Challenge map - Win a Nvidia GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahg

Jul 29, 2019
Again, if you're talking about actually at PAX, the prizes are generally things like headsets, keyboards, mice. (In no particular order, but at past PAXes, first and second place respectively get to pick what they want, and third gets the one remaining) Nice prizes, but certainly not as high stakes as the 980. Also, we try to have enough T-Shirts on hand to give out to all the competitors, and if we're lucky, we have enough leftover to give out to the standby queue (there's *always* more people we can reasonably accomodate) and/or anyone else who wants one.

As for changing how competitions work, even more so then *what* we come up with, the idea of first by completion count then by time is a "tried and true" way of tracking. For anyone who doesn't know, nekosune handles all the client coding for PaxTimer along with all the other projects she works on, and I handle the server side (not public for various reasons) Despite all the bugs that crop up on one side or the other (or in Project Red which neither of us have control over), the system has done a pretty good job of tracking live progress from our players. A partial challenge system would not only be highly subjective, but pretty much impossible to track in any sort of mass automated way. Also really not sure why you're trying to think of every way possible to make this NOT a timed challenge. It really does work. Granted, perhaps parkour isn't the best for not at PAX? Who knows. What I do know is that's the only map we had available, well, really have available, at the moment so it was either that or not do a contest at all between South and East.

I feel like is mostly stuff I've said before, but apparently it needs repeating a fair bit. We're not going to change the technical way PAX maps work. We probably won't be changing the style of the map either, but that will really rely on who specifically we're targetting. We'll probably change the map itself between competitions, depending on how much time we have, and at the very least from year to year. As for anything else? Well, that's pretty much unknown to anyone at this point, but I'm sure we'll figure out something over the summer.

Niko_Bellic_3

Jul 29, 2019
I meant the prizes for the challenge over the internet, and thanks for the info. I liked how you guys kind of made people speed runners so quickly, it's just the timing came to a real low time with secrets we didn't know know about. Other than the crunch of records, I didn't think the map was that bad. I hope that we get a few changes to the physical map, but I understand that you guys are in a bit of a time crunch. I recommend a corsair k70 keyboard or an Intel i7 4790k as prizes for the internet.

Last edited:

Niko_Bellic_3

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe can try limited time challenge and has a certain amount of challenges to be done? Then the person who did most challenges (including parts) will be counted as winner so there won't be a tie breaker scenario?

*P.S: Just uploaded the post commentary in my channel. so..yeah.*

I like that idea, that might be a possibility for pax prime. We don't know if us not attending pax will get a competition.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It would be interesting if you could put together a map that isn't based around time results, I have no idea how you would determine the winner besides a point system, but it would be interesting.

That's where a clever implementation of HQM would come in...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I like that idea too, also nice debate about the letters op. Operator, over powered, original posters lol...

Don't forget Optimus Prime or Octagon Participant (actually a fair description of commenters in most forums) :D

Tahg

Jul 29, 2019
From some of the videos it appeared that you guys didn't need to hit the left target. Looked at the map and I didn't see any difference between that one and the others. Can anyone confirm or deny?

zax0ng

Jul 29, 2019
From some of the videos it appeared that you guys didn't need to hit the left target. Looked at the map and I didn't see any difference between that one and the others. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Yes. I kinda talked about it in my post commentary. It seems like u don't need to hit the left AND the middle. The right is the only one needed to be hit and it will activate the cannon to launch the yellow wool. @@

Tahg

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, found the issue and fixed it. A NOR gate in the back was bleeding through to a block it shouldn't have been.

Reactions: zax0ng

jdb100

Jul 29, 2019
zax are routing was so close I just went bee hive to bridge then obelisk. lost by 38 seconds good job though.

Status
Not open for further replies.