Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
He meant "Tectonic Petrotheum" not "pyrotheum"
Oh right, yeah I meant petrotheum as it's got the same 4k density as most of their fluids but only 1.5k viscosity unlike ender or cryotheum.
It's always odd when TF adds new stuff... mana STILL isn't used for crap's sake, and Signalum only really became a thing with Dynamics. I can't help but think they're suffering from useless content bloat
There is a planned mod called Thermal Ascension which is meant to use that stuff more heavily, planned as in they mean to make it at some point. Add something about adding the resources so they can use them when they want to and it works. Also mana technically does have a use, it's the method of getting mana infused metal, although that doesn't have a use which is a different issue.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, I noticed the "Search function for the handbook" on gtihub. Just putting my two cents in in a more appropriate place. A similar feature (searchable index) is just about the only way I use the Lexica Botania. Then again I forget what categories Vazkii puts a lot of the edge cases in. At least most of the stuff in RoC I don't have to search forever to find, engines are in engines after all :p. But depending on how you constructed the handbook code originally, a filterable/searchable index of page links would be nice (and there's nothing that says you can't have multiple links that point to the same page, or put useful sub-pages in a tag-like system. Say 'Performance Engine' and 'Performance Engine (torque)')

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika, I noticed the "Search function for the handbook" on gtihub. Just putting my two cents in in a more appropriate place. A similar feature (searchable index) is just about the only way I use the Lexica Botania. Then again I forget what categories Vazkii puts a lot of the edge cases in. At least most of the stuff in RoC I don't have to search forever to find, engines are in engines after all :p. But depending on how you constructed the handbook code originally, a filterable/searchable index of page links would be nice (and there's nothing that says you can't have multiple links that point to the same page, or put useful sub-pages in a tag-like system. Say 'Performance Engine' and 'Performance Engine (torque)')
All info regarding a machine is on that machine's page or its subpages (so, with your example, "Performance Engine" is under "Engines", and its torque is listed on the subpage).

More importantly, however, I doubt this to be implementable at all without a total rewrite, something that would also force a rewrite of the ReactorCraft and ElectriCraft handbooks and the ChromatiCraft lexicon.

trailertrash13

Jul 29, 2019
so i read most of this thread and followed a lot of your policy change thread. And it seems most people don't like the risk for reward with ReC that's OK i do. anyway here is my idea. new block reinforced concrete made with one steel Block then eight concrete blocks around the steel block. and use similar mechanics like how steel adsorbs neutrons. but with a hardness scale. one block pick a number 100 hardness 2 blocks its goes to 168. 3 goes to 244 whatever but you get diminishing returns as you stack them so no super spam. but people will build a containment vessel for there reactor. and to streamline concrete production make a multi-block mixer with a stage for each ingredient like the extractor and power requirements for each stage. well thats my two cents. and keep up the good work i love your mods thank you

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
so i read most of this thread and followed a lot of your policy change thread. And it seems most people don't like the risk for reward with ReC that's OK i do. anyway here is my idea. new block reinforced concrete made with one steel Block then eight concrete blocks around the steel block. and use similar mechanics like how steel adsorbs neutrons. but with a hardness scale. one block pick a number 100 hardness 2 blocks its goes to 168. 3 goes to 244 whatever but you get diminishing returns as you stack them so no super spam. but people will build a containment vessel for there reactor. and to streamline concrete production make a multi-block mixer with a stage for each ingredient like the extractor and power requirements for each stage. well thats my two cents. and keep up the good work i love your mods thank you
Concrete already exists as a neutron absorber.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings!

I'm at the point now where, for the first time, I'm ready to start migrating my base infrastructure to a nuclear-powered facility. The building phase begins tonight! In addition to my duties at work, I've also been thinking a great deal about the steps that I need to take in order to build and safely operate my first nuclear reactor(s). To that end, I've also spent the last week or so reading as much material as I can get my hands on. Nowhere in any of the documentation that I've read have I heard mention of a tool that, in my mind at least, would seem to make building and trouble shooting reactor hotspots more intuitive.

Which brings me to my suggestion: Thermal / Infrared Goggles.

I did some searching and my Googlefu has revealed that, recently, someone might have beaten me to the punch over here:

Now there's an idea for ElC or RotaryCraft: some kinda thermal goggles that would allow you to see how hot certain blocks are and give you a readout on the current ambient temperature. It'd help a lot with debugging certain machines (coughPerformanceEnginecough) and, you have to admit, it'd be cool as hell.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...craft-suggestions.46206/page-140#post-1021226
I'd like to second this suggestion!

What are the chances that something like this could be implemented? I might be all wrong, but the RC I/O Goggles seem to be at least a step in that direction. What if rather than reading the I/O sides of machines, they were instead modulated by the temperature of each block within a short radius, say within 16 blocks, of the player? Similar to the semi-transparent overlay that we see in the I/O goggles, would an overlay based upon a temperature gradient not unlike that used by vanilla MC to determine light levels work?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Greetings!

I'm at the point now where, for the first time, I'm ready to start migrating my base infrastructure to a nuclear-powered facility. The building phase begins tonight! In addition to my duties at work, I've also been thinking a great deal about the steps that I need to take in order to build and safely operate my first nuclear reactor(s). To that end, I've also spent the last week or so reading as much material as I can get my hands on. Nowhere in any of the documentation that I've read have I heard mention of a tool that, in my mind at least, would seem to make building and trouble shooting reactor hotspots more intuitive.

Which brings me to my suggestion: Thermal / Infrared Goggles.

I did some searching and my Googlefu has revealed that, recently, someone might have beaten me to the punch over here:

I'd like to second this suggestion!

What are the chances that something like this could be implemented? I might be all wrong, but the RC I/O Goggles seem to be at least a step in that direction. What if rather than reading the I/O sides of machines, they were instead modulated by the temperature of each block within a short radius, say within 16 blocks, of the player? Similar to the semi-transparent overlay that we see in the I/O goggles, would an overlay based upon a temperature gradient not unlike that used by vanilla MC to determine light levels work?
Well...it would probably be misleading. All temperature code is calculated in the machine, and though I can make it render ambient temperatures at every point in space, that will not take things like proximity to a hot machine into account. I also think it would end up looking like standing in a cloud of colored dye.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
"Standing in a cloud of colored dye," and this wouldn't be awesome? :p

No, but seriously, for the sake of functionality, what if we dropped the idea of rendering ambient temperature gradients and just went with the block temperature of the reactor core(s), boilers, etc. then? It would maybe be a little uglier but at least we'd have an overview of where our hotspots are and whether or not they need to be addressed (Blue == I need more heat, Yellow == OK, cooking away, Red==Oh shit! and gradients in between).

On that note, just out of curiosity, why don't hot objects radiate heat energy into their surroundings and make changes to ambient temperatures? Emergent behavior or potential for abuse? (I can't imagine that it would be very pleasant standing next to a hot reactor :p)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
On that note, just out of curiosity, why don't hot objects radiate heat energy into their surroundings and make changes to ambient temperatures? Emergent behavior or potential for abuse? (I can't imagine that it would be very pleasant standing next to a hot reactor :p)
They radiate it, and perform effects accordingly (and lose it themselves) but that is not reflected in DragonAPI's "getAmbientTemperatureAt()".

Also, why did you fork my issue tracker...?

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Did I fork your tracker? I'm not sure if I did/what I did/how I might have done that. I'd never used Github before so I might have done something unexpected/unintended. Sorry if I might have upset anything!

ReignOfMagic

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question is there any easy way to fix a boring machine encountering a shielded pylon underground? This happened to one of my 3 boring machines in the deep dark and i had to find the problem which involved flying and genreating 11k~ meteres of chunks.

If there is not thats cool Ill just find out how to blacklist shielded pylons in the deep dark which is option 2 of fixing my problem

ReignOfMagic

Jul 29, 2019
"Standing in a cloud of colored dye," and this wouldn't be awesome? :p

No, but seriously, for the sake of functionality, what if we dropped the idea of rendering ambient temperature gradients and just went with the block temperature of the reactor core(s), boilers, etc. then? It would maybe be a little uglier but at least we'd have an overview of where our hotspots are and whether or not they need to be addressed (Blue == I need more heat, Yellow == OK, cooking away, Red==Oh shit! and gradients in between).

Im not sure it is walia. wawla or what but when i look at most blocks in rotarycraft it tells me damage, heat, fuel levels, etc. That could help you. Im at work so i cant give specific mod list.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
This was a feature suggestion, merely a visual overview of the temperature of RC/ReC blocks near the player, rather than an appeal to any specific and immediate need. But thanks anyway! :)

(But, yes, the mod you're talking about is WAILA - What Am I Looking At)

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
Playing V.7f
1. The drying Bed interface in NEI doesn't tell me which Fluids produce which items.

2. (Reactorcraft) Please make it possible to find out how to build the High-Pressure turbine. Stuff like these multiblock structures should be in the handbook.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Playing V.7f
1. The drying Bed interface in NEI doesn't tell me which Fluids produce which items.

2. (Reactorcraft) Please make it possible to find out how to build the High-Pressure turbine. Stuff like these multiblock structures should be in the handbook.
1 is already implemented and 2 is...difficult to say the least.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
Some console messages seem to have hyperlinks, would it be any easier to include a link from the manual to something online? even that is a pretty big step up from trying to hunt it down ourselves. When new at this

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Some console messages seem to have hyperlinks, would it be any easier to include a link from the manual to something online? even that is a pretty big step up from trying to hunt it down ourselves. When new at this
There is no guarantee any online resource exists or will remain up-to-date, so putting in a link is dangerous.