Problem Can we do something about the Spam?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017
I just opened the "new posts" section and this it was it looks like right now:

97nIOl6.png

9 pages like that, from about 16 hours ago. It makes the "new post" section completely unusable. Is there anything that can be done with the forum software to stop it instead of waiting for the mods to delete the threats manually.

It will not stop, only get worse.

Thank you.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I don't know about stopping the spam, but my routine with this is to a) report at least one post from each spamming user as Spam, then b) click on the user, and click "Ignore" on their information. When I next refresh, all posts by them are gone from my visibility, and I've reported the user(s) so the Admins know where the problem is coming from.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
You know, after seeing that most of these spam posts, even though by different users, are basically the same makes me wonder if it's possible to ban an IP? Sure it's possible, but is it within the bounds of the software of the forum?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Fighting spam is a constant battle, whatever countermeasures we use they very quickly get around them, that is their job after all. Today is a particularly bad day, with over 270 messages in the moderation queue (those are the ones you don't see)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Fighting spam is a constant battle, whatever countermeasures we use they very quickly get around them, that is their job after all. Today is a particularly bad day, with over 270 messages in the moderation queue (those are the ones you don't see)
I'm pretty sure I can speak for more than just myself when I say that we all appreciate the hard work the forum team put into trying to stamp this stuff out and keep it to a minimum - I know you guys have got a tough task at the best of times!

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
They're at it again it seems. What type of programmatic control is available for the forum? Would it be possible to detect several (e.g. two or more) posts made by the same new user within x minutes, and then put all those messages in a moderator only quarantine automatically?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to detect several (e.g. two or more) posts made by the same new user within x minutes, and then put all those messages in a moderator only quarantine automatically?
Considering it's XenForum, I doubt so

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
They are 'at it' constantly, just the vast majority of it never hits the public boards. I've identified a plugin that could help with this new wave of bots but the process of getting it approved and added will take some time.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Just a thought I pulled out of... somewhere while reading the thread :D, but would it be possible to put posts tagged as "problems" into a buffer where they could be parsed to be "New" issues and allowed into the forum(s), "Known" issues and appropriately replied to, or Spam and dealt with accordingly?

I mean, the current spambots seem to be taking the guesswork out of things by pre-defining themselves as Problems and all :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just a thought I pulled out of... somewhere while reading the thread :D, but would it be possible to put posts tagged as "problems" into a buffer where they could be parsed to be "New" issues and allowed into the forum(s), "Known" issues and appropriately replied to, or Spam and dealt with accordingly?

I mean, the current spambots seem to be taking the guesswork out of things by pre-defining themselves as Problems and all :D
That would mean every bug ticket would need a manual moderator step (with all the delays that entails). And we get an awful lot of bug tickets.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Not all of them do.

Only sometimes do the health(?)-related spam tag themselves with Problem, a lot of the time they don't tag anything at all.

And the spam with the Chinese characters never do. Also we can't filter out non-English characters, we've tried (I'm pretty sure)

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
A lot of the chinese spam posts are being caught now because I added half a dozen or so characters into the spam filter, it doesn't seem to pick them all up though. Filtering on tags is a non starter. I appreciate that you would all like to help keep the forum spam free, but we're literally already using everything we have at our disposal right now. I'm still waiting on my addon request to be fulfilled, that will help matters a lot.