Challenge map - Win a Nvidia GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko_Bellic_3

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly think that parkour is unfair to those who aren't as easily able to coordinate themselves. Mental challenges are fair because every one has a same general knowledge. People would also enjoy more of a challenge instead of tireless jumping. I would be willing to make a map for pax east if you guys wouldn't have time.

LOL We leave for Pax in like 4 days time. In which time the map would have to be built, tested and then normally rebuilt to fix what comes up in testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Parkour again? I love parkour, not speedrunning. Mental challenges give a fair playing field
That would be an interesting debate. I wouldn't say the playing field would be any more or less fair. Just a different playing field asking for a different skillset. Having said that, these competitions I think are here to stay. I think however I have something that's a bit more appropriate to FTB for them. The parkour maps are excellent for Pax however because people of all ages can take part in them.

Niko_Bellic_3

Jul 29, 2019
But younger kids aren't as focused and coordinated as high schoolers or adults. That then creates a gap between parkour skill and their chances of winning are way worse.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
That would be an interesting debate. I wouldn't say the playing field would be any more or less fair. Just a different playing field asking for a different skillset. Having said that, these competitions I think are here to stay. I think however I have something that's a bit more appropriate to FTB for them. The parkour maps are excellent for Pax however because people of all ages can take part in them.
It would be interesting if you could put together a map that isn't based around time results, I have no idea how you would determine the winner besides a point system, but it would be interesting.

Niko_Bellic_3

Jul 29, 2019
Challenge accepted: is there a specific pack I should use? My dad is in Mexico so I have plenty of time to dev the map.

Travisdid123

Jul 29, 2019
By the way I am interested in your feedback on the actual map now that its been around for a bit, so any comments good or bad are appreciated.
Also you should develope a way to time the person's time on a challenge not the time it takes to get in between challenges.

Tahg

Jul 29, 2019
The time system has worked well for us ever since we started at PAX, and I doubt it's going anyway. One of the problems that comes up is how do you break ties. With only 17 states (0-16 wool) there's obviously going to be players with the same number. Obviously the most straightforward way to decide a clear order of winners is to go first by points (which we do) and secondly by time. In the interest of fairness though, we do use something which I'll call a "staggered start" time. Common in races where you might have 1000's of people, your official time is just your personal time to finish. In a marathon, you try for the first person to break the tape to be the winner, however that's less important for us. Secondly, points and times are basically the two things we can easily track on a central server, so that helps out when trying to manage a competition like this.

As I've said before, the maps we produce for PAX are not the same we would produce specifically for an internet target audience. However, there's no reason in wasting a good map, when only 100 people are able to play it at PAX, so we release it on our launcher where anyone who wants to can try it out. Unfortunately, timing this year prevents us from doing too much between competitions at PAX. We did look into some other options, but it's basically come down to not enoguh time to design a new map from scratch for East. Instead, we will be polishing up the map we have, making some world and technical adjustments to hopefully avoid as many of the issues we had at South. However, that's not to say what works at PAX works everywhere. Not at all. We have ideas for more typical FTB maps, some of which we've started already, and that we'll contiune to work on once we've finished and recovered from PAX East.

I'm sure we can take any serious suggestion into consideration for a "proper" old-school FTB style map for the general internet community, however please stop saying what we have PAX is bad. (Seriously, please stop. We have first hand experience at PAX, and know what the players there can associate with. Most of them would go "HUH?" on a map that requires a significant amount of modded knowledge, where as a parkour map using mostly vanilla elements is immediately accessible to a wider range of people. They may not be *good* at it, but that's beside the point. They can at least try it, and most importantly have fun.) As for now, there's only a few precious days before East, and there's still much work to be done on the map to fix it up, so we probably won't be doing much else until after PAX. After then, we'll see.

Reactions: Watchful11 and zBob

Travisdid123

Jul 29, 2019
The time system has worked well for us ever since we started at PAX, and I doubt it's going anyway. One of the problems that comes up is how do you break ties. With only 17 states (0-16 wool) there's obviously going to be players with the same number. Obviously the most straightforward way to decide a clear order of winners is to go first by points (which we do) and secondly by time. In the interest of fairness though, we do use something which I'll call a "staggered start" time. Common in races where you might have 1000's of people, your official time is just your personal time to finish. In a marathon, you try for the first person to break the tape to be the winner, however that's less important for us. Secondly, points and times are basically the two things we can easily track on a central server, so that helps out when trying to manage a competition like this.

As I've said before, the maps we produce for PAX are not the same we would produce specifically for an internet target audience. However, there's no reason in wasting a good map, when only 100 people are able to play it at PAX, so we release it on our launcher where anyone who wants to can try it out. Unfortunately, timing this year prevents us from doing too much between competitions at PAX. We did look into some other options, but it's basically come down to not enoguh time to design a new map from scratch for East. Instead, we will be polishing up the map we have, making some world and technical adjustments to hopefully avoid as many of the issues we had at South. However, that's not to say what works at PAX works everywhere. Not at all. We have ideas for more typical FTB maps, some of which we've started already, and that we'll contiune to work on once we've finished and recovered from PAX East.

I'm sure we can take any serious suggestion into consideration for a "proper" old-school FTB style map for the general internet community, however please stop saying what we have PAX is bad. (Seriously, please stop. We have first hand experience at PAX, and know what the players there can associate with. Most of them would go "HUH?" on a map that requires a significant amount of modded knowledge, where as a parkour map using mostly vanilla elements is immediately accessible to a wider range of people. They may not be *good* at it, but that's beside the point. They can at least try it, and most importantly have fun.) As for now, there's only a few precious days before East, and there's still much work to be done on the map to fix it up, so we probably won't be doing much else until after PAX. After then, we'll see.

Will there be a competition for east or any other PAXs this year?

Tahg

Jul 29, 2019
UHG, about 10 new posts while I was writing that last post up. Just to be clear, we are using the South map for East. That's been set in stone for at least a couple of weeks, and nothing made or presented to us will change that at this point. Also, while we are certainly open to suggestions for what you might like in future maps, we do tend to build them ourselves from scratch, so a completely prebuilt map is unlikely to be used officially by us. (That said, if you are a professional decent? map builder and feel like you could build a shell map (ie, a basic vanilla/decorative block map) please talk to Slowpoke before you start. This way we can come to some agreement of what will work for us when adding the technical parts and your not wasting either our time or your own.)

If you're asking about for PAX East itself, yes, as has been mentioned quite a bit now. As for other internet based competitions or Prime, that's all up in the air still. We certainly won't be thinking about that until at least this time next week, and likely a good bit later than that.

zax0ng

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe can try limited time challenge and has a certain amount of challenges to be done? Then the person who did most challenges (including parts) will be counted as winner so there won't be a tie breaker scenario?

*P.S: Just uploaded the post commentary in my channel. so..yeah.*

Niko_Bellic_3

Jul 29, 2019
Tahg, I appreciate you so much, but could I ask one little question? Is it decided what the prize will be? If so can we know now as I little pre pax gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.