[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Welcome to Iron!

Or should I say welcome back. I'm feeling rather happy about our progress now that the Wood Hamlet stage is out of the way.

The way I'm playing I'm making up some personal rule modifications especially with the 10 block limit for supports. I'm saying 10 blocks for wood, and 16 for non-smooth or cobblestone supports so think stone brick or stone pavers. This falls into the rule of cool as I'm starting to get some dwarves moving in.

Reactions: Senseidragon

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Progress update: this week I've been building up my base and touching on a few of the flavor mods involved.

I also think that I'm going to put in a rule about 1 advanced (that would ordinarily be out of your reach, ie Diamond long before Gold City, etc) technology being allowed if there is a city devoted to the craft. Because Blood Magic is basically not really possible without a Weak Power Orb, which requires a diamond.

*Ah* I knew there was some message about that. Time to build cities :)

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings regents, Lady Clucks A'lot at your service.
I'm going to at least try to do a version of the challenge... as a chicken.
I plan to use the Coop Life modpack, but I have a few questions.
Hatchery spans a number of 'tiers'. Which tier would Hatchery belong in? (example, the nests are wheat and sticks, the chicken feeder requires a block of iron, animal nets are sticks and string.)
Resources can be mined, agricraft'd, chickens, or bees.

My residents will be a mix of chickens, passive mobs and testificates.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I'm going to at least try to do a version of the challenge... as a chicken.
Just simply awesome!

Hatchery spans a number of 'tiers'. Which tier would Hatchery belong in? (example, the nests are wheat and sticks, the chicken feeder requires a block of iron, animal nets are sticks and string.)

What I do for mods is to break them up in a number of accessible tiers.

For Hatchery:
Dirt/Clay
Little is accessible as of the dirt/clay stages without tools.
But if you don't mind getting your hands dirty:
  • Fertilized Soil
is available.

Wood
Anything that is purely wood or can be harvested with wooden tools is accessible.
From what I can see from the mod wiki, whose recipes sound different from the modpack:
  • Hatchery nests
  • Animal Nets
  • Nesting Pens
Stone
Nothing new

Iron

I think Iron caps out everything in Hatchery making all items available.
  • Fertilizer Sprayer
  • Feeder
  • Nursery Monitor
If there is an advanced item you want that needs diamonds, and I think Maul clarified this rule, make an outlier settlement dedicated to the mod.

Of course, any materials you breed through chickens, crops, or bees can only be used when you reach the appropriate tier. e.g. can only make iron swords when you reach iron.
Any found items can be used if you already know how to use a similar item, e.g. Unobtanium Swords, axes etc found in dungeon chests or traded for can be used once you have a wooden sword available to you already. But if you find an Ender Quarry or other advanced tech you'd only be able to use it when you reach the appropriate city tier.

Remember the Rule of Cool always applies.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Speaking of rules, I've found the need for a room to keep the rules I've been adding/adjusting and clarifying for myself. So I've started an administration building to keep myself organized.

I'll eventually put the stage rules in to make sure I have everything complete before moving to the next stage/sub-stage.

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
The League of Ordinary Gamers used minetweaker for Hatchery's recipes for at least some of them; the nests are SO easy now. No more haybale nonsense to just make the nest. -haaaa-

As for my progress, I have proceeded to start making my first 'chicken' houses. They are one block high inside, and at present I'm making them from clay. Found a testificate village on the edge of a ravine that drops nearly to the 30s-40s in world height. Some reason, I've got a multitude of I.E. villagers. No farmers, no blacksmiths, but 5-6 I.E. villagers.

I'm ...about to say a bit, but I'm not. I am a compulsive explorer. My map is HUGE. ATG generation makes the most beautiful worlds. Short of ice spikes, I've found every biome in this seed so far. Went to the trouble of tracking down a pair of wolves, a pair of ocelots (no fish yet), and a pair of rabbits. Rabbits are by far the most difficult thing to catch when you are one block tall. Ocelots too, to chase through the undergrowth.

2017-05-16_12.44.34.png

This is the first draft of my own hovel. Since then, I turned the dirt into clay, and the logs are going to be actual trees grown in.

2017-05-17_12.18.38.png

My goal is to attempt for a 'dragon' or 'phoenix' banner, did a bit of research but I need more oranges and apparently needed a gradient to get it right. So first attempt at a banner. Not bad, right? I hope? Maybe?
2017-05-17_12.19.11.png

And this is the first 'chicken home'. Making a 'work room/office' is difficult, I might need to expand the dimensions, and work on getting myself a clay chicken. I've not quite finished my trek around the continent, but when you are one block tall and can't fly (or creative flight lags out your laptop).... time is your enemy. The beds for any animals will be 'simple bedding' hay beds or nesting pens or egg nests so far. The testificates will get beds when I incorporate them. Stone hamlet or later though.

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
After much hm'ing and hawing (including some derping about with the same seed and recurrent complex, adding and removing mods [improved villagers is not a good idea to use] and basically wasting time), the agricultural hovel is nearing 'completion'. I think it needs some decor inside, and a few more fences. You know villagers (and horses), they love to walk on everything. Curse that infernal pathing AI... -mutter-
2017-05-19_19.43.03.png

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking into a few options for trying to get this in-game.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any mod that combines the clipboard's check-off feature with a book to write in--or an editor where I can write a book and finalize it except for the check boxes.

Next I looked into something like Progression, but that's been discontinued.

So, finally, I'm looking into HQM. Not necessarily as a means to limit growth, tool usage, etc. But more as a way for people to have something, maybe easily crafted, that can be used or something to signify when they complete certain events, buildings, population, etc.

Plus I think this would allow me to nest quests within quests. With, for example, the Main Quest being the stages, categories as side-quests, with completion of (parts of) side-quests opening up additional side-quests.

For example, someone that doesn't like stockpiling could ignore stockpile-esque quests, and focus on, say, combat quests. Someone who likes mining could do X, while someone who wants to focus on the created pantheon could W.

For now, I think that I will set Quest Completion to a full set of tools for the tool stages. However, there are some stages without tools that can be constructed by their materials.

Here are my initial thoughts:

• Dirt: Crafting Bench, Dirt, Clay, Wooden Hoe
    • Possibly only Dirt, maybe replace the Hoe with a Fishing Rod or something simple like that. Though string can be a PITA to acquire, and Hoes are relatively simple.
  • Wood: Full set of Wooden Tools
  • Stone: Full set of Stone Tools
  • Iron: Full set of Iron Tools
  • Gold: Full set of Gold Tools
  • Lapis: Obsidian, Flint, Netherrack, Nether Quartz
  • Emerald: Eye of Ender, End Stone, End Crystal
  • Diamond: Full set of Diamond Tools

After looking at the Quest editor a bit, I think that for the Stages, it will be a Consume Items or QDS option.....that gives you the exact same tools back after you complete the Quest (???)

For housing:

• Repeatable Quests, with a requirement of "X House subquests in Stage Y"
    • House subquests would basically be "1 bed, 1 table, 1 door," etc.
    • It would totally be on the honor system to actually PLACE said items, and if you wanted to do more than just the basic requirements.

Basically anything that I try will be judged against being relatively accessible while providing as much freedom to Rule of Cool anything. I feel that the Challenge being not necessarily a hard and fast regulation but more of a jumping off point is one of its stronger features.

Besides, this kind of thing would allow other people to tailor the experience to themselves. You could add unique roles, add new Stages for mods (this initial offering is intended to be useful for mods but still accessible for vanilla players), etc.

Okay, for ease of sanity, I will be using the term Quest for Stages, Side-Quests for the categories (Stockpiles, Agriculture, Military, Technology, Magic, etc), and Sub-Quests for various tasks within a category.

Or maybe not. I'm jsut starting to play around with HQM.

I need to figure out if I can make each Stage a set, or if I should have a Stage set, a set per category, etc. And then, if I can, have quests in each set (Agriculture ofr this example) require a Stage be completed, AND previous Agriculture quests of lower stage levels be completed before its accessible.

ex:

• You are at Iron Stage, but have not done a single Agriculture quest, and want to get caught up with the Agriculture quests.
    • You only have the Dirt Agriculture Quests available, but can go from Dirt Agriculture to Iron Agriculture quests all in a row--but not further than Iron.
EDIT: I'm 99% sure this is absolutely possible, except you would have to require that a certain Reputation is needed before the quest unlocks /EDIT

If this works, it would be interesting to have a couple quests that could only be unlocked by completing both the stage and various side or sub quests. Like maybe soft unlock (honor system and Rule of Cool) rails and rail carts by going up the technology and mining quests.

Being me, I'm not going to lock everything behind a quest. I may eventually do a side version of the quest that has it, but it would have to be toggled on, not the default.

.......this has a lot of potential.

I'm also going to be looking into using Reputation for being able to tell, at a glance, where you are.

For example, see if I can name the Reputation tiers by Stage. So you'd be able to see at a glance what Stage you're on, and how far your various categories are coming

Still poking at HQM, not sure what I'll be able to tease out eventually.

Not sure how side and sub quests would work if I were going on a strict basis, but the current plan is:

• Each Set/category stands on its own.
    • Stage Set
    • Agriculture Set
    • Magic Set
    • Technology Set
    • etc
  • To advance from one Stage to the next you'll have a specific set of requirements.
    • In non-Stage Sets, you will have a required list of items that will probably be drawn from the Stage requirements.
    • ie: Agriculture from Stone->Iron will require an Iron Hoe
    • There are a lot of categories this doesn't exactly work for, and I'm still trying to figure out how this will work.
      • I'm considering, in for example the Lapis Storage/Stockpile category, requiring a Lapis Block and a Chest be turned in (and will be given right back in the reward bag). Lapis for the Stage and Chest for the Category.
      • Technology probably a switch
      • Not sure about Magic.
EDIT: Okay, yeah, it will take a bit of tinkering, but I can absolutely do that. I can also require minimal involvement in every category by toying with Reputation and requirements. That could also mean multiple paths through a single Category/Set!

You could have a playthrough that does nothing but Farm, but would require a metric assload or two of Farms. Or, conceivably, the points could scale up better if you varied up the food making a bit. IE more space-efficient to have a few Ranches, a couple Fisheries, and an Orchard or two along with some Farms than JUST Farms, to add some variety--but not entirely walling you INTO those things if you just want to Farm everything.

.....I MAY even be able to figure out some way to add built-in food requirements for a certain population.

Maybe after enough tinkering I could figure out a way for the commoners to nibble on a little bit of bread or potatoes, while Nobles need a LOT more.

In other news, I get exactly one Leporin Bee back in April. So......full set, woo.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
So I am a very bored bird some days. The ravine remains a giant hazard for anything without slowfall (or a trigger-happy shift key finger). So the mining guild got established, as did the start of the merchant.
2017-05-20_09.54.46.png 2017-05-20_10.01.46.png
I'm very proud of myself with Terrim's shrine; you can trick the piece of sand to defy gravity if you add the carpet first.
2017-05-20_10.03.36.png 2017-05-20_10.03.51.png 2017-05-20_10.26.29.png
The miner's guild lives IN the wall of the ravine. A sand chicken.

The miner's guild elder is a minimalist. Not much space, he lives in the crevice of a ravine, digging and hoarding all the granite he can scrape his claws on. A very scary catwalk extends across to the shrine of Terrim, headed by a 'smart' acolyte. Due to being caught in a cavein as a chick, the acolyte INSISTS on having supports every two blocks inside the shrine.

2017-05-21_14.57.41.png 2017-05-21_15.06.29.png
The merchant's guild is run by the librarian testificate. I need to do decor inside of the shack and figure out villager proof fencing. Chisels and Bits opens with the stone hamlet, and there's no carpenters blocks or garden stuff.
He LOVES paper. Quite obsessed with obtaining it. I caught him remodeling his shack with paperwall blocks. The supports of the shack are paperbark trees. And he is growing every item that makes paper short of wood pulp.
He'll offer emeralds for 35 pieces of paper.

I'll do more spoiler images as I get them.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
As for that mod you were talking about, maul, back during winter I was trying to get something like what you're wanting up and running. My fiance, however, has a full schedule and can't help and I'm still busy trying to stay employed, so.

And it appears your images are broken, zephyr.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So after toying around with HQM, I think this is where the Challenge was both heading and should have been all along. However, if it had started here, I don't think I would have liked the finished result as much, nor do I think I would have had some of what are my now favorite features. Most specifically the Rule of Cool. I probably would have forced everyone to endure by exactly my rules with no adjustments for personal taste or preference.

And it would have suffered for it.

But with HQM, there's something I never would have been able to do via pure-WIki: I can give rewards.

And that changes the game. entirely.

I was thinking about this on the hour-long trip home today, and I came up with a few ideas to make this challenge better, in the HQM route:

Cartographers give out MAPS. They give you more maps if you expand the Cartographer's Guild (a minor guild, nowhere near as powerful as the major Guilds, but still useful), and give them more offices and people with which to fill those offices.

But, more significantly, it turns the MErchant's Guild from Stockpile Central and roleplay with building retail/wholesale spaces into something else entirely. Specifically, it turns the LEADER of the Merchant Guild from a rando to a rat bastard.

Admittedly YOUR rat bastard who believes in the project, but a rat bastard that comes out ahead in everything he does.

Basically, my vision for HQM Merchant Guild Leader is a guy that keeps tabs on everything that's going on, and can get you stuff you wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Say, buckets, a Furnace in Wood, various metals in Stone, Redstone, Diamonds, Glowstone--all a stage or two before you would otherwise get them.

Plus, if your military proves itself capable, he'll provide you with hostile mob spawn eggs on the downlow.

And, maybe, in Emerald/Diamond Stages, he might even be able to sneak in a hostile mob spawner or two for automation.

Or if your Agricultural Guild is doing well, he may be able to find Horse, Wolf, Ocelot, or maybe even Testificate spawn eggs (if and only if you build enough Agriculture and/or Houses.

Tech doing well? Powered Rails, Droppers, Hoppers, etc.

Magic? brewing supplies, etc. But he can't get you enchantment books. No way is he crossing the Librarians on that one--that's THEIR turf.

Also if you have a big enough Library and enough Mining facilities, the Library might be able to provide you with rare enchantment books. Like, I don't know, Fortune or Silk Touch (this is intended for the picks and/or shovels or whatever that will eventually break, not perma-enchants on stuff that will last forever). If your Mining facilities are big enough, and so is the Market districts, the Merchant Guild Leader might even be able to dig you up a Pick and/or shovel that is better than anything you can make.

If you have Fishermen, the Library might be able to dig up a fishing enchantment per stage.

I've got a buch of other ideas along these lines, now that I can give you

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
......Scoreboard interaction? Interesting.

I will look at Better Questing, but for now I'm going to work in HQM, specifically because BQM can import HQM files. The random loot container reward thing is interesting too.

Also speaking of ideas that I came up with, I came up with (a very rough version of) (what I think is) a better way to do the whole races thing. Sure, you could do it some other way and it could be fun, but it gets to be a big thing to keep track of.

The new plan I have now is for the Races to be tied into the Housing that you build...possibly with a minor score/reputation tie-in to boost a particular Guild. Each Race would have a unique Build style (Testificates need to have mob-proof walls surrounding their districts, Dwarves underground, etc), and specific (minor) variations on the standard types of housing. I would probably try to arrange it so that it's somehow beneficial to both have the races build their houses with their own races, but also near the Guild that they have an affinity for (Gnomes for Tech, Witches for Magic, etc).

At the same time, there would be a bonus for building ALL the race sub-quests in a specific Stage, as opposed to just enough to fulfill the Stage's base requirement.

I also plan on implementing rewards for a fairly in-depth Agriclture quest chain to give you every single seed (Carrot, Potato, Beets, Melons, Pumpkins) that can be started at any stage. Because seed RNG hunts can be either 2 minutes or 16 hours.

I may also do a Plantation quest branching off from this, and give out both mushrooms, a couple pieces of sand, some cacti, and sugarcane.

.....also I plan on giving out a vanilla Minecraft Armor Stand at the completion of Every Stage, intended for use in a Museum (which is a subset of the Library, which itself is a subset of the Merchant's Guild--the Cartographer's Guild is a subset of the Tech Guild)

EDIT:
I love the rewards. It enables me to give challengers charcoal for torches without having to throw in a furnace

Right now, I'm giving you the option of either going for the Dirt Hovel or the Clay Community in the first stage. Choosing one negates any option for the other.

They both start off with a Supply gathering mission, and which one you choose dictates which path you go down.

Dirt: Craft a Crafting Table, Bed, and Door. Gather 32 Dirt and any 8 Wood. Reward: 3 Bread and 2 Charcoal

Clay: Craft 8 Crafting Tables, 8 Beds, 16 Doors, 20 Chests. Gather 5 Stacks Clay, 2 stacks Logs. Reward: 8 Bread, 8 Charcoal

2) Build your Dwelling.

Dirt Rewards: 3 Bread, Wooden Hoe, 3 Wheat Seeds, 2 Charcoal

Clay Rewards: 8 Bread, Wooden Hoe, 8 Wheat Seeds, 8 Charcoal

From here, the two paths diverge. Dirt gets a Farming Quest and a light Stockpile mission. Also an optional Terrim shrine.

Clay gets 8 Building Quests open up: Homes for the Guild Leaders (Agriculture, Merchant, Crafting, Magic, Technology, and Mining) and a Military (Sheriff)--with a follow-up mission for each, as well as an optional Terrim Shrine. Building the homes of the Guild Leaders will also ope up the Guild, Military, and Shrine/Festival Quest Lines. Additionally, upon completion of each Guild/Military House, the player will be rewarded with an Item Frame to hang above their door, to signify their exalted position within a Guild.

At this point the plan is to send them to the Wood Settlement Stage, and both Quest Lines converge back into one. The Homes that got built become storage (even Clay Community needs to build them a Wooden House), and even the Dirt Hovel folks build their homes now, and gain access to the full Guild Quest Tree (at least as far as Wood Settlement). Some might wonder, if the Guildies have to get a new house in Wood anyway, why bother doing Clay Community:

Because it opens up the Guild Questlines in Dirt Hovel (a few of them, anyway), which will at the very least give you a small selection of inedible plants, ALL [vanilla] edible seeds, and at least a pair of chicken spawn eggs, along with various goodies from the other Guilds

Upon completion of the first mission of the Wood Settlement (opening up the Wood Settlement Chains), a Furnace is given to the player for Torch purposes (probably. may end up being just a lot of charcoal, saving the Furnace for Stone). One of the first missions that is available is a Museum Quest, which gives the player an Armor Stand and a few empty Item Frames.

Gotta say, I am LOVING the Rewards thing.

Last edited:

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
In this case, if you've the time and the patience, design Dirt Hovel for both Better Questing and HQM, and we can test it out for you?

HQM is a good mod, BUT horrid for servers. Haven't seen it in action for 1.10.2 or further, but 1.7.10 had some corruption issues with it.