Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I can back up your appeal if you'd like. I'll probably get a warning but I hate "Don't argue with the mods" rules anyway.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I can back up your appeal if you'd like. I'll probably get a warning but I hate "Don't argue with the mods" rules anyway.
If you like. I just hope that either talking about it elsewhere or having people talk on my behalf is not counted against me.

You can also, if you wish, verify three things:
  1. I get a lot of trolls, so sharing an IP with me is hardly surprising given enough time and a 5000+ person network
  2. I am not stupid enough to jeopardize my entire account by alt-ing to troll people (I am surprised and glad their policy is not instant-permaban).
  3. I am one of the last people who would troll something
Here you go. I already told them you were coming. :p
http://www.minecraftforum.net/appeals/1367

Last edited:

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to ruin things for you oh mysterious and powerful dragon @Reika but what happened?

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Sorry to ruin things for you oh mysterious and powerful dragon @Reika but what happened?

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2
Someone else on my university's network used a MCF account to troll, and because it was on the same IP as me (being the same network), I got flagged as making an alt and banned from posting for 5 days.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Also... Why ASSUME it was you? I can't imagine on a campus with 60k+ students that you are the ONLY one on mcf. I'd be interested to see if you were the only one to get such punishment.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Also... Why ASSUME it was you? I can't imagine on a campus with 60k+ students that you are the ONLY one on mcf. I'd be interested to see if you were the only one to get such punishment.
Probably not. I obviously have no data on the percentage of students who were not in class and use the MCF, but I suspect there were at minimum 50, if not more.

This of all things may be what drives me away from the forum. Glitchy software was bad. Broken searches, broken quoting, et cetera was irritating. But getting banned at the drop of a hat because of an easily broken assumption (same IP = same person) is beyond the line.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I bet even some who were in class were on it. I know when I was in school there were times I was on this board DURING class. But either way. My deepest apologies for what is a dumb decision.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Did they cite any other evidence linking you to the account other than the public IP claim? There's got to be SOMETHING else or that's a really unprofessional policy.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Because MCF's moderation team is a factory farm that handles a less polite/mature set than the one we handle here and they apparently err on the side of over-enforcement while going about the mountain of moderation work they have to handle. I think it's a dumb policy too (Especially for any forum that's >1 year old and >1k users) but I can understand how it got picked in the triage of moderation bandwidth concerns (something's gotta give, sometimes).

Depending on the level of access and technical capability of the moderator in this case, they may have zero context beyond "IP match", too. I habitually run iplocation whenever dealing with anything on the IP layer, but then again I also admin a site where we've historically had a heavy academic presence (faculty and students), so I'm prepared on that.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Because MCF's moderation team is a factory farm that handles a less polite/mature set than the one we handle here and they apparently err on the side of over-enforcement while going about the mountain of moderation work they have to handle. I think it's a dumb policy too (Especially for any forum that's >1 year old and >1k users) but I can understand how it got picked in the triage of moderation bandwidth concerns (something's gotta give, sometimes).

Depending on the level of access and technical capability of the moderator in this case, they may have zero context beyond "IP match", too. I habitually run iplocation whenever dealing with anything on the IP layer, but then again I also admin a site where we've historically had a heavy academic presence (faculty and students), so I'm prepared on that.
But to pick out one person who used that particular service is beyond asinine. I understand dealing with a less mature crowd. But as it stands I see it as being a case of example setting. Granted I do not know if reika was the only one from this up to receive such a ban.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
But to pick out one person who used that particular service is beyond asinine. I understand dealing with a less mature crowd. But as it stands I see it as being a case of example setting. Granted I do not know if reika was the only one from this up to receive such a ban.
There's a whole quasi-political screed on the nature of bureaucracies, bureaucrats, and the enshrinement of "policies and procedures" I would launch into, but I don't think I want to suggest the implementation of a Bureaucrat NPC into RotaryCraft, so I'll leave it at that here.

Lord_Ralex

Jul 29, 2019
A university does not send all connections on their network out through one IP. It might seem that way, but it does not. They have a subnet which is shared across those users.

That being said, this is why appeals exist. We all know everyone makes mistakes, and that system is in place to make sure they get fixed. Going out to get support on something really does not make it get worked out any faster.

Alts are not something that is easy to handle, and we know that people could share IPs. There will never be a perfect system to handle that case.

I have really not seen through the few years that I dealt with actual alt bans that actually were because of educational/work places being used and it was a coincidence. I have seen it once. Over many, many, many bans.

Your appeal has been noticed and will be handled. We do not really need this being talked about here as not all information is presented to both sides and it just leaves open-ended discussions which could be very well wrong and paint the wrong images.