up a bit.

Yes, I know they don't provide much food, compared to the others. But that is mainly because Fishermen can be set up and then forgotten about. Farming/Livestock need a lot more attention, and thus give better rewards.

However, I thought it foolish not to have Fishing because it can be such a food staple.

And as I'm writing the Fishing stuff, I realized something--I have a race that is basically THE fishing race, all set up for me! The Merdorfs! The following is a rewrite.

The Merdorfs:

The Merdorf people are a proud, strong people. Sadly, the last of the pure-blood Merfolk were wiped out in the Great Ending. the Merdorf come from a handful of Sober Dwarves and Merfolk that intermarried. The resultant mixture were cast out from both of their respective cultures, and forced to find their own way. The Merdorfs do not have the strong beards of normal Dwarves, but instead have mustaches (both sexes) of various sizes, shapes, colors, and styles. They have lost most of their former Dwarven affinity for creating wonderful tools, but still remember well the secrets of Gold. They do not have the webbed appendages of the Merfolk of old, but do require water to be nearby at all times. The Merdorfs managed to stay out of sight of most races following the Great Ending, and prospered for it.

The Merdorfs are unparallelled Fishermen, and the most advanced race in maritime technology. What secrets of metal-working they have lost, they have more than made up for in their advances in ships and ship-building technology. While the Dwarves are the unparallelled masters of metals, the Merdorfs are the unparallelled masters of the seas.

Merdorfs must build all their settlements bordering (Above, below, beside) water.

Merdorf Settlements/Cities may not stray more than (horizontal) 75-150 blocks from water (depending on difficulty). It is perfectly acceptable to build far above or far below water.

Merdorfs may build single-Steve boats in the Dirt Hovel stage. (Vanilla boats)

Merdorfs may use Wood in the Dirt Hovel stage only for building a dock out into/above the water. OR

Merdorfs may forgo the Dirt Hovel and instead build a Hovelboat on the surface of the water, using the same dimensions and requirements as the Dirt Hovel. The Floor/Keel/etc of the Houseboat may be wood, but everything above the water/floor/base of the Houseboat must be some kind of Dirt.

Merdorfs must have one underwater settlement constructed by the time they hit Diamond Capital.

Merdorfs must have one Settlement built on top of the water by the time they hit Glowstone Expansion.

The Settlement on top of the water or Underwater Settlement must be the Settlement that has the Merdorf's main Nether Portal (to counteract the extreme heat of the Nether)

Merdorfs have a Population Cap of 50 per Settlement in the Nether.

Merdorfs produce 50% of the standard Agriculture (except Fishing) per population

Merdorf Fishermen produce 200% the amount of food that other races do.

Merdorf Fishermen know how to keep from overfishing an area. 1-2 additional Merdorfs may fish in the same area without overfishing it.

Merdorfs may begin using Gold in the Stone Hamlet stage.

YX33A, this is how I intend to slowly add to the races up to the 3 subraces per race (generally the pureblood, and two lesser or mixed bloods). Not all at once, but as something comes to me.

Hovelboats/Houseboats will have some special requirements all their own--I'm working on finishing up the Fishing section atm, but basically it will need to have a docking/landing area for boats (wool that a boat can bump up against without breaking), and maybe a couple more things.

Fishermen in Stone Hamlet Stage

These rules will eventually be copy/pasted to the Agriculture stage, and then referred over to the Agriculture page every following stage.

Still got a lot of work left on the Hamlet stage.

The Plantations, the Bee Keepers, all the Transportation stuff...That's not counting the Hardcore stuff.

However, the Hardcore stuff will actually be easier for me. I just need to make the Normal stuff more difficult, and toss in one or two new things. The Hardcore stuff needs a rewrite badly, and I've gotten all the sections I want to cover pasted in like 2-3 months ago, I just haven't really worked on it. All the old crap is there, just after the bare sections I'm going to work on....but compared to what I've done recently......*shudders* (And I like doing *verb*, okay? It's a holdover from the good old IMing days on Yahoo, AIM, MSN........ah, the good old days when dialup was still the main mode of internet.......*shudders*)

Then it's on to actually finishing Redstone (and touching up Iron here and there), and from there, finishing things off.

Last edited:

Littggr

Jul 29, 2019
I gotta say Maul, this is the best challenge I've yet to encounter :)

One question about building. In Stage 2, you mention "standard support rules" would these be the hovel rules from the previous stage? 1 pillar (1x1 wood/stone/"hard" material or 2x2 dirt/clay/"soft" material) holding up a 1 block area around it?

I can happily say I completed the dirtcore section with a score of 63 :)

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been halfway looking a this challenge set and I think I may start it up using my custom pack (a magical steampunk-ish pack). I'll add my own flavor to it all (most likely references to a RPG setting I've had a hand in for nearly two decades), which would definitely help with the writeups.

My one main question is regarding the migrants/residents (and this is probably due to my own ignorance of not having read most of this thread): How are people representing their migrants/residents? I don't really want to add mods that affect villagers, but I also don't think "caging" up regular villagers would be a good solutions.

I'm thinking of just using Open Blocks' armor stand as de-facto residents, as they have a humanoid shape and faces; I'd just dress them in colored leather armor as a way to show jobs (and possibly name the armor stands if possible, or use a sign next to it for identification).

Littggr

Jul 29, 2019
Tristam,
Personally, I'm using the Sim-U-Craft mod to represent the people living in my cities as it allows you to build your own residences for them and makes them eat food and be useful (lumberjacks, farmers, bakers, and the like)

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Tristam,
Personally, I'm using the Sim-U-Craft mod to represent the people living in my cities as it allows you to build your own residences for them and makes them eat food and be useful (lumberjacks, farmers, bakers, and the like)
Unfortunately, that's not something I want to delve into, at least partially due to the fact I think the models for the Sim-U citizens are horrendous. I think I will just stick with my plan for wooden residents.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I've mentioned it before, but Custom NPCs still works well to fill in your kingdom. You don't have to set them up to be anything more than placeholders, but you can gear them appropriately, change their models to look race appropriate, and they (can) look a tad better than target dummies everywhere. Granted, it requires another mod in your pack with associated headache of making sure Item IDs don't conflict, but it can be pretty painless.

I tried working out coding the requirements into the NPCs, and I still think it's possible, but it is more work than I'm willing to throw at it right now. Still trying to tweak what mods I think provide a good challenge without adding too much headache or world-gen silliness.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I've mentioned it before, but Custom NPCs still works well to fill in your kingdom. You don't have to set them up to be anything more than placeholders, but you can gear them appropriately, change their models to look race appropriate, and they (can) look a tad better than target dummies everywhere. Granted, it requires another mod in your pack with associated headache of making sure Item IDs don't conflict, but it can be pretty painless.

I tried working out coding the requirements into the NPCs, and I still think it's possible, but it is more work than I'm willing to throw at it right now. Still trying to tweak what mods I think provide a good challenge without adding too much headache or world-gen silliness.
Hm. I may have to take a look at Custom NPCs; I haven't really heard anything about it nor seen anyone use it. If it isn't too invasive or overwrite vanilla villagers, I may give it a try.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. I may have to take a look at Custom NPCs; I haven't really heard anything about it nor seen anyone use it. If it isn't too invasive or overwrite vanilla villagers, I may give it a try.
It has a crap ton of items you can't craft but can give NPCs(well, okay, not TOO many), and takes up like 3 block IDs. I totally suggest using it.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I gotta say Maul, this is the best challenge I've yet to encounter :)

One question about building. In Stage 2, you mention "standard support rules" would these be the hovel rules from the previous stage? 1 pillar (1x1 wood/stone/"hard" material or 2x2 dirt/clay/"soft" material) holding up a 1 block area around it?

I can happily say I completed the dirtcore section with a score of 63 :)

Standard support rules refers to the pillar, etc. yes. and congrats!

My one main question is regarding the migrants/residents (and this is probably due to my own ignorance of not having read most of this thread): How are people representing their migrants/residents? I don't really want to add mods that affect villagers, but I also don't think "caging" up regular villagers would be a good solutions.

I'm thinking of just using Open Blocks' armor stand as de-facto residents, as they have a humanoid shape and faces; I'd just dress them in colored leather armor as a way to show jobs (and possibly name the armor stands if possible, or use a sign next to it for identification).

There are a few options out there, I've identified 4 main options aside from corralling testificates/using your imagination that they're there. Personally I prefer Custom NPCs and because I like it so much I'll save it for last.

Minecraft Comes Alive. This is a testificate replacement mod that could work if you wanted it to. It's pretty neat, in that the villagers actually harvest stuff. Not necessarily the best for this challenge, but just putting it out there.

Millenaire. Let's face it, this mod is ancient and is still being worked on and is pretty bad-ass. Even if it's not the best for this particular challenge, it still replaces villagers, so I'm putting it in here.

Sim-U-Kraft. It's another fun villager replacement thing, and probably the closest you can get to something useful for this challenge without Custom NPCs. I've never played it myself, but it looks really neat.

Custom NPCs. Does not overwrite vanilla villagers, unlike SUK and MCA. I believe this was originally intended for Adventure maps and servers, but it is an incredibly powerful tool. You can literally use ANY Minecraft skin (just need to download it, put it in a folder), arm the NPCs however you want (any item you can wield, they can too), have them respawn, have them not respawn, change the size (from tiny to enormous), give them an internal inventory, have different jobs (healer, guard, bard), and roles (Teleport you from place to place, give you items, a bank feature that can hold up to 6 double chests worth of stuff [Town clerk anyone?], etc). This is before even touching on the Quest mechanics, the ability to set up various factions (towns, or your empire and bandits, etc)......

I highly recommend Custom NPCs. It DOES have a learning curve, but IMO is well worth it.

Might I also recommend CraftHeraldry, to help liven up your towns. Choose one for everywhere, one for only the capital, one only for the guards, one only for the agriculturalists.......or give every single house a unique one.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Littggr

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at Custom NPCs I might end up using them for the guards, thieves, pirates, butlers (item givers could be great) using the factions setup to make them fight each other on sight. I'm definitely going to have to look more into what this mod can do.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Custom NPCs. Does not overwrite vanilla villagers, unlike SUK and MCA. I believe this was originally intended for Adventure maps and servers, but it is an incredibly powerful tool. You can literally use ANY Minecraft skin (just need to download it, put it in a folder),

On that note Maul, do you, or anyone else really, have any recommended skin sources for races? I like the idea of having multiple races and having various factions/groups/outliers being primarily of one race or another with specific skill sets etc. All refugees of all nations banding together what you will.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
On that note Maul, do you, or anyone else really, have any recommended skin sources for races? I like the idea of having multiple races and having various factions/groups/outliers being primarily of one race or another with specific skill sets etc. All refugees of all nations banding together what you will.
The site you download the mod off of has some packs of skins, and a music pack. Other then that, the skins are mostly compatible with vanilla Minecraft skins.(with a few exceptions like beards on dwarf's not being there, or bewbs on females not being there, and "Furry" skins not being compatible with vanilla Minecraft skins unless sized up to 64 or something)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Not really, Mobius. Aside from going to one of the many Minecraft skin sites out there and downloading the ones you want.

So fun fact--a LONG time ago I wanted to do a change-log type thing, but I'm far too lazy for that, when I've got a Wiki-style mode of entry, and I don't have to push releases out to people like a mod developer.

SO. I'm going to try to start something new. If you go to the very first post you will find 2 new spoilers.

The first contains pages that I am actively working on.

The second contains pages that I am satisfied/recently finished working on.

I will try to keep it up to date. Just my lazybones way of doing a semi-changelog. :p

I'm currently working on the Races page to put on paper--er, zeroes and ones my alluded to but never explained Founder Races, Outlier Races, and Immigration Races.

In brief--Founder Races are the Race that found the Capital, Outlier Races start the Outliers, and Immigrant Races come in every Stage (not necessarily the same races every stage).

Assuming nobody posts after me, I will be editing this post with what I come up with, along with a link to the Races page (which doesn't currently have Merdorfs). Which, I mean, is surprising for me. Once I hit Reply I NEVER edit my posts.

Multiple times.

like 10-15 times.

Nope, never.

Quick note on the Races page, I'm reorganizing it to:

Pureblood Race
Sub-race: X
Pureblood Other Race
Sub-Race Y
Pureblood Your Mom
Sub-Race That's what She Said

And yes, it will have the updated Merdorfs-as-fishing-race edited in, it's already there, just haven't hit save yet.

• EDIT: I love Bullet Points
  • They're so shiny and fun
  • Wheee@!!!!!!!
  • Nope, I'm not high.
    • Seriously, guys, I'm not.
    • I'm just having fun with this.
    • :D
      • WHEEE!!!!!!
      • Wow, what a Dork
    • I know, right?

Also, if you guys have any ideas for Races, feel free to let me know. PM, post, etc. I do reserve the right to say no, those aren't in the official race list, but, you know, feel free to Rule of Cool (my first and most IMPORTANT rule of this Challenge) them into your own Challenge.

If I DO decide to include them in the official race list, you will be credited.

What I am looking for:

Fun, relatively original races.

What I'm NOT looking for:

Tolkien/WoW/etc rip-offs.

If you do rip something off, rip something (relatively) obscure off, like I did with Dwarf Fortress. It's not necessarily REALLY obscure, but it's definitely not mainstream.

If you can give them a fun backstory, I'm more likely to like them.

Nope, I never go back and edit my posts.

Never.

Races page is updated! Check it out!

Founding Race

The Founding Race is the race that you start with. If you are starting a new race in the middle of a challenge, feel free to pick any race at all, but be sure to make sure that your population/builds fit into your chosen Race. Make all of the Percentages fit, build more if you need to. If you have overbuilt, that's fine, don't worry, you don't need to tear your overbuilt stuff down. It's just less you have to build later.

The Founding Race will normally be 40-60% of the Immigrants to the Capital in any given Stage, and 10-25% of the Immigrants in an Outlier if the Outlier Race is not the same as the Founding Race.

The Following Races may NOT be used as Founding Races (except in Rule of Cool exceptions):

• Zombie Pigmen
    • Available as an Outlier/Immigrant Race at/after Glowstone Expansion

Outlier Race

Outlier Races are essentially Founding Races, except that they are founding Outliers, not the Capital of the Civilization. Outlier Races make up at least 40% of all Immigrants to that specific Outlier.

Major Race

Founding/Outlier Races may change over time, if you want. Say you start with Humans, but slowly Goblins take over the town. If an Immigrant Race reaches 75-80% of the population in the Capital/Outlier, they become the new Major race. The Founding Race will still be Human, but Goblins take over the majority of the population, and take over the Founding Race bonuses. The Founding Race will still continue to arrive, but in smaller numbers (unless you have a wave or two of the same race as the Founding Race), in both the Capital and the Outliers.

If a Major Race gets overtaken by the Founding Race (or another Race), they fade back into relative obscurity, but are guaranteed to arrive every Stage in drastically reduced numbers. Also, there may be several Major Races. I.E. The Founding Race gets taken over by Race A, which gets taken over by Race B, which gets taken over by Race C before the Founding Race manages to get back on top. at this point the Founding Race retains its majority, but Races A-C still manage to keep coming in every stage in decreased numbers.

Immigrant Race (by Stage)

Generally, most of the folks that come to a certain Capital/Outlier are from the same Race as the Founding/Outlier race. But if you want, other races may come settle in your Capital/Outliers. This race will generally not come in sufficient numbers to entirely outnumber the Founding/Outlier Race. Whatever Race you decide to bring in will need to follow their standard Racial Ruleset, and ignore the Racial Ruleset of the Founding/Outlier Race.

For example numbers, the wiki page has a rough %age guide for the Capital/Outliers, the takeover of a Major Race, and the resurgence of the Founding Race over the Major Race with the Major Race still present.

Aaaaaand Normal Stone Hamlet is (nearly) done being revised!

All I've got left is to fill in some stuff in the Outlier section, and the Food Requirements. Then I redo the Hardcore section.

New this time around--getting ships going, hot air ballooons, the militia is introduced here (instead of Iron Village) in a much more modular way so I don't need to spend so much time on it in future stages, fishing, and bee keeping!

I like my joke Soldier Class. :p

Poked around a bit with the Crime page. I'd appreciate some feedback on the Pirate section. This is still a rough outline, and it has all the old stuff preserved (albeit split up above and below the new stuff).

What do you think of this as a format for Criminals?

I did bump up the Crew requirements for upgrading the bases, but that's based on the number of crew required for the various ships.

As it stands right now, the Pirate Outlier population requirement is just over the amount you need to crew 1 of all 4 ships. It's also a much smoother ramp up to the Pirate Outlier, even if you need 25 fewer people to actually build the Pirate Outlier. Also, starting in the fort, Crime Lords set up shop with the Pirates. Though technically they'd be Pirate Crime Lords.

Aaaaaand I'm done for the day. :p

Won't be able to respond until tomorrow, but I can check on the thread on my PS3 (too much of a PITA to do replies on it).

stupid broken laptop. Good news is that HP is going to take care of it because the damn hard drive failed. yay for not having to pay for a new OS.

Yes, I know, Linux snobs. I know.

.....shut up. :p

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm planning on doing a run as a Sergal, with my main race being Sergals.

It's very similar to the Pigman I'd say, seeing as I based the stats in my head roughly off of the Pigman "race", but they end up being exactly like I'd imagine playing Dworf Fortress using the Sergal Mod would be; bloody and expansionist.

First things first, Magic at Dirt Hovel focusing on Blood Magic if possible.(if you don't have the resources, sucks, but *sunglasses fall onto my head neatly covering my eyes* Deal With It)

Tech two one levels higher then normal(so smelting is okay for anything at this level if you can harvest it) with the exception that they MUST try to get Blood Magic up and running ASAP if they have it installed(so for me, yes, I will be doing this)

300% Military(holy hell, do Sergals love to kill things)

300% Food Consumption(sergals eat as much as they can since they are roughly Apex Predators)

50% Nobility(because they only care if you're leading them in battle, since only General Rain is worthy to sit on her throne, plus no one wants to be the one on it when she comes back)

50% Crime(they are, in fact, pretty much ALWAYS a Military state, basically, so you have to be either damn tough, or very well connected, to not be stabbed repeatedly if you are a criminal, usually cutting these numbers down to roughly zero percent except for corrupt military folk)

Spears are their primary weapon choice, but will take what they can get so long as it is pointy and good for stabbing(aka TiC weapons are mainly Rapiers if possible but anything is allowed)

Sergals are Carnivores, full stop. No measly bread will feed these people, they eat only meat for solid food, but notably Honey is okay, but Honeyed Slices are not, no apples unless they are golden, no carrots unless they are golden(the cost alone makes these okay), and golden heads are worth 30 times the amount of food they really are(so one head is 30 steaks, basically)

"Is It Meat?": Do you get it out of the ground or off a tree? If no, is it produced by killing things? If yes, sergals will normally eat it with wild abandon. Cooking their food is usually optional, and seeing as they occasionally eat their food live, not always feasible. Sergals thus can eat literally anything you give them if it isn't plant matter, whether or not it's "good for you" or "raw and will make you sick". Cooked food is naturally better for them, mind you, so uncooked food is worth half normal value, while jerky is worth 1.5 units per food resource(so it takes 6 raw fish, 3 cooked fish, or 2 fish jerky, to equal 3 points) due to it "tasting better". Seriously, Sergals love dat shit. Jerky is like bacon to people like me to them. Though this is mostly due to them having poorly developed tastebuds which make salting and pickling things pretty much the apex of their culinary fields.
Going to use a mod I already have for my NPCs, Ancient Warfare. It now has actual NPCs you can spawn, so this will be easy I think. Going to do this in Hardcore mode, but don't get too excited as I'm only doing so to force me to play hard mode, as I can(and will) have Sync running within 5 minutes of my starting the game proper.
I think I'll even record it. And put in on Youtube(unlisted mind you). Will be roughly done, and likely ugly as all hell, but it'll help me remember what I'm doing, aka a Challenge, which will help me not dick about.

Just a quick question. Where does Mystcraft lie again, in terms of when I can use it? If we're going off of actual resources, then I can start as soon as I can use Iron, which is Iron Stage(wood for me).

And don't worry, the Rule of Cool can and WILL be used a bit to spice things up a bit, as well as a tiny bit of "I just need this ONE item and I'll be good" spawning in things, but only just a bit of it(nothing like a Nether Star at game start, or portal gun portals at game start).
EDIT: Did some testing, and ugh, no, I think I'll pass on those bloody forts near villages. Other then that, I'm good. Found a nice enough village(derpy built it, it seems), but most importantly, it has a blacksmith and is near a hot enough biome I could call home. Funny how Minecraft default Biome selection works. A Friggin' Desert style biome next to a place cold enough it snows.

Last edited:

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so here goes...

This is my journal for my Refugee to Regent challenge; I'm basing it somewhat on an event that occurred in a paper and pencil RPG. It's a fantasy setting, with lots and lots of races. Magic and technology don't mix in this world, to the point where using tech in a high magic zone can be... explosive.

I'm using a custom pack to do this challenge; the mods are as follows:

Armor Status HUD
Ars Magica 2
Autoutils
Bibliocraft
BiblioWoods - BoP, Forestry, Natura
Binnie's Mods
Biomes O' Plenty
Blood Magic
bspkrsCore
Chicken Chunks
Chisel
Chocolate Quest
CodeChickenCore
CoFH Core
ComputerCraft*
CustomNPCs
Damage Indicators
Deadly World
Ender Storage
EVOC
Extra Utils
Extra TiC
Finndus Fillies
Flat Signs
Forestry*
Hats + HatStand
iChun Util
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chest
JABBA
KeithyUtils
Lava Monsters
Magic Bees
Metallurgy 3
MobiusCore
Mystcraft
Natura
NEI
NEI Addons + Plugins
Obsidian Pressure Plates
OpenBlocks
OPIS
ProjectRed Core + Integration*
Railcraft*
Redstone Arsenal*
Status Effect HUD
Switches
Thaumcraft 4
Thaumic Tinkerer (+ Kami much later)
Thermal Expansion*
Tinkers' Construct
Tinkers' Mechworks

The mods marked with an asterisk are going to be restricted in my playthrough due to being in a high magic area and with myself acting as one of the more magical races. This doesn't discount these mods being used by an outlier that may or may not be friendly; it also depends if I find a biome or area that looks appropriate for a magic-dead zone, which will allow the tech to work. I do plan on having some hostile camps spring up in the surrounding area as I progress through the challenge, as it's very appropriate for this setting.

A brief explanation of my character's race: He is an Ancient, an extremely long lived race with strong ties to magic. Over the course of their long lives, they often learn and forget many things, including what magics they know. Traumatic experiences can influence this, which is where this story starts...

However, Ancients are extremely rare, so most of the migrants to the surrounding areas (be it the capitol or outliers) will be of a large assortment of races. I can try keeping a tally based on race types (as I said there are a LOT of races I'll be using for this \o/), but I think overall it will be better just to run it with a few across the board bonuses and penalties.

First, Magic starts to be available during Wood Settlement.

Conversely, Technology will only start to be available in Glowstone Expansion, and only in outliers in "magic dead" zones. Mainly only the less magic-oriented races will reside in these areas (humans, dwarves, the occasional greenskin if the dwarves don't kill 'em).

Due the the fragmented nature of everything going on, 100% more Outliers must be built each stage (rounding up and first one starting in Wood Settlement), but (a la Rule of Cool) there's no guarantee they will be friendly to me (or even to each other... God help me with trying to set up the Custom NPC factions). They will also probably be spread around quite a bit.

The beginnings of the adventure:
Day 1?
I have fled. The only image that remains in my brain is of the monsterous beast, Dragon, among the burning ruins of... of... I have forgotten. It must be a place I call...ed home. But I fled. How long I have wandered, I do not know, but I am worse for wear. My memory fades the farther I go. I fear I may lose everything this time.

Day 2:
I have found myself some place... rejuvenating. I feel the magic here. The size of the trees here is more than evident of this fact. If I stay here long enough, I should hopefully be able to recover enough to... to do something. I have stumbled across some berry-bearing bushes while wandering around the area, but also in doing so I have found that some undead take shelter under the shade of the largest of trees. I must avoid them for now. In the mean time, I will begin settling here.

I will take some screenshots as I progress further as well as keep a periodic journal. Oh, and I plan on mainly aiming for the Normal ruleset.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta say, this is exactly why I set out to start this challenge in the first place--as an aid to creativity. Makes me happy to see how creative you both are getting. Can't wait to see more.