Can somebody explain how bee breeding mechanic work?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
I been searching around wikies to find how gene are passed to offspring to create a mutation. So far i got up to a noble,diligient, and ancient bees and aiming toward alveary. I been using the NEI plugin but i really want to know how it work.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
look up mendelian inheritance.
basically, a 2x2 square.
take the traits from each parent down each side, cross.

this picture takes most of the basics for mendelian genetics, but theres a few key differences between that and bees, as dominance only plays a role in choosing what traits the queen has.
recessive, or inactive traits, only take part when picking the decendents, the choice is random. no dominance in the mendelian sense.

say youre crossing a rocky with a meadows.
all resultants will be hybrids.
15% chance one will have the "common" species trait.

crossing two hybrids:
25% chance of a pure bee
50% chance of hybrid
25% chance of the other pure bee.

if you breed a hybrid with a pure bee,
50% chance of a pure bee of the same type as the starting pure
50% chance for a hybrid.

this assumes there are only two species traits being used.

the fertility trait boosts your odds.
basically, the system rolls the dice 4 times for max fertility, so you will probably see 1-2 pure bees, 2-3 hybrids.
x1 fertility is BAD. youre relying on a SINGLE dice roll to decide everything. basically a very good way to lose a hybrid mutation that you bred with a bee that didnt also have that mutation. (1 of 4 traits is the mutation)

in a practical sense, figure out the next bee in line, grab the two that generate it, breed them together, and thier hybrids together, until the desired trait comes out for both active and inactive on both a princess and a drone.
dont use outside drones unless you dont catch and remove a active 1x fertility trait.
only use whats generated by this apiary.

for converting a princess, you will want several of the drones of the species you want to generate. you want these to stack.
discard whatever drones this produces, use your stacked drones with the princess. this will eventually force out everything else but the traits on those drones.

Reactions: RedBoss

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
thx for the detailed explanation, punett square is what this is in america. For the last part of converting princess, let said i have rocky princess and a stack of industrious drone, do they have to be pure bred? If what you saying for converting princess is that evntually the rocky princess will be converted to a pure bred industrious princess

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Just use the beealyzer on the unknown bees, then breed bees that have the traits you want together.

In simplest terms, analyze them, find which has the traits closest to what you want, breed them. Eventually you might get an offspring, (princess or drone) that could have a trait closer to the one you want, so on so forth. The easiest way to breed for success is to know what traits you want, find them then breed.

Notice how I said "find the trait then breed them" almost three times. This is how selective breeding works.

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem i seem to lack isvmaking pure bred bees and making ton of queen

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
That is done by breeding bees of the same breed together. Everything is probability, similar to gambling. If you're any good at poker or blackjack, this should be a simple concept.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
thx for the detailed explanation, punett square is what this is in america. For the last part of converting princess, let said i have rocky princess and a stack of industrious drone, do they have to be pure bred? If what you saying for converting princess is that evntually the rocky princess will be converted to a pure bred industrious princess
the drones dont have to be purebred (but i dont really need hybrids with the advanced genetics stuff, and purebreads are somewhat easier to manage)
but they do have to have the exact same traits (shown by thier stacking)
and you are correct- the princess will become whatever the stack of drones is. great for duplicating a bee w/o having to start over a couple bees lower.

rockys are pretty bad starters, but they are your key to the metal/gem bees.
i got suprised by a diamond bee when the species first came up, i thought the 4x i was using would transfer, it didnt, and i lost the diamond trait. good thing i had a spare diamond drone laying around. always check.
beealyzer is almost required.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem i seem to lack isvmaking pure bred bees and making ton of queen

Make sure you're using frames to maximize your chances. Soul frames for mutation and Chocolate frames for purifying (Or oblivion frames if you have them).