Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I'm trying to automate the blast furnace right now since I'm spending much too much time on making steel.
For some reason the blast furnace only exposes 1 out of 9 slots though, which is a minor nuisance loading it manually (shift click once, and then scramble to fill the 8 other slots...oh, bummer, didn't get that last piece in there, damn you hot blast furnace, now i'm down 1 piece of coal coke).

But automating it really takes the cake. You only get to insert into slot 1, which means i get terrible efficiency out of it (which makes my skin crawl), and I've tried
x Itemducts
x Hoppers
x Storage Busses
x Export Busses
x Turtles
x Computers
x Droppers
x Item Pumps
x Buildcraft Pipes
x Logistics Pipes
x Prayer

to get those other 8 slots filled to capacity. There also seems to be no way to automate coal coke (wait, why the hell not?). That just seems utterly broken.

The steel purifier is just acting as nonsensically in my opinion, with you being able to insert the gunpowder and steel into it automatically, but the sand slot being inaccessible? Why is that?

I mean I get the high input/high reward ethos of this mod, and I make a point of overengineering my setups to the point of ridiculousness. But I think that rotarycraft shouldn't be simply about steelmaking, because right now I spend approximately 2 hours on steelmaking, 15 minutes on crafting and 15 minutes on assembly, which is simply silly. I mean if I want tedium, I'll load up Gregtech or something, or play vanilla.

Rotarycraft is a great mod, and I love playing it. But it's incredibly upsetting to me when something as rudimentary as steelmaking requires manual input to do efficiently. I don't even really care about the cost of doing it, I'd spend a nether star on a blast furnace that can use all 9 slots automatically and without fuss.

So Reika, what's the motivation behind closing those 8 slots in the recent version?

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I'm trying to automate the blast furnace right now since I'm spending much too much time on making steel.
For some reason the blast furnace only exposes 1 out of 9 slots though, which is a minor nuisance loading it manually (shift click once, and then scramble to fill the 8 other slots...oh, bummer, didn't get that last piece in there, damn you hot blast furnace, now i'm down 1 piece of coal coke).

But automating it really takes the cake. You only get to insert into slot 1, which means i get terrible efficiency out of it (which makes my skin crawl), and I've tried
x Itemducts
x Hoppers
x Storage Busses
x Export Busses
x Turtles
x Computers
x Droppers
x Item Pumps
x Buildcraft Pipes
x Logistics Pipes
x Prayer

to get those other 8 slots filled to capacity. There also seems to be no way to automate coal coke (wait, why the hell not?). That just seems utterly broken.

The steel purifier is just acting as nonsensically in my opinion, with you being able to insert the gunpowder and steel into it automatically, but the sand slot being inaccessible? Why is that?

I mean I get the high input/high reward ethos of this mod, and I make a point of overengineering my setups to the point of ridiculousness. But I think that rotarycraft shouldn't be simply about steelmaking, because right now I spend approximately 2 hours on steelmaking, 15 minutes on crafting and 15 minutes on assembly, which is simply silly. I mean if I want tedium, I'll load up Gregtech or something, or play vanilla.

Rotarycraft is a great mod, and I love playing it. But it's incredibly upsetting to me when something as rudimentary as steelmaking requires manual input to do efficiently. I don't even really care about the cost of doing it, I'd spend a nether star on a blast furnace that can use all 9 slots automatically and without fuss.

So Reika, what's the motivation behind closing those 7 slots in the recent version?
That's...strange.

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
I'll proably have to find a way around it, since the pulse jet furnace is also wonky for steelmaking (incredible jet fuel consumption and the only way to get it to the appropriate temperature is using a really unstable cooling fin setup)

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019

x Itemducts
x Hoppers
x Storage Busses
x Export Busses
x Turtles
x Computers
x Droppers
x Item Pumps
x Buildcraft Pipes
x Logistics Pipes
x Prayer

to get those other 8 slots filled to capacity.

Once you set the recipe by putting 1 iron in each slot, automation can insert into the other slots, but that's as automated as you can get with it. If you have trouble getting the iron in each slot fast enough you can just take out one of the side ingredients first.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019

x Itemducts
x Hoppers
x Storage Busses
x Export Busses
x Turtles
x Computers
x Droppers
x Item Pumps
x Buildcraft Pipes
x Logistics Pipes
x Prayer

So Reika, what's the motivation behind closing those 8 slots in the recent version?
Change the side of your inputs. I had export bus filling every slot I think (was a few weeks ago) in the side (out the back, coal and stuff on top)

Other way around, SFM and factorization can insert in any slot

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested itemducts from the top, back and sides. Still only inserts into a single slot. Can't get enderIO to insert at all, but I don't have too much experience with that mod.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested itemducts from the top, back and sides. Still only inserts into a single slot. Can't get enderIO to insert at all, but I don't have too much experience with that mod.
Did you try rotary's pneumatic pipes?

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
O.O To be fair I haven't tried automating it since 1.6, but even if you place 1 iron in each slot manually it won't insert into the other slots? Also very strange that EnderIO isn't inserting even to the first one.

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, tried pneumatic pipes as well. I'm working on a system to automate everything else right now. Coal Coke is a bummer too, there doesn't seem to be a way to insert coal into the right slot to make coke either. Our server is on RC 1.6 v25z right now. Acording to Demo it worked in the earlier versions, so it seems to be a recent change.

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
There's a line in the changelog for v25 that says
RotaryCraft: Redesigned Blast Furnace item automation to make recipes easier to automate

toggling redstone to it like the fermenter however does not open up those slots for insertion. what did reika actually change in that version?

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
So it is automatable with some careful level monitoring? Awesome. That's a strange way for it to work, but it's better than me configuring a PIM to give me iron to hand insert into the furnace, and then using modems to pull coke into the furnace once all 9 stacks are filled. I allready had the code written for it -.-

Also, can I add that to the reikamods wiki?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So it is automatable with some careful level monitoring? Awesome. That's a strange way for it to work, but it's better than me configuring a PIM to give me iron to hand insert into the furnace, and then using modems to pull coke into the furnace once all 9 stacks are filled. I allready had the code written for it -.-

Also, can I add that to the reikamods wiki?
That wiki is supposed to be dead.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019

So, are you saying that if I start with all 9 slots having iron, and make sure that I don't empty it, then automation can keep filling all 9 slots?

Next question: Will a comparator monitor the iron level, and let me turn it off before it empties?

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
An option to prevent the blast furnace from using the last stack of a recipe, like a Railcraft rolling machine, wouldn't be a bad feature. Perhaps have the feature activate by application of a redstone signal?