[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Fun fact: Railcraft 7.0, you can make Wooden Rails at a crafting bench. no rolling machine required!

Sorry for the lack of updating the Iron Village, guys. I've just had a severe case of writer's block. >.<

Fortunately, it lifted, for at least a little while tonight. I AM trying, despite what my writer's block might indicate. here's what I came up with:

The Iron Village stage is all about making sure that your population is educated, healthy, happy, and protected. To that end, you need to build a school, a hospital, entertainment, shopping, and the start of the town guard. The Commander (or whatever you call him) should be better equipped than the rank and file.

In addition, I've come up with a few new ideas for Outliers, namely their specialization (Mining, Agriculture, Tech, Magic, or Military). There are a few core elements per Outlier (Population buildings, a small amount of defense, etc), and after that you get to put in the specialized buildings.

After that, each Outlier must send back 10% of what they produce back to the main Village/City/etc as tribute each stage. Can be 1 time or multiple times per stage, as long as it happens at least once.

And if it's a Mining Outlier, I'll add in requirements later for how far down (Y level) their mineshaft reaches. Beyond that you don't need to mine there at all if you don't want to.

I'm not fully done with this stage, obviously, but this should be a decent start if any of you have gotten close to Iron.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
With regards to Outliers, every Outlier should have at least a wooden palisade until it reaches a population threshold. At each threshold, the wall has to be upgraded in one way or another, through material or tech/magic. By Iron level population, the Outliers has to have at least one dispenser arrow turret per section of wall. Maybe 50 block or so? This should apply to the main city too. By Redstone Discovery, the wall has to be upgraded with blast-proofing of some type. Warded Stone or Reinforced Concrete(whatever the IC2 stuff is called).

Zelgar

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the time you are putting into converting this Maul. I’ve found that I never really get into FTB/Tekkit worlds because I forget to play Minecraft with them; I just rush to get the new toys then find I’ve got a virtually empty world to go with my hi-tech machine plant and big holes. Result is I go back to my long term Minecraft worlds instead. This seems like the perfect antidote to chasing the shiny.

I opted to include castle challenge which has been a bit of a pain given my spawn; towards the edge of a jungle with the next biome being a flipping marsh :) I decided to largely skimp on effort building during the wood phase due to lack of space and just do the minimum to rush to stone so I have stone axes and shovels to chop down trees/gather the dirt to reclaim the marsh. Ocelot spawning may become an issue though... never really looked into their spawn mechanics but already getting overrun.

I did choose to break one rule, albeit in a way which adds flavour. I found a portal gun on my first venture into the wilds and have opted to use it once to transplant a couple of refugee villagers into my hamlet.

I also found a bucket, so technically could go to the Nether once I find 11 lava source blocks. I guess this isn’t meant to be done before the Glowstone Expansion phase though so you might want to add that caveat to the bucket rule. I dislike torch spam enough to go to the effort of building a frame portal just to get some netherrack and glowstone.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using treecapitator to make getting wood a little easier. You can destroy full axe on one jungle tree and still not get all of it, so I don't it's overpowered. It's a quality of life issue given the sheer amount of wood you need for every single stage.

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
Question about the smeltery from the tinkers construct mod. Is this enabled in the iron stage? ( I'm just starting the iron stage, still gathering resources. )

EDIT: Also I had an idea for greatwood logs. If you use greatwood logs instead of vanilla or any other kind of non-magic logs for mine shaft supports, due to greatwood log's slight magical properties, could a support out of greatwood logs support more weight? My proposal is instead of having normal log supports every 10 blocks if you could have greatwood log supports every 15 or 20 blocks?

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Question about the smeltery from the tinkers construct mod. Is this enabled in the iron stage? ( I'm just starting the iron stage, still gathering resources. )

EDIT: Also I had an idea for greatwood logs. If you use greatwood logs instead of vanilla or any other kind of non-magic logs for mine shaft supports, due to greatwood log's slight magical properties, could a support out of greatwood logs support more weight? My proposal is instead of having normal log supports every 10 blocks if you could have greatwood log supports every 15 or 20 blocks?

Maul's previous statement concerning TConstruct is that you can use one level up for tier. For instance, Wood Settlement can use wood and paper tools because they have mining level 0: Stone. Stone Hamlet can use everything mining level 1: Iron, and so on. So, the Iron Village would be mining level 2: Redstone. I don't think the smeltery is required for any of the level 2 tools(except bronze), but none of the parts of the smeltery are made of high tier materials.

I think my call would that you can technically make a smeltery in the Iron Village, but you could only actually use bronze. I would something similar to how you can smelt anything during the Stone Hamlet, but you can't use any metal at all until Iron.

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I went ahead and made it as a part of the tinkerers home. The only thing I did was make a set of the brass casts (3 Aluminum 1 Copper alloy)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
With regards to Outliers, every Outlier should have at least a wooden palisade until it reaches a population threshold. At each threshold, the wall has to be upgraded in one way or another, through material or tech/magic. By Iron level population, the Outliers has to have at least one dispenser arrow turret per section of wall. Maybe 50 block or so? This should apply to the main city too. By Redstone Discovery, the wall has to be upgraded with blast-proofing of some type. Warded Stone or Reinforced Concrete(whatever the IC2 stuff is called).

I'm actually considering from a certain point making walls around the entire city optional/[Challenge], because a lot of cities had the core protected, but a lot of what lay outside was just plain outside the walls, once a city grew to a certain size.

Eventually I want to put in a [Challenge] to have vanilla TNT cannons implanted in the wall for defense. From there on it will be your self-control that keeps your landscape looking nice :p

Thanks for the time you are putting into converting this Maul. I’ve found that I never really get into FTB/Tekkit worlds because I forget to play Minecraft with them; I just rush to get the new toys then find I’ve got a virtually empty world to go with my hi-tech machine plant and big holes. Result is I go back to my long term Minecraft worlds instead. This seems like the perfect antidote to chasing the shiny.

Which is pretty much why I decided to make this. I had the same thing. In my just-past SMP world, I emptied out part of a mountain, but ended up only having like 3 rooms while I built up tech. And I had intended to make a village around it. You just get way too caught up in the tech-rush.

I opted to include castle challenge which has been a bit of a pain given my spawn; towards the edge of a jungle with the next biome being a flipping marsh :)

....must....resist....Monty Python......

I did choose to break one rule, albeit in a way which adds flavour. I found a portal gun on my first venture into the wilds and have opted to use it once to transplant a couple of refugee villagers into my hamlet.

I've been considering adding in a rule where you can get 2 Testificate spawn eggs from the very beginning, just so you can have some life to your Kingdom.

I also found a bucket, so technically could go to the Nether once I find 11 lava source blocks. I guess this isn’t meant to be done before the Glowstone Expansion phase though so you might want to add that caveat to the bucket rule. I dislike torch spam enough to go to the effort of building a frame portal just to get some netherrack and glowstone.

Yup, I'll be sure to do that.
Maul's previous statement concerning TConstruct is that you can use one level up for tier. For instance, Wood Settlement can use wood and paper tools because they have mining level 0: Stone. Stone Hamlet can use everything mining level 1: Iron, and so on. So, the Iron Village would be mining level 2: Redstone. I don't think the smeltery is required for any of the level 2 tools(except bronze), but none of the parts of the smeltery are made of high tier materials.

I think my call would that you can technically make a smeltery in the Iron Village, but you could only actually use bronze. I would something similar to how you can smelt anything during the Stone Hamlet, but you can't use any metal at all until Iron.

Yeah, you can build the Smeltery anytime......I forgot that you get roughly 2 uses/ore block. Hmmmm......makes me want to make this a Hardcore requirement for Tinkers tools. It would certainly be a unique way to double your ore before electricity, since it can output raw (Vanilla/copper) ingots.....and less PITA than the grindstone......

......HMMMMM.........I know for sure I'm going to use it ASAP. main problem is the lava, lol (and yet ANOTHER kind of copper ingot :D).....

time to try this out on tin and some other ores see what comes out.

To the lab!

Only Gold produces Ingots, custom ores don't work. :(

Oh, right. Yeah, anything that can mine Redstone, and you can make as many casts as you want. I'm about to start tonight's work on the Iron stage, so I'll be sure to add that.

Quick Change:

If you have Forestry 2.whatever installed and have access to the Clockwork Engine, this replaced the Redstone Engine in the Iron Village stage. Wooden Pipes are unaffected.

Also, once I get some free time (read: Ahead of you guys), I'm going to be going into Bibliocraft and transcribing the stage rules into books by stage/difficulty level. Then I'll put them up for download, and as long as you have Bibliocraft 1.20, you will be able to print the books with a printing press (pretty much the only time I'll advocate in-game cheating (as long as you get rid of the printing press as soon as you get the books), in case you want in-game copies of the rules). Which will make your library even more full than before.

I also plan to do some lore, just for fun.

Oh. One tiny detail?

Mystcraft is unlocked in full (how would I partially unlock it, lol?) in the Iron Village stage. Have fun.

Player Base Requirements are finished--borrowing heavily on Bibliocraft because it's AWESOME. Basically, 2x libraries (Ars Magica scroll library--yeah, Ars Magica spell scrolls should work in Bibliocraft--and Mystcraft Library) and the start of your Thaumaturge Tower.

Going to do the Village Villa requirements, touch up a few Community Buildings things, add Palisades to the Outlier, and a minimum distance for the Outlier, add in food requirements to advance, and I'm basically done with Normal Difficulty.

Then I get to do Hardcore. :D

After I do Normal's Village Center (upgrade of Community Center) upgrades (Two words: Tinker's. Construct. It is my #1 favorite mod atm). derp.

Challenge Outlier:

The Direwolf Outlier. It may be any type of Outlier, but its buildings may ONLY be 9x9 cubes (default is cobble, but you can use whatever you want). Every few blocks, you should place random signs saying either "Cool" or "Awesome"

And as I wrap up so I can get a good night's sleep before work tomorrow, I leave you with the populations from Normal/Hardcore in Wood-Iron stages:

Normal Wood:

1-2 (will probably get raised to 1-3 soon)

WoodCore:

3-7

Normal Stone:

3-4 (probably raised to 3-6) +1-2=4 Minimum, 6 Max

StoneCore:

6-10+3-7=9 minimum, 17 Max

Normal Iron:

8-14 6-12 (Houses)+4 Militiamen (Barracks)+4-6=14 Minimum, 22 Max

Commander, Mining Guild Leader, Doctor (Hospital), Shopkeeper (Shop), Teacher (School), Theater proprietor (Theater)......plus Watchmen......eesh. I'm gonna have to raise it higher than I thought.

IronCore (rough guess):

12-17 (Houses)+8 Militiamen (in a Barracks)+9-17=23-36

Let's see....Commander, Watchmen, Mining Guild Leader, Doctor, Shopkeeper, Teacher, Theater Proprietor.....

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you can build the Smeltery anytime......I forgot that you get roughly 2 uses/ore block. Hmmmm......makes me want to make this a Hardcore requirement for Tinkers tools. It would certainly be a unique way to double your ore before electricity, since it can output raw (Vanilla/copper) ingots.....and less PITA than the grindstone......

......HMMMMM.........I know for sure I'm going to use it ASAP. main problem is the lava, lol (and yet ANOTHER kind of copper ingot :D).....

time to try this out on tin and some other ores see what comes out.

To the lab!

Only Gold produces Ingots, custom ores don't work. :(

all ores work for me, except for lead, silver, and ferrous ore, but i'm using a custom build of solitary craft 1.5 beta

Basically in my modpack what does work is: Copper, Aluminum, Iron, Gold, tin, (and all the other TConstruct ores)

I thought the smeltery would be a decent way to go. Now all I have to do is grind up my lead and silver and i'll wait for 'lectricity to pulverize my ferrous ore.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf SuperChallenge: Your first three diamonds must be used for a Diamond Drill, or equivalent if not using IC2.

ETA:

GregTech Variant: Throw your first three diamonds into the nearest lava source, because GregTech.

Reactions: Toadswart

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If you want ingots from your Smeltery, just use a Ingot mold.
Direwolf SuperChallenge: Your first three diamonds must be used for a Diamond Drill, or equivalent if not using IC2.

ETA:

GregTech Variant: Throw your first three diamonds into the nearest lava source, because GregTech.
Revised GregTech Variant: First three diamonds go to a Macerator. Afterwards you can no longer mine diamonds, and must produce Industrial Diamonds. If you need actual diamonds, then you need to know how to turn Industrial Diamonds into Actual diamonds. Or use MineChem to obtain your diamonds.

Speaking of which, I need to figure out where I can get some technetium in MineChem. I have a novel idea how to get a very useful and important resource without a lot of effort. In theory in a fully automated manner too.

GalaEnitan

Jul 29, 2019
If you want ingots from your Smeltery, just use a Ingot mold.

Revised GregTech Variant: First three diamonds go to a Macerator. Afterwards you can no longer mine diamonds, and must produce Industrial Diamonds. If you need actual diamonds, then you need to know how to turn Industrial Diamonds into Actual diamonds. Or use MineChem to obtain your diamonds.

Speaking of which, I need to figure out where I can get some technetium in MineChem. I have a novel idea how to get a very useful and important resource without a lot of effort. In theory in a fully automated manner too.
IC2 changed industrial back to regular one now. Atleast from when i play Ultimate.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Keep up the good work! Here is my latest episode with my simplified variant of this challenge

Finally in the stone age - man I never wished for stone tools in my LIFE!

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
I've just about finished the Iron stage (its taken me FOREVER haha) what are the basic guidelines for the next stage so I can get started?

Edit: Never mind. I saw the second post by OP basically what I gathered is:

all non electric tools are unlocked
basic machinery is unlocked
basic power generation is unlocked

Is that about right?

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
yup, sorry, fallen behind with the challenge while I get a few other things taken care of.

Basically Pulverizers, Macerators, etc, basic power generators (Generator, Stirling, Redstone Engines). Batteries are the energy storage.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I've just about finished the Iron stage (its taken me FOREVER haha) what are the basic guidelines for the next stage so I can get started?

Edit: Never mind. I saw the second post by OP basically what I gathered is:

all non electric tools are unlocked
basic machinery is unlocked
basic power generation is unlocked

Is that about right?

Don't forget your population requirements. Your best bet is to just double Iron's population and upgrade your Outliers accordingly. Start a minecart transit system if you haven't already. Bonus points for a subway.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
right. Sorry about that guys. Been trying to put together a mod pack to do this in that has all the mods I enjoy.

I. HATE. Configs now.

Tools are still Iron (Vanilla) or Redstone stage for Tinker's. Diamond/next Tinker's Stage comes next turn (or intended to be. If you made such tools before I made this post--enjoy them with my compliments. That's what I get for slowing down :p ). Redstone Discovery is intended to be a slight pause in expansion while your best scientists leap forward technologically and magically. Same with Glowstone Expansion. And why do I pause before handing out Diamond/Electric tools? Well, because Glowstone Expansion/Nether is 2 stages away. Gold City you get Diamonds and collect Obsidian, Glowstone you head to the Nether and build a small fort. Every stage after that you guild it up more and more and more until by the end you have your own "Nether Fortress"

Finished up Normal for Iron, will get started on Redstone Expansion tomorrow. If you've already passed Iron on, I fleshed it out a little bit. Basically I'm going to be starting to add "named" NPCs. You've seen 2--Militia Commandant and the Mining Guild Leader. Redstone Expansion will see the Shaman (Magic major NPC), the Machinist (Tech major NPC), and possibly one or two more. Like, say, Agriculture. Or Librarian (in charge of Mystcraft books? Did the Myst/Riven mythos have special librarians? Can't remember). They should each get specialized homes, and offices (it's in the latest update to the Iron Village page) in your City's Administration Center (Community/Village/City/etc Center), unless they have an off-site work area (atm I only have Militia Commandant having an office outside the Admin Center). These major NPCs are your "advisors" in their fields. And should be outfitted accordingly. Also, some major NPCs will be part of your Militia Reserves, along with your Watchmen. IE the Mining Guild Leader.

ex: atm Iron Commandant must have Iron Tools and full armor (everyone else gets leather at this point) , Mining Guild Leader must have Iron Pick and Iron Helmet. IronCore Commandant will have to have Iron Armor, just like you, and I'm considering making it be Bronze tools for the major NPCs to make it stand out more. if only MDyio had his (her? dunno) Tinker's Armor crafting set up already.......

New buildings for Redstone Era:

Power Generation Building(s)

Up to you whether it's MJ only, EU only, Blutricity only, etc, or all in one. but there should be a building specifically set aside for nothing more for power generation.

Power Consuming Building(s)

Basically EU/MJ/Blutricity/etc workshops.

[Challenge] Run power lines next to your pathways to your Outliers (I'm specifically thinking of phone lines here, but however you want to run it)

Build 1-3 layers onto your Tribulation Tower

Build an office in your Admin Center for the Machinist and the Shaman, decorate accordingly (wrenches, spell scrolls, wands, gears, etc)

Get at least 3-4 new recruits to your Militia

Get your Commandant a Leftenant (not a typo)

Get your Leftenant a house like the Commandant (but not as big, not as nice)

Leftenant needs at least Iron sword, and a bow, and at least half his armor should be Iron (which half is up to you)

Build 5-8 Village Villas (your Village's concentration was on new technology this stage, but population will boom again come Gold City).

Build a new Outlier (again, pick what Focus your Outlier has)

and a few more things too. But that should keep you busy for a day or two.

Dare2Win

Jul 29, 2019
Just started this on SolitaryCraft (a modpack) and i am just starting the wooden settlement stage! Its really fun. I had seen this a while ago, but was adding Biomes o plenty and had some problems, but finally got a stable world :)