Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
@Ieldra, I don't know what mod you've been playing, but mass lube production can easily be done using nothing but RotaryCraft. It has facilities for farm automation (some of the best this side of Better Chests) as well as crop growth acceleration. With a big enough farm and enough power, producing mass amounts of lubricant in relatively short order is totally doable and perhaps even before you're able to produce jet fuel in useable quantities, if you're clever.

Kotaro

Jul 29, 2019
Sprinklers, fertilizers, and fans. Those are by far the best tools you can have to make an insane amount of canola in a short amount of time. Especially when you factor in cross mod effects, such as apatite and bees, setting up the initial farm is, in my opinion, a necessary part of the tech tree you need to go through. It's hardly double standard when RoC has some of the fastest farms you can make.

Plus, oceans of lube would let you skip that phase entirely. And if you can make one world of lube, you can make multiple.

Huh, could you imagine a mystcraft ocean full of jet fuel? And combine that with the flint and steel conversation earlier..

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that the ocean of jet fuel would be so expensive, instability wise, as to be a death world.

Dirty lubricant? Now, that's an idea. What would be the appropriate machine to filter/purify the dirty lubricant?

---

Even with the fluids blacklisted from Mystcraft, what about RfTools? Those dimensions all have a power cost, rather than a magic instability factor. If, for example, the only source of power in a pack is RotoryCraft, then the power cost to maintain an RfDim with lubricant lakes could compare to the power cost to run a grinder; or, the power cost to maintain an RfDim with lubricant oceans might compare to the power cost to run a large farm and multiple grinders. And, if it's "dirty", and has to be filtered, there's still a logistics factor of the piping and filtering.

Using the "factor of 4" engine chaining rule, it's possible to set the power levels so that, for example, you can't do an ocean of jet fuel without first having a jet engine. So, while you could get lakes of jet fuel for less, you could not get the oceans without having some jet production (two jet engines together).

In other words, the costs can be set so that you need some first, and then get lots. Kinda like the magneto tiering.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Keep in mind that the ocean of jet fuel would be so expensive, instability wise, as to be a death world.

Dirty lubricant? Now, that's an idea. What would be the appropriate machine to filter/purify the dirty lubricant?

---

Even with the fluids blacklisted from Mystcraft, what about RfTools? Those dimensions all have a power cost, rather than a magic instability factor. If, for example, the only source of power in a pack is RotoryCraft, then the power cost to maintain an RfDim with lubricant lakes could compare to the power cost to run a grinder; or, the power cost to maintain an RfDim with lubricant oceans might compare to the power cost to run a large farm and multiple grinders. And, if it's "dirty", and has to be filtered, there's still a logistics factor of the piping and filtering.

Using the "factor of 4" engine chaining rule, it's possible to set the power levels so that, for example, you can't do an ocean of jet fuel without first having a jet engine. So, while you could get lakes of jet fuel for less, you could not get the oceans without having some jet production (two jet engines together).

In other words, the costs can be set so that you need some first, and then get lots. Kinda like the magneto tiering.
RF is trivial to generate in massive amounts, and can be done with no RC hardware at all.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Ieldra, I don't know what mod you've been playing, but mass lube production can easily be done using nothing but RotaryCraft. It has facilities for farm automation (some of the best this side of Better Chests) as well as crop growth acceleration. With a big enough farm and enough power, producing mass amounts of lubricant in relatively short order is totally doable and perhaps even before you're able to produce jet fuel in useable quantities, if you're clever.
Have you ever run several HP turbines (I'm told LP turbines are even worse, but I never used them)? They redefine what "mass production" means. I agree that getting enough lubricant for anything else is easy with RoC-only resources. Do you know one of Reika's old videos where he shows off an insanely overpowered farm using mechanics from several mods (Dartcraft's time torches among them). That's approximately the level of required production I'm talking about when you get to the fusion reactor and the set of turbines it can power. I guess you could make a slower farm 25 chunks big instead, but where's the fun in that?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Sprinklers, fertilizers, and fans. Those are by far the best tools you can have to make an insane amount of canola in a short amount of time. Especially when you factor in cross mod effects, such as apatite and bees, setting up the initial farm is, in my opinion, a necessary part of the tech tree you need to go through. It's hardly double standard when RoC has some of the fastest farms you can make.

Plus, oceans of lube would let you skip that phase entirely. And if you can make one world of lube, you can make multiple.

Huh, could you imagine a mystcraft ocean full of jet fuel? And combine that with the flint and steel conversation earlier..
I would draw the line at oceans of jet fuel. Even without flint and steel in your hand ;)

As for the fastest farms you can make: three HP turbines require approximately two buckets of lubricant per second (!). You need two grinders running at 4MW each to process the canola seeds fast enough - which is not hard to achieve, but getting that many seeds in a short enough time, that's a different story, to say nothing of the fact that all those flying entities cause fps lag like nothing else. If not anything else, it's extremely inconvenient, and I have my doubts about being able to do this with RoC-only resources.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
You could use one of Reika's other mods, ChromatiCraft, to accelerate crops, as well, I believe. Also, you can put the seed husks you get from grinding into a centrifuge for a little extra lube. It'd be difficult, but I highly doubt Reika would've made it impossible. Else, what's the point in having a reactor?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You could use one of Reika's other mods, ChromatiCraft, to accelerate crops, as well, I believe. Also, you can put the seed husks you get from grinding into a centrifuge for a little extra lube. It'd be difficult, but I highly doubt Reika would've made it impossible. Else, what's the point in having a reactor?
I have no doubt I could solve that problem one way or the other. However, the one time I did this with other mods, the result was that I looked at my ridiculously overpowered build where I could see plants grow and be harvested in a second, and thought "I don't want this". The rest of my fusion reactor was fascinating, if not always free of frustration, to build, and I got a real sense of achievement out of it. The farm was different. I guess it's a matter of style. In a setup that at least makes a token nod to realism - and sometimes more than that - this farm looked and felt decidedly alien. Yes, I think that lies at the root of my dissatisfaction with the lubricant requirements of the HP turbine.

However, I also think my point still stands: the "ocean of lubricant" is not enough of a balance issue to justify limitations on mod synergy. As opposed to an ocean of jet fuel. Or tritium (which is technically a fluid in the MC world).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
However, I also think my point still stands: the "ocean of lubricant" is not enough of a balance issue to justify limitations on mod synergy. As opposed to an ocean of jet fuel. Or tritium (which is technically a fluid in the MC world).
+1.

At this point of the mod progression, an ocean of lubricant is an interesting alternate approach. Not everyone wants to make spammy, laggy mega-farms. You lose little or nothing in RoC lore by doing it this way, and add variety.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If you're willing to go outside of RotaryCraft to get your lube on, you could also make oil fabricators from MFR and turn that oil into lube using the RoC liquid distillery, I think it is, at a 2:1 oil-to-lube ratio. Less logistics required to work it, but a significant amount of RF would be required to create the oil in significant quantities at sufficient speed, thus providing a fairly even trade-off.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you're willing to go outside of RotaryCraft to get your lube on, you could also make oil fabricators from MFR and turn that oil into lube using the RoC liquid distillery, I think it is, at a 2:1 oil-to-lube ratio. Less logistics required to work it, but a significant amount of RF would be required to create the oil in significant quantities at sufficient speed, thus providing a fairly even trade-off.
I almost prefer this solution. I'm fond of alternative routes to an objective, but this one lets you tinker with a little-used ROC toy.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I didn't think of that. That's actually a rather acceptable workaround since it would circumvent my main problem, i.e. the OP farm. Heh, and it would also make the new power conversion rate work in my favor. Export shaft power to MFR, create the oil, export it back into RoC and turn it into lubricant. I'll look into that.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Could we be able to configure the spawner controller when it isn't powered? Try setting one to 0 delay by accident with a few megawatts ands trying to reach it while it's ON to change the setting.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's kind of hilarious that a comment about bikini wrestling spawned a big discussion about balance issues, cross mod interactivity, and work arounds using seldom used blocks to actually do it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Could we be able to configure the spawner controller when it isn't powered? Try setting one to 0 delay by accident with a few megawatts ands trying to reach it while it's ON to change the setting.
No, because when it is unpowered, its minimum delay is infinity.

you could also make oil fabricators from MFR and turn that oil into lube using the RoC liquid distillery, I think it is, at a 2:1 oil-to-lube ratio.
1:6, actually.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
No, because when it is unpowered, its minimum delay is infinity.

How about the default setting for the speed is the minimum it can go (ie: fastest by default). Or alternatively, if disabled while powered, let us edit the value. It's hard to change these while under attack.