Can someone help me learn FTB?

FTBLearner

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys, I am a n00b at FTB but not minecraft, so can anyone create a server and let me to go in so you can teach me how to do all the FTB stuff? I really want to learn about this modpack, so please help me. Thank you

tompy97

Jul 29, 2019
your best bet would be to play a bit of singleplayer until you're more comfortable then find a server to play on. Look in the serve promotion subforum for one to join, its not very likely that someone will create a server for you

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
I learned by digging through the NEI in-game and trudging through wiki page after wiki page. 'R' and 'U' are your best friends when trying to figure out recipes. Someone told me to just pick a mod and stick with it. I went with Buildcraft, and stuck with it first, because it also ties into forestry (and I already knew my way around Thaumcraft). Looked up what I needed to know for just that mod.

So my suggestions are:
1. Pick one mod and really work on getting familiar with that. It can be your fall-back plan once you try to branch out. I chose Buildcraft because the Pulverizer (Which is better than a Macerator for almost everything) and Induction Smelter can be your best friends, and they aren't too hard to make.
2. Don't ever take your resources for granted or build ANY machines that you haven't researched extensively (I built an implosion compressor (not cheap) a while back without researching it, and when it didn't work, I read the wiki and discovered that it had to be placed on top of a huge structure of blocks that are also expensive to make).
3. Until you can build some fancy stuff, I suggest making yourself a Quartz Grindstone to double the ingot yield of each piece of ore. It's tedious. It's manual. It's worth it.

Reactions: x_Stricken_x

x_Stricken_x

Jul 29, 2019
I learned by digging through the NEI in-game and trudging through wiki page after wiki page. 'R' and 'U' are your best friends when trying to figure out recipes. Someone told me to just pick a mod and stick with it. I went with Buildcraft, and stuck with it first, because it also ties into forestry (and I already knew my way around Thaumcraft). Looked up what I needed to know for just that mod.

So my suggestions are:
1. Pick one mod and really work on getting familiar with that. It can be your fall-back plan once you try to branch out. I chose Buildcraft because the Pulverizer (Which is better than a Macerator for almost everything) and Induction Smelter can be your best friends, and they aren't too hard to make.
2. Don't ever take your resources for granted or build ANY machines that you haven't researched extensively (I built an implosion compressor (not cheap) a while back without researching it, and when it didn't work, I read the wiki and discovered that it had to be placed on top of a huge structure of blocks that are also expensive to make).
3. Until you can build some fancy stuff, I suggest making yourself a Quartz Grindstone to double the ingot yield of each piece of ore. It's tedious. It's manual. It's worth it.
Thanks for this, I'll keep it in mind and share it with any of my friends getting into FTB as well

Reactions: Gun_Shy

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 can help you as he helped so many others.
He is a youtuber who has his own modpack in FTB. His vids (season 5 single player) start by spawning in a new world. You then follow him step by step as he introduces the mods and items as he goes along.
You can even play the exact same mod pack as he plays if you want, which is actually a very good pack to learn the mods on imo.

The season is still ongoing but here is the start.

x_Stricken_x

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 can help you as he helped so many others.
I follow him as well as Etho (ethoslab), Stephen (Wolv21) and Luclin (Minecraftwb)

I've gotten really interested in Wolv and Luclin's LP because they are both learning the FTB pack as well. If anyone wants to look up their series, it's called "FTB - Feed Teh Noobs"

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I do recommend DW20, at the start of this let's plays he focuses on teaching you to get started, then the pace speeds up a bit more.

I've recently watched his mod spotlights on MFR, now, I didn't know a thing about that mod, but after watching them, I can't wait to get my hands on it in a FTB 1.6 pack. There's so much there I can imagine doing now I know the basics of what the blocks do and how they interact. NEI will teach you the crafting.

Also, if you are just starting out, avoid GregTech. That makes things a lot more complex, best to stick with mod packs with GregTech. If you then find things are a bit too "easy", try a pack with GregTech.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion is a really good opening mod that maintains its use through to the endgame I find. Also, when I first started playing modded minecraft, I found that the the buildcraft quarry was a nice target to work towards (although it might be different on Ultimate if its recipes are changed).

Hey My name is Zanda Im a 13 Year Old Thats Been Hosting Minecraft Servers For 2 Years Now i wanted to know if you wanted to play on a server I'm making, i will be
Setting up a small FeedTheBeast Ultimate Pack Server Soon(white Listed) with just me for now but i wanted to ask You To Join
{redacted personal information}

Maybe its just cos I have been watching too much Criminal minds recently but does anyone else think that stating that you are 13 years old and sending an invitation to a stranger to join them on a server is a bit suspicious? If you really are 13 years old Zax141 then you probably shouldn't be inviting people who you don't know onto a server.

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for this, I'll keep it in mind and share it with any of my friends getting into FTB as well

Cool. I'm glad it was of some use to you. Though, I do have to say, it was technically Thermal Expansion that was of the most use to me, even though it's an add-on to Buildcraft, so I was a bit off the mark on that. And the quartz grindstone is from the Applied Energistics mod, just in case you were wondering.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
As a friendly warning from the Global Mods , personal contact details should never be posted on the forums.

Reactions: Molten