Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just a quick question, I've recently started up rotary craft again in my new world. Started up my fermenters and they're going through stacks of items in seconds....while being powered by a DC engine....has there been a dramatic change in this mechanic in version 7 or is this a bug?

Edit for typos
Fixed in v8.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft fertilizer machine sure still works, and you can use the mfr harvester with a compatibility mod, but IMO Rotarycraft fertilizer makes magic crops a bit over powered

BrodyBrunch

Jul 29, 2019
Doing this is a bad idea from both a style and a "making people not hate me" standpoint, and I am not going to do anything to make certain idiotic fever dreams look plausible.
I'm sure whatever decisions you make, are for the better of rotary-craft

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, have you seen the hilburn has created Advanced System Manager and apparently it has Electricraft support? Does Electricraft have an api to allow support? Hope this doesn't start or spread drama.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika, have you seen the hilburn has created Advanced System Manager and apparently it has Electricraft support? Does Electricraft have an api to allow support? Hope this doesn't start or spread drama.
I know hilburn, so I doubt his intentions are malicious. That said, ElC has no API, so how he did this is unknown to me. Also, what kind of support does it have?

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I know hilburn, so I doubt his intentions are malicious. That said, ElC has no API, so how he did this is unknown to me. Also, what kind of support does it have?
There is a post on the feedthebeast reddit that links to curse. On there it simply states Electricraft support, which I'm assuming is intended to transfer Electricraft energy the same as rf? Idk

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Features in development or on the list:

1. GUI rewrite - I aim for it to be much more intuitive and akin to an actual piece of software - right click something to get a menu of options to do with stuff, open multiple tabs and be able to move between them easily, scroll and zoom in the manager window, open a window to edit a command rather than have the little on screen expansion etc
  2. Adding missing conditions for eg. RF and Aspects
  3. Mekanism gas handling
  4. Electricraft energy transfer
  5. Comparator condition
  6. Re-adding the last couple of SFM commands (eg Autocrafting)
  7. Improved config with the ability to turn things off
  8. More and better recipes
  9. ComputerCraft/OpenComputer cable block and command
  10. Improved variable handling
  11. In-game Help fuctionality
http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/234882-advanced-systems-manager

If he doesn't have an API, I think the key information to take away from this is that it's "on the list" rather than "in development".

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that the steam engine and wind turbine are skippable tiers. Is this intended?

*edit: I realized the gasoline engine and hydrokinetic are skippable also, I just used those in my base so I didn't remember.

Last edited:

birdspider

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I (we, 2players) started yesterday with a harder mod-modded FTB Infinity
(-Myst -ComputerCraft -Portal -Wichery +RotaryCraft +ReactorCraft +ElectriCraft +SpiceOfLive)

I did a overhoul of cofh/world gen which adds Veins, Spikes, Geodes and adds/mods configs for
Vanilla, FTBInfinity; adds Custom Chisel, adds RotaryCraft ores.

/oredistribution 128; is about 1/2-2/3 of (FTBInfinity+Rotary@10%)

(forgot Gravel/Dirt though will retrogen it)

Would anyone be interested in the configs or (xray-)screenshots ? (After I fix/retrogen dirt and gravel)

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
They are probably talking about chaining four DC electric engines (16nm) >> worm gear (16:1) >> Grinder to skip wind/steam power sources. I can't imagine why this would be preferable for the time it would take to complete a single operation (~32 seconds) with a perishable gearbox, all in exchange for the upfront cost of a little more HSLA steel.

In either case, making the ethanol engine is not strictly necessary - it has its applications, but it's not gating anything either. AC Electric engines, while more expensive, offer renewable power with a higher output. Consequently, by the time I'm ever ready to start burning ethanol, the performance engine is a more attractive option.

tl;dr They aren't skipping ethanol tech, per se, but there are portions of the tree that seem rather redundant.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
They are probably talking about chaining four DC electric engines (16nm) >> worm gear (16:1) >> Grinder to skip wind/steam power sources. I can't imagine why this would be preferable for the time it would take to complete a single operation (~32 seconds) with a perishable gearbox, all in exchange for the upfront cost of a little more HSLA steel.

In either case, making the ethanol engine is not strictly necessary - it has its applications, but it's not gating anything either. AC Electric engines, while more expensive, offer renewable power with a higher output. Consequently, by the time I'm ever ready to start burning ethanol, the performance engine is a more attractive option.

tl;dr They aren't skipping ethanol tech, per se, but there are portions of the tree that seem rather redundant.
Any ideas on how to fix that?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Curious: Is this actually a problem to the point where most people are doing it? Multiple routes to an objective, including glossing a single tier, are fun if implemented and designed well.

On the other hand, if this is a scenario of "nobody does the other method at all because they're just skipping it", that's a problem.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Any ideas on how to fix that?
Do your worm gears generate heat? I've never used them in game and I'm not in a position to test it at the moment, but it's supposed to be one of the primary mechanical disadvantages of the assembly as they do generate quite a lot of heat from friction. Adjusting the 16:1 ratio might be a simpler gating mechanism.

[big edit]
As for the ethanol engine, I have thought about it before, as I honestly don't find that I get much mileage out of them. The performance engine is just a more attractive alternative for the kinds of jobs where I want/need to burn ethanol. Even with its increased fuel costs, the power out put at that stage makes it a more cost effective engine in terms of material investment and power output. Not to mention the real estate footprint.

In any event, I'm normally swimming in sludge and ethanol. I'm loathe to suggest it because it would impact one of my favorite early power setups, but maybe the thing to do would be to detect when AC Electric engines are being used to charge magnetized cores and prevent the chain from working in that manner. It is effectively an overunity device when it comes right down to it and "would make better sense" if magnetized cores could only be charged by other sources of power. As compensation, I might suggest reverting the maximum achievable charge based on rad/s to the way it was before. I kind of like being able to charge up a core that's going to last for a month at at time :p.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Do your worm gears generate heat? I've never used them in game and I'm not in a position to test it at the moment, but it's supposed to be one of the primary mechanical disadvantages of the assembly as they do generate quite a lot of heat from friction.
Indirectly/abstractly, yes. They require a lot of lubricant to operate.