Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
How about a HP turbine blueprint block, like the one for the fusion reactor?
I like this idea, but the way that the turbine is built (unless it's changed since 1.6.4), I think it'd be hard to show the layers of blocks. The fusion reactor has precise part placement, but it's massive, so the hologram works. The turbine has so many adjacent and enclosed blocks that a blueprint in the same style would be unhelpful.

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
Again V.7f - My centrifuge doesn't work with combs any more. Only has 13 recipes in NEI. I don't think that's intended, is it?

JohnOC

Jul 29, 2019
I like this idea, but the way that the turbine is built (unless it's changed since 1.6.4), I think it'd be hard to show the layers of blocks. The fusion reactor has precise part placement, but it's massive, so the hologram works. The turbine has so many adjacent and enclosed blocks that a blueprint in the same style would be unhelpful.

I'll cop to not remembering precisely what the blueprint does off the top of my head, I may agree..
What is in my head is a wire-frame on the outer block edges of each layer and block type in the hp turbine. If the wires drawn could be shaded or colored slightly differently from each other maybe that'd help too. If I recall right there are only 3 types of block used, the big issue is putting them all in the right pattern - so a line to build out to with the turbine blade blocks, and then another line to build out to with the housing blocks seems to me like it'd help.

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
when you use a bedrockdrill in an extractor its not possible to automate it correctly. I need a redstone signal when it is empty, but it is never empty :/

I like the idea with the blueprint, you can assume you are building the blocks in a very specific order and you can assume that you are lookign from one specific direction on the blocks, when you started in a certain way. maybe that helps.

Last edited:

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
That was the idea. Unfortunately, all that code was built into the CC lexicon GUI, and I tried abstracting it out with no success.
I had a feeling that's why it hadn't been done already. As the suggestions below build for a fusion reactor blueprint type block increase I have an idea for that. Is it possible to have a block that when placed, projects ghost blocks above of the appropriate blocks instead of wire frames of blocks like the reactor blueprint does. If this makes no sense then ignore this, it made sense in my head but maybe not so much in text.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I had a feeling that's why it hadn't been done already. As the suggestions below build for a fusion reactor blueprint type block increase I have an idea for that. Is it possible to have a block that when placed, projects ghost blocks above of the appropriate blocks instead of wire frames of blocks like the reactor blueprint does. If this makes no sense then ignore this, it made sense in my head but maybe not so much in text.
I understand what you are describing, but for a solid structure it would be rather unhelpful, only rendering the exterior.

As it happens, I have spent the last two days working on handbook GUI rendering of the structures, and the same problem is apparent.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I understand what you are describing, but for a solid structure it would be rather unhelpful, only rendering the exterior.

As it happens, I have spent the last two days working on handbook GUI rendering of the structures, and the same problem is apparent.
Minechem does a neat trick where the ghost blocks for the fusion/fission reactors are displayed one layer of the cross-section at a time.

No idea how they did that.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
All of my favorite multiblock presentation (in handbook) methods use layer-by-layer step-through. Ars Magica 2 and Immersive Engineering are the only two that jump to mind, but I know other mod authors have done the same thing. IE is even open source, so you could see how they do it. Also from what I recall, those handbooks also provide the name of the blocks when you mouse over them :)

That having been said, take a look at the way Schematica presents its schematics in world. As long as the various components are visually distinct even if the alpha is turned down? Something like that would work beautifully. Especially if you presented layer-by-layer, which you could do as simply as cycling through them by right-clicking on the blueprint marker.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
All of my favorite multiblock presentation (in handbook) methods use layer-by-layer step-through. Ars Magica 2 and Immersive Engineering are the only two that jump to mind, but I know other mod authors have done the same thing. IE is even open source, so you could see how they do it. Also from what I recall, those handbooks also provide the name of the blocks when you mouse over them :)

That having been said, take a look at the way Schematica presents its schematics in world. As long as the various components are visually distinct even if the alpha is turned down? Something like that would work beautifully. Especially if you presented layer-by-layer, which you could do as simply as cycling through them by right-clicking on the blueprint marker.
I have layer-by-layer display as well.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think thos suggestion might be a little out of line but there are certain machines I feel are odd to need rotational energy. For example the cctv and turrets.
I propose some integration with Electricraft for those machines that look odd to need shaft power. Either scoop those machines in to electricraft or make it so you can add an upgrade (internal servos) that makes the machine run directly on joules. Make it so each machine needs its watt equivalent of amperage/ voltage or bad things happen.

It's just seems absurd that to run a turret that would likely be controlled by a series of electrical microservos, for some reason need mechanical power only to function.
Unless you are implying that all your electronic machines have on board dynamos to generate the current needed for say a rail gun.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That was my guess, aye. The "more than likely electric" devices in RotaryCraft would have something along the lines of an induction generator inside them, turning the rotational energy into electrical energy.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That was my guess, aye. The "more than likely electric" devices in RotaryCraft would have something along the lines of an induction generator inside them, turning the rotational energy into electrical energy.
Which would feel super silly if you where powering it with an induction motor.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Unless you are implying that all your electronic machines have on board dynamos to generate the current needed for say a rail gun.
That indeed was the implication, or in some cases alternative methods in place of the traditional EM systems (much like the solenoid in the Tokamak, which in the real world is an electromagnet).

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Got a bit of a major exploit in RotaryCraft (using v7f)...

When using the blast furnace to make steel, you can mousewheel on a stack of HSLA in your inventory for infinite XP. Might also be worth noting that I have a watch of flowing time from Project E on top of it, speeding it up.

[ETA]
It seems to only be a visual glitch. Things go back to normal when you gain a point.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Got a bit of a major exploit in RotaryCraft (using v7f)...

When using the blast furnace to make steel, you can mousewheel on a stack of HSLA in your inventory for infinite XP. Might also be worth noting that I have a watch of flowing time from Project E on top of it, speeding it up.

[ETA]
It seems to only be a visual glitch. Things go back to normal when you gain a point.
Any GUI interaction drains the machine's XP into the player. No more can be given after that.