[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
I got lucky early in my village looting by finding a diamond in one of the bazaar chests of recurrent complex. With twilight forest installed, what better place to go "mine"? The kobold that inhabits my camp as a miner npc has a portal outside his hut. The portal spawned unluckily inside a naga courtyard. Holy moly the TF team's been busy giving it a makeover. I've been playing on peaceful but to avoid future accidents, I spawned in some gear to slay the naga, and offered its drops to Terrim, whose shrine is here in the Forest. I put the mushroom farm and the acolyte's room inside the leaves of the maze wall. The room of rest will need to wait unless sleeping in a line isn't a bad thing.
0jD8ruq.png
The refuge has attracted more then just me and a kobold. The farmer is a faun, the trader a naga, the pink terror ahem, I mean trader is a snow leopard, and the militia is a desert soldier from ancient warfare.
The snow leopard has demanded all things pink. All the pink dye producing plants have been gathered to please her, planted outside her hut.
Each villager is designated their own color of glow rose. My own is topaz. The farmer is amethyst, the miner is beryl, the trader is morganite, the crafter is iolite and the militia is ruby. The town administrator (whom is moving in shortly) will be opal.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I've found that trap you're talking about @5argan. I've been fiddling with an old past-time of mine, copying modern houses in Minecraft, and there is no way to make the things small and the block count not be ridiculous. In a larger build, having the extra layers is fine, and honestly quite negligible. Smaller ones? Ick. Pic of the one I free-handed below, I'll fix up the album later. It's a scrambled egg right now.

jGwNlPt.png

Spoiler alert: That's a 9x10-block footprint for maybe 12 blocks of usable space inside per floor. Wait. 16.

Last edited:

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
So now that I have mods I'm thinking about making some factory-like buildings, but I have no idea how to make that work with my current building style.

The best I can come up with is to use a ton of brick walls but that doesn't sound too promising. Do any of you have any ideas how a medieval/fantasy/low tech steam punk/early industrial age factory could look like? Maybe some ideas for a general shape or block palette I could use? Maybe just some of your work to reference?

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Stone brick (with mossy and cracked variants thrown in randomly) and spruce logs go well together. Give me a few minutes and I'll try figuring something out. Getting tired of modern houses anyway.

[EDIT]

It's very plain and basic but still has that nice industrial look to it. Hopefully this is what you're looking for!

Last edited:

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
Stone brick (with mossy and cracked variants thrown in randomly) and spruce logs go well together. Give me a few minutes and I'll try figuring something out. Getting tired of modern houses anyway.
Feel free to use 1.12 blocks if you want to. I have most of them modded in except prismarine and sea lanterns.

5argan

Jul 29, 2019

It's very plain and basic but still has that nice industrial look to it. Hopefully this is what you're looking for!

Hmm. That kind of works. It feels industrial enough (I think it's the flat roof), but it's lacking something I cannot pinpoint right now. I need to come up with some detailing and a way to vary the floor plan somehow.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I do agree. And I don't avoid new blocks on purpose, I just build with what I'm familiar with and know how to obtain in survival. I had no idea you had to put concrete powder in water to make concrete, so I considered it creative-only since nothing appeared for it on JEI. Maybe some smokestacks would help sell that it is a factory, as well as warehouses and bays. I made it tiny cus I really didn't want to spend hours on a general concept. You can always add/take away as you please, so I prefer just presenting the general idea and letting you guys run wild. It's also just missing general context, so it sort of looks out-of-place.

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
New update for my world. Not sure what I want to do next yet. Also I might start the magic outlier after this stage, but I have no idea which location I want to go to.
What would be a nice biome for the magic community?

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I always thought the roofed forests would be nice for it -- dark and thick cover with large mushrooms everywhere.

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
I've started working on my blacksmith by beautifying my smeltery. The design is something I stole off the internet from I don't know where. I'll still need to build a blacksmith's building though.

kfKhPrm.png

The forest is deep enough I think but it'd probably still be too similar to my current village. I might do it anyway though.

Between Ars Magica, Blood Magic and Botania, which mod would you dedicate a magical outlier towards if you were me?
I was leaning towards AM, but botania has some stuff I'd like to have (mainly andesite creation atm, although I haven't checked how far into progression that is). And just before posting I remembered about BM, so maybe that too?

Then again I don'T have any diamonds and wouldn't be allowed ot use them, so probably not BM.
kfKhPrm

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
I'd honestly dedicate it to all forms of magic. Why discriminate?
I'm not entirely sure. It feels right to have one big AM2 altar/blood altar/whatever as the village center or so. I'm not 100% sure how big the outlier is going to be, since I just skimmed the description, so if it's big enough I might have to do multiple mods in there anyway.

Also, how is your progress with the technology side quest? Not that it's super important right now but I've got a bunch of ideas I could do with one.

Also on a side note, I've decided not to add the stage 3 underground tunnels. They don't make sense for the type of village I currently have and they serve no aesthetic purpose either. I think instead adding it as a side quest of building a sewer system might be better.

I might build a silo or something instead, or the quarry I've been going on and on about.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I have the underground tunnels because it was part of the original four stages that started this thing and I didn't want to remove it.

And I have made absolutely no progress on it yet. Things usually "incubate" for a while before I'm able to pen it down.

Also, the hidden community is 5 stages long, so roughly 1/4 the size of core.

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the hidden community is 5 stages long, so roughly 1/4 the size of core.

The stages also have lower building requirements, so I'd say the size is about stage 3 or stage 4 of the main village. That doesn't seem enough for multiple mod altars to me but I might change my mind if it turns out too much work.

In that chapter you talk about a transportation hub. What did you have in mind / what should it connect to (since it's supposed to be a hidden community)? I know it's up to my interpretation but I'd like to know what your vision was.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
The stages also have lower building requirements, so I'd say the size is about stage 3 or stage 4 of the main village. That doesn't seem enough for multiple mod altars to me but I might change my mind if it turns out too much work.

In that chapter you talk about a transportation hub. What did you have in mind / what should it connect to (since it's supposed to be a hidden community)? I know it's up to my interpretation but I'd like to know what your vision was.
Whatever you think fits. Horses? Trains? Underground? Boats?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever you think fits. Horses? Trains? Underground? Boats?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

That's a bit of a difficult one. Why would a hidden community want a train connection for example? Would not be very hidden if you can just follow the tracks. That's part of what sparked that question initially, why would they want a transportation hub if they are hiding (unless it has something to do with their magic, so it would only be accessible to them, but I don't know any such methods in the magic mods off the top of my head).

Actually, why are they hidden anyway?