Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
I didn't say they were useless :p

I said "until you get a good handle on the power requirements of the mod". There is nothing wrong with using multiple engines to run multiple fans while you're learning. The shaft junctions work unintuitively because balance, they are actively detrimental to learning the approximate power outputs and good use cases for the engines in stock configurations. That doesn't mean that they're useless, just that expecting to use them as a new player will likely mislead you and cause frustrating behavior.

Also that mostly applies to merge mode. Nothing wrong with split mode so long as the user realizes it's an even split. But there is also almost nothing wrong with overpowering things... you'll end up doing that a LOT in RoC, might as well get used to it early :p
I guess our experiences and approaches just differ, then :) When I wanted to get a tree farm going I checked the power/torque requirements of the woodcutter, and saw that it needs twice the torque produced by a steam engine. Initially I used a 2:1 gearbox to double the torque, but I got bored with adding lubricant the whole time (early game, no proper lubricant infrastructure), so the obvious conclusion was a pair of steam engines and a shaft junction, which worked (and still works) quite nicely. I didn't find anything unintuitive about it, personally.

Reactions: PierceSG

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
I planned it out in my head pretty well, I only needed one bevel gear. Had I actually marked out where I wanted things, I probably could have made it more compact.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
And yet, repeatedly you see errors from complete newcomers utilizing the shaft junction in merge mode. Sure *I* can merge just fine, *you* can merge just fine, but my advice is geared at "what's a newton-meter? You mean I can join engines to get more power?!" level newcomers. Sure there are lots of places where they're going to be useful, but use them as a LAST resort while learning the mod. Thanks to the balance change they don't work intuitively to those not already familiar with RoC, but ARE familiar with the rest of modded MC. Hence trying NOT to use them being a good guidepost for a learner. There are many times and places where they are useful, and there are even more places where (to your regular modded MC player) they seem like they should be useful but actually aren't thanks to the differences between RoC and something like TE/Mek/BC.

Obviously there is a use-case for them, or they wouldn't be in the mod. But using them as a crutch while learning just seems like hurting your own learning for no good reason, at least to me.

Reactions: Reika

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
May someone help me with version V9a? I had no luck searching in this forum as well as the one at MCF
If my memory is correct shock panels from Expanded Redstone drop mob items (right?).
If that is correct I built a basic 3x3 killing chamber with 3 emerald grade shock panels. After killing dozens of blazes, powered by a RoC spawner controller, I have yet to get a single mob item. I duplicated the chamber with the insta kill ones with no luck. I even tried putting chests adjacent to the panels to test if an inventory is required.

Edit:
Also noticed when standing directly behind the panel my player is damaged. Bug?
Double edit:
Just read in the RoC handbook that the mob harvester will work. Does the insta kill panel drop items only from the Wither Boss?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
May someone help me with version V9a? I had no luck searching in this forum as well as the one at MCF
If my memory is correct shock panels from Expanded Redstone drop mob items (right?).
If that is correct I built a basic 3x3 killing chamber with 3 emerald grade shock panels. After killing dozens of blazes, powered by a RoC spawner controller, I have yet to get a single mob item. I duplicated the chamber with the insta kill ones with no luck. I even tried putting chests adjacent to the panels to test if an inventory is required.

Edit:
Also noticed when standing directly behind the panel my player is damaged. Bug?
Double edit:
Just read in the RoC handbook that the mob harvester will work. Does the insta kill panel drop items only from the Wither Boss?
Blaze rods only drop from player damage, which is not dealt by the shock panels.

Reactions: JoshBogs

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Did I overlook a way to detect an empty steam engine, or a "hot" steam engine?

Goal: In a world with RFO (finite water that flows, distance based on players), if there are no players near the engine, it will pump all the available water, and no more water will flow until a player is near enough. When this happens, I want to turn it off so it doesn't explode later.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I got a weird bug that I just encountered.

So I wanted to connect 4 steam engines to 1 induction generator via shaft junction. Apparently, the junction snaps when I try to connect the 4th engine to the generator. However, if I screwdriver the generator to face another direction, place the junction, then face it the proper way, the whole thing works dandy.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I got a weird bug that I just encountered.

So I wanted to connect 4 steam engines to 1 induction generator via shaft junction. Apparently, the junction snaps when I try to connect the 4th engine to the generator. However, if I screwdriver the generator to face another direction, place the junction, then face it the proper way, the whole thing works dandy.
Just to make sure: You're using three separate junctions because each only has two inputs, right? I doubt you'd be trying to plug four different shafts into the same junction block, but I want to make sure.

In any case, that sounds like a bug. Out of curiosity (and for a guess as to what's going on), can you use this screwdriver trick to combine the outputs of more than four engines?

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Just to make sure: You're using three separate junctions because each only has two inputs, right? I doubt you'd be trying to plug four different shafts into the same junction block, but I want to make sure.

In any case, that sounds like a bug. Out of curiosity (and for a guess as to what's going on), can you use this screwdriver trick to combine the outputs of more than four engines?

3 junctions, 4 engines, exactly how you would expect to do it. I played around in creative for a bit. The 3rd junction snaps with 4 industrial coils or 4 gasoline engines which leads me to believe that it will snap with every type of engine. Interestingly, using bedrock junctions yield the same results.

And no, you cannot abuse the screwdriver trick to bypass the steel junction's 4 engine limit. It snaps the second you add in a 5th engine. It only helps you work around this bug.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
3 junctions, 4 engines, exactly how you would expect to do it. I played around in creative for a bit. The 3rd junction snaps with 4 industrial coils or 4 gasoline engines which leads me to believe that it will snap with every type of engine. Interestingly, using bedrock junctions yield the same results.

And no, you cannot abuse the screwdriver trick to bypass the steel junction's 4 engine limit. It snaps the second you add in a 5th engine. It only helps you work around this bug.
Wait...it happens with bedrock junctions?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Are they running while you are still tinkering with the setup?

Or did you only start all the engines once after everything is in place?

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason you can get aluminum dust from redstone ore, but not nether redstone ore? The same might be true with other nether ores and their byproducts, but I didn't have extra to test with.

If not, is it possible to add extractor recipes with modtweaker? I play a custom single player pack that no one has access to.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I've got a suggestion...dunno how viable it is, but here goes: tungsten tools as an in-between between HSLA and bedrock. They could be quick and immensely durable, but not as powerful as the bedrock tools. I think it'd be a neat feature in RoC-centered packs or even just as a gift to friends who aren't as far along in the tech tree to help 'em out.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Expanding on that: Alloyed Tungsten (Sintered Tungsten + HSLA Steel + Aluminum Powder?) in Blast Furnace. 1.5x HSLA durability, mines Obsidian decently (for example,) cannot hold enchantments. Tools only.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2