Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Are HTGR's still the ones you make real small but tall? That's what I remember making. For example I believe I had a 4-5 high reactor with the CO2 exchangers stacked and reactors stacked up the same height surrounding the four sides of the CO2 units

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Guys I've been out of the loop on ReC for months now but I'm investigating ways to leverage Reika's recent changes to policy and toss some interesting mods together. I need to know, do we have a config option to remove the game-ending catastrophic nuclear explosions ?

Something for user-friendly packs where actual explosions would be highly inappropriate and relying on aroma backups would be meta-intrusive.

Ideally the blocks themselves would still potentially meltdown but without the lingering radiation effects afterwards. In fact even the explosion itself is tolerable so long as its containable with sufficiently high-tech blocks, its really the lingering radiation effects that are a total game-breaker. (e.g rendering the find-a-new-home achievement less relevant)

This would be an absolute must-have option, I couldn't work around it.

Feel free to clarify where I may have details out of date or totally wrong.

Edit: as an obvious follow-up to this, if such a config doesn't exist, Reika is this something you have planned or are willing to entertain? Clearly this wouldn't be appealing to you in the type of packs you play, its simply to extend the range of packs the mod can function well in.

Last edited:

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Guys I've been out of the loop on ReC for months now but I'm investigating ways to leverage Reika's recent changes to policy and toss some interesting mods together. I need to know, do we have a config option to remove the game-ending catastrophic nuclear explosions ?

Something for user-friendly packs where actual explosions would be highly inappropriate and relying on aroma backups would be meta-intrusive.

Ideally the blocks themselves would still potentially meltdown but without the lingering radiation effects afterwards. In fact even the explosion itself is tolerable so long as its containable with sufficiently high-tech blocks, its really the lingering radiation effects that are a total game-breaker. (e.g rendering the find-a-new-home achievement less relevant)

This would be an absolute must-have option, I couldn't work around it.

Feel free to clarify where I may have details out of date or totally wrong.

Edit: as an obvious follow-up to this, if such a config doesn't exist, Reika is this something you have planned or are willing to entertain? Clearly this wouldn't be appealing to you in the type of packs you play, its simply to extend the range of packs the mod can function well in.

I don't know about any configs, but it's pretty easy to deal with the radiation. Any of the kill entities commands works on it. That being said, you need to make sure to clean up any waste first. Waste laying on the ground after an explosion spawns new radiation.

This is how I cleaned up a "woops, my reactor was outside the bases chunk loader..." incident.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't know about any configs, but it's pretty easy to deal with the radiation. Any of the kill entities commands works on it. That being said, you need to make sure to clean up any waste first. Waste laying on the ground after an explosion spawns new radiation.

This is how I cleaned up a "woops, my reactor was outside the bases chunk loader..." incident.
Thanks for the reply zemerick.

Your scenario would be perfectly tolerable if the waste was the only block the emitted any radiation-causing effects. Specifically I can't have players using admin commands to deal with in-game issues, that's an immersion ball-breaker.

But yeah, if I have the option to create a steel bunker 2 blocks thick (or 1-block out of various uber blocks) that can contain the damage so that I can put on a hazmat suit and deal with the issue, that's certainly reasonable.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Say, depleted TRISO fuel pellets are basically depleted uranium pellets, yes? If so, would they make a decent way to add weight to railgun ammo? I mean, depleted uranium has occasionally been used for when one wants a projectile with high weight, density, stopping power, and penetration, so it'd make sense that it'd be even more lethal when fired at railgun speeds. That is, of course, assuming that depleted uranium operates much like aluminium with respect to magnetic fields which, I believe, is why aluminium slugs are typically used in real-world railgun experiments.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Say, depleted TRISO fuel pellets are basically depleted uranium pellets, yes? If so, would they make a decent way to add weight to railgun ammo? I mean, depleted uranium has occasionally been used for when one wants a projectile with high weight, density, stopping power, and penetration, so it'd make sense that it'd be even more lethal when fired at railgun speeds. That is, of course, assuming that depleted uranium operates much like aluminium with respect to magnetic fields which, I believe, is why aluminium slugs are typically used in real-world railgun experiments.
You already can. :p

Reactions: TomeWyrm and Pyure

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno. My boring machines are gathering a lot of spawners. Gathering all the mobs together (with conveyor belts or fans or water) and running them through a gauntlet of autonomous activators with bedrock swords is eventually untenable. Obliterating them with a rail gun however, isn't just awesome, it's efficient. :)

Tinymaple

Jul 29, 2019
Why does Magnetostatic Engine not retain the liquid nitrogen? Considering it have a tank to store up the nitrogen, but breaking it would lose all the nitrogen. Is there a reason for it?

I was expecting it to retain the nitrogen inside during transportation like how real world machines would retain their coolant inside.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe breaking it disrupts the tank, exposing it to outside heat, making the liquid nitrogen boil into uselessness? If memory serves, the boiling point of liquid nitrogen is somewhere around 77 Kelvin. For reference, room temperature is around 295 Kelvin. Its boiling point is closer to absolute zero than it is to room temperature, that's why it requires so much pressure to keep it in a liquid state. If I remember correctly, the only thing worse than this in terms of pressure required to maintain it is liquid helium.

[ETA]

Also, do I just load the depleted pellets directly into a railgun, or am I to craft it into railgun ammo? If its the latter, then NEI isn't showing how I can do that...

Reactions: Tinymaple

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
its really the lingering radiation effects that are a total game-breaker. (e.g rendering the find-a-new-home achievement less relevant)
Hmm. Reika, how about a "radioactive waste decay speed multiplier" in the config, so we could have waste decay much faster?

A containment for the really long lasting stuff; a wait for the short-lived stuff. Would that be acceptable?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hmm. Reika, how about a "radioactive waste decay speed multiplier" in the config, so we could have waste decay much faster?

A containment for the really long lasting stuff; a wait for the short-lived stuff. Would that be acceptable?
Would this be applicable to just regular waste, or to meltdown messes?

I don't actually mind the regular waste since you can theoretically do neat things with it, I'm more interested in letting people play with reactors without having to restore backups.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Would this be applicable to just regular waste, or to meltdown messes?

I don't actually mind the regular waste since you can theoretically do neat things with it, I'm more interested in letting people play with reactors without having to restore backups.

I thought that was part of the challenge of the mod, high gains for high risk...

imPlayin

Jul 29, 2019
My Spawner Controller only works when I'm nearby even though it's chunkloaded (in a mystcraft void age using a chickenchunks chunkloader)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
My Spawner Controller only works when I'm nearby even though it's chunkloaded (in a mystcraft void age using a chickenchunks chunkloader)

I noticed that too! I have high speed being pumped into 4 spawners, but only the edge one works when I'm outside the room. I have to be in range for it to run at all. v6f

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I thought that was part of the challenge of the mod, high gains for high risk...
See my comments about other types of packs and other types of players. This appeals to you; it doesn't appeal to everybody.

I'm looking for a change that has zero impact on you but brings more players to the table.

If you like restoring backups and moving your base or building your reactors in other dimensions, etc, etc, that's fine. The config I'm seeking is very reasonable: let players make mistakes INSIDE the game and give them the ability to LEARN from it inside the game.

Ideally the ability to remove all negative consequences period would be ideal for particularly casual players but I'd be delighted to settle for the ability to watch your reactor melt down, go fix it, and try again.

Reactions: Boundary