Cant play LAN on Material energy 4

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xXsillynongXx

Jul 29, 2019
Someone please help me and my friend because we are both running the same version of material energy 4 and when i try to "open to LAN" it opens the LAN server with port xxxxx but it doesnt come up for the other person when they are trying to join. please help

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You two need to be on the same network for LAN to work. Otherwise you need a server.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The LAN feature from minecraft is in my experience more broken then not.Or at least the finding of them.

What you want to do is open the world to LAN like you normally do and it should give a port and maybe an ip address in the chat. If it does not give an ip address then you need to open cmd and use ipconfig to get it.(assuming you have windows)

if you have found both let your friend use direct connect and let him type the ip and the port separated by a :

for example if the ip is 192.168.1.1 and the port is 25525 then he needs to type 192.168.1.1:25525

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
we are on the same network. im at my friends house.
You both need to be playing the same mod pack, and on the same network (wireless connection) or if you are trying to play with network cables, I find it easier just to plug the 2 computers into each other.
Then one of you needs to load a game, go into the pause menu and press "Open to LAN", then when the other person opens the multiplayer screen, wait a few seconds (up to a minute), the other player's "server" should automagically appear *if you are using the latter method.
Read lenscas' suggestion for the wireless/non-connected suggestion

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
then when the other person opens the multiplayer screen, wait a few seconds (up to a minute), the other player's "server" should automagically appear

Key word there is "should" as in my experience there are a lot of things that can mess that up. For example for me it will always use the wrong "network" when it searches or creates one. (it uses one of the vmware or hamachie networks for example).
My method should work if it does not check firewall settings.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Key word there is "should" as in my experience there are a lot of things that can mess that up. For example for me it will always use the wrong "network" when it searches or creates one. (it uses one of the vmware or hamachie networks for example).
My method should work if it does not check firewall settings.
Or to not have them installed... I find after a month of having hamachi installed it really screws up my internet (I use wireless, and it just won't connect if Hamachi network is enabled)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Or to not have them installed... I find after a month of having hamachi installed it really screws up my internet (I use wireless, and it just won't connect if Hamachi network is enabled)
I guess I could remove hamachie but I need vmware for stuff so I still would not be able to use your solution and most if not all of my friends have hamachie installed anyway.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I could remove hamachie but I need vmware for stuff so I still would not be able to use your solution and most if not all of my friends have hamachie installed anyway.
Scrubs :p

I always use dedicated servers :p
I don't make much money, heck, even when I didn't have a job, or any source of income, I would spend whatever I had on a small server if I needed one... LAN/VLAN servers are seldom good; especially if the host doesn't have access to the internet 24/7.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I do have a server and I have 1 computer that I could use for a server if needed. Why they have hamachie is beyond my understanding

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Some questions and some things to try:

How are your computers connected (wired/wirelessly) (through a router/through a hub/direct connected via a cable):

If you open a (Command/CMD prompt/DOS prompt) and type ipconfig on both computers are they in the same class C subnet (have the same numbers in the first 3 before the dots like 192.168.1.n):

In the example above make sure .n are different.

If you have the same class C subnet can you ping each other?

Before you go any further lets see what the answers above are.

Smallprint: If you have MACs or on Linux forget all the above