Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
If I want to design a balanced pack using good game design principals, then simply shifting the entry gate to RoC doesn't help: the extractor HAS to be later than wussier ore multipliers from IndustrialCraft.

You are correct in noticing that the crafting recipe for the extractor is very simple: some steel, wood, and netherack. However this doesn't mean it will be efficient to run without proper infrastructure to run a micro turbine. Hand mining with unenchanted vanilla tools can easily out produce an under powered extractor.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I do not really see this as being meaningful.
I take issue with blanket statements such as "doing X is easy". I "meaningfully" corrected the statement while also establishing a reasonable (and popular) scenario where configurability is net-beneficial.

See, now this is something I am willing to consider and accept input on. Remember, all my rules are concerned with things like removing a machine or adding an alternate recipe for tungsten.
I can't compute any scenario where this is more beneficial to you than simply announcing that peeps can minetweak your work as much as they like and you don't care. I don't really have any clever ideas that aren't absolutely horrible for you to implement with significantly more gain than above. That said I'll keep my ear on the conversation in case anything comes of it.

You are correct in noticing that the crafting recipe for the extractor is very simple: some steel, wood, and netherack. However this doesn't mean it will be efficient to run without proper infrastructure to run a micro turbine. Hand mining with unenchanted vanilla tools can easily out produce an under powered extractor.
Don't worry, when I refer to the tiering of the extractor I'm not referring only to the resources required to build it. But to address you more fairly, I should have said "sufficient power to run the extractor would have to be gated behind wussier ore-multipliers such as a Gregtech Tier V Macerator if they're in the same pack".

An odd comparison: mining versus ore processing. That said, I'd love to see you back this up with examples or citations: how poorly do I need to run my extractor that it multiplies ore more slowly than I can go and "easily" mine it with an unenchanted diamond pickaxe :)

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
An odd comparison: mining versus ore processing. That said, I'd love to see you back this up with examples or citations: how poorly do I need to run my extractor that it multiplies ore more slowly than I can go and "easily" mine it with an unenchanted diamond pickaxe :)

Sorry for my poor argument structure. I've understood the situation as your assumption that the extractor breaks early game ore processing. All I am saying is it wont and used mining as a time weight comparison.

As for specific data it would be a while to test and collect real data for you. Sounds like a fun experiment to run.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I can't compute any scenario where this is more beneficial to you than simply announcing that peeps can minetweak your work as much as they like and you don't care. I don't really have any clever ideas that aren't absolutely horrible for you to implement with significantly more gain than above.
As most of my other such options show, I prefer native support over third-party support.

Valve

Jul 29, 2019
Weird problem appear just about while ago.
I have fusion reactor running smoothly and 2 highpressure turbines running smooth and steady. I cut one out for while and when I put steam line back to turbine, it shows outputting 8,590GW like other, but dynamometer shows only ~5GW, torque jumping between 31,000 to 44,000. Steam line show that there is ~11k m3 steam inside that block before entering turbine.
Dynamometer is next to turbine, then bevel gears and world rift.
Is there something wrong with my setup or what?

// Edit,
Screenshot:
http://s15.postimg.org/8n086s9wb/2015_04_21_01_00_29.png

Last edited:

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The one thing that I would really like to see is something along the lines of a minetweaker for Rotarycraft.
You could add recipes for other items from other mods/vanilla. I would love to be able to add recipes for things that are for a blast furnace ect.
You could add recipes to rotarycraft's production machines, but not take them away.
However it is done, it would be fantastic.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Sorry for my poor argument structure. I've understood the situation as your assumption that the extractor breaks early game ore processing. All I am saying is it wont and used mining as a time weight comparison.

As for specific data it would be a while to test and collect real data for you. Sounds like a fun experiment to run.

Why sorry? I thought it was neato.

However don't say that it "won't" because it already does.

The critical factor is what mods are working together. I generally cite GT because its a large and complex mod that uses a virtually identical gating system to RoC (and even some of the same gating materials amusingly). In the case of GT, it has ore processing which is far more difficult to build but produces far less output. There's nothing wrong with that at all except when both mods are in the same pack. In that instance, people would skip every single GT ore processing machine. They'd probably start with an RoC grinder and quickly upgrade to the extractor.

An ideal scenario has the player using all these machines, either for different purposes (which is still a tiny bit viable btw due to by-products) or at different gameplay eras. As it stands however, a bunch of machines would be in the pack that nobody would have decent reason to use.

Valve

Jul 29, 2019
Weird problem appear just about while ago.
I have fusion reactor running smoothly and 2 highpressure turbines running smooth and steady. I cut one out for while and when I put steam line back to turbine, it shows outputting 8,590GW like other, but dynamometer shows only ~5GW, torque jumping between 31,000 to 44,000. Steam line show that there is ~11k m3 steam inside that block before entering turbine.
Dynamometer is next to turbine, then bevel gears and world rift.
Is there something wrong with my setup or what?

Solved myself. Somehow high-pressure turbines was damaged.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Your reply here doesn't seem to directly connect to the quote you used from me, just FYI. But since you say "easily": that's a relative term that I dispute in principal, but rather than bitch about semantics, I think I can make a much more clear point. As easy as you think it is to incorporate RoC into any balanced, high-difficulty pack, its much easier to do so with any of the following:
  • Gregtech
  • Big Reactors
  • Galacticraft
  • Industrialcraft
  • Extra Utilities
  • Ender IO
  • Applied Energistics 2
  • Forestry
  • Buildcraft
  • ProjectRed
  • RailCraft
  • Refined Relocation
  • PneumaticCraft
  • Gravisuite
Here I can make Big Reactors produce a tiny fraction of their default output (since they're safe and easy to assemble). I can make "passively cooled" reactors middle-tier tech. I can alter the recipe of the turbines so that "actively cooled" reactors are later-game tech. I have all these amazing configuration/tweaking abilities and I have never, ever once heard of a single player complaining to E.Beef about a single change.

If I want to design a balanced pack using good game design principals, then simply shifting the entry gate to RoC doesn't help: the extractor HAS to be later than wussier ore multipliers from IndustrialCraft. The boring machine HAS to be later than wussier quarries like the BC version. Otherwise nobody would ever use those inferior machines. And if I simply push RoC to require some later-tier GT tech, then suddenly your low-tech blocks such as the fermenter are also pushed into late-tech. That's not fun for anybody. Btw, I'm not sure what our friend Demosthenex pulled off with his pack (I'm sure its awesome) but I'm certain he didn't pull that off.

...My universe is clearly more pleasant than yours.

PS: I chuckled at your odd pack examples with machine-spawning mob-farms.

I really do understand your point, that balancing mods is hard with RoC. I'd argue that the reason is that unlike other mods with tiers, RoC grows exponentially in power. It's hard to change that, without totally disrupting the progression. As a result, I agree with Reika that you shouldn't change it.

As to how I did things on our hard pack, I started out with a very hard world. Finite water, big bad stupid mobs, and then to prohibit progression I nerfed the world gen. We have half to one quarter of vanilla oregen. Iron is RARE. Even when you start auto-mining, your return is much much less. Early duplication (Tinkers, AE grinder) are vital! Reika added Reactorcraft oregen controls too, and we're at 10%... So overall the whole world is slowed.

That said, once you start having surplus power and boring machines, you can reach endgame easily enough.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I was just totally surprised by my enrichment centrifuge returning thorium... Does this work now? I thought we got that from another source, like centrifuging dirt or something.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I just reviewed items on the Github issue tracker. OH MY GOD, I'm so sorry you wade through this kind of bullshit. I'm glad there are some volunteers to help, but people wonder why I have so little hope for the human race.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I really do understand your point, that balancing mods is hard with RoC. I'd argue that the reason is that unlike other mods with tiers, RoC grows exponentially in power. It's hard to change that, without totally disrupting the progression. As a result, I agree with Reika that you shouldn't change it.

As to how I did things on our hard pack, I started out with a very hard world. Finite water, big bad stupid mobs, and then to prohibit progression I nerfed the world gen. We have half to one quarter of vanilla oregen. Iron is RARE. Even when you start auto-mining, your return is much much less. Early duplication (Tinkers, AE grinder) are vital! Reika added Reactorcraft oregen controls too, and we're at 10%... So overall the whole world is slowed.

That said, once you start having surplus power and boring machines, you can reach endgame easily enough.
I respect that you are able to make this work for you. I think the things you did to make the RoC mods work for you were very clever. The great upshot is that we can still build packs that work well for players of your type.

Sadly it still means we may never be able to incorporate the mod into packs that suit players of my type.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I just reviewed items on the Github issue tracker. OH MY GOD, I'm so sorry you wade through this kind of bullshit. I'm glad there are some volunteers to help, but people wonder why I have so little hope for the human race.
This is why I'm always so amazed and happy Reika still interacts so deeply with the community. I guess the good people out weigh the bad, at least hopefully.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Just a generic complaint (not RoC specific)...

I keep finding that by the time I'm getting mid to late game and I want to really start playing with my big RoC toys, my base FPS is so terrible I almost can't stand to play. It is very disappointing.

If only we could backport the rendering occlusion code from 1.8, where blocks that AREN'T visible aren't rendered....

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Conflicting information.
Uh... no it's not? I'm saying that "Breakable tools" are swiftly going out of style, because nearly every mod has some method of making tools no longer break (under normal conditions. You can still overwhelm a lot of repair methods if you try). Or I'm totally missing your point, which is entirely possible because you saying that has me very puzzled.

TomeWyrm, what on earth are you talking about. How can you say that the unbreakable tools are the point of RoC when so many players want to nerf/remove them? Your point is already 100% disproven. There's no logical argument to that, period.
No I mean they're the original point of the mod. At least the unbreakable part. I dunno about the baked in special effects and when they entered the picture. "I want unbreakable tools" was literally the thought that started Reika on the path to RotaryCraft. So it's quite logical to say they're "the point". Maybe not of including it in a pack, but certainly of the mods very existence.

As for why I include it?
The unique (and really not that hard to grasp) power system.
The ability to turn most every process up to 11. I ain't got time to wait 20 real minutes Factorization!
Useful tedium-reducing tools that don't break. Yes I still manually mine stuff and chop trees. So a good unbreakable silk touch pick is quite useful even at the late point I would get it with RoC. My workhorse is probably actually Botania in my pack, but that doesn't mean I would never use the bedrock pick either.
Being totally feature-complete for a tech mod. It has an answer for most of the common things people do in tech mods. Mob farms, crop farms, tree farms, auto-mining, smelting, etc. One of the only mods I've seen lately that does similar levels of "I can do everything" is EnderIO.
The only non-frame endless tunnel bore miner that doesn't run at a pace that could be beat by molasses in the arctic in February and require some form of item return from the "bore head" (railcraft tunnel bore is slow as sin and requires you to get the items to some central location. Steve's Carts requires the cart to come back to base... but it gets about as close as one can to workable). Sorry the point of auto-mining for me is AUTOMATIC. Moving quarries gets absurdly boring after a while.
A well-thought-out progression system.
Ok, ok. The extractor too :p

Unbelievably, they are all real.
Yep. Meet DartCraft loot bags, and Lucky Blocks (just off the top of my head). Scary but true.

That having been said, Reika. Your minetweaker ban does preclude people from being able to do things like the original idea behind Crash Landing's "tech gating" where the various "machine frame/basic circuit" items were interchangeable. It's only possible to gate other mods into RoC's progression, not shunt parts of RoC's further back. Which is the point Pyure was trying to make (I think). You always have to warp other mods to fit. Which is aggravating for a certain type of non-HQM pack.

Now for me? My pack creation style is "leave mods as untouched as possible, but include as much cross-mod compatibility as I can". Give TC4 aspects to everything, make all the alloys producible in the Alloy Furnace and Induction Smelter (though I wouldn't do the RoC alloys. Most of them are gating materials, and can be done better/easier with the actual mechanic anyway), try and make sure all the plants can be dealt with by all the farming methods, like MFR planters/harvesters TC golems and the like, you get the drift. Which leaves you open to progress down basically any mods you choose and not be locked out of the rest of the content until you plod through all the stuff like a total newbie. Sometimes you don't want to build a dynamo, leadstone fluxducts, a pulverizer, redstone furnace, induction smelter, magma crucible, and liquid transposer just to get a piece of enderium when you've already got the equivalent machines from EnderIO (not all of them have counterpoints in EIO, but you get the gist), ya know?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Please fix v19 and update it.

Oh ... I don't know where to start.

A person that says "I don't know how to update to a newer version of a mod", wants to use a modpack because it just works, wants you to release a fixed version, that apparently should magically appear in the modpack, but won't regard 25z as that fixed v19?

How can you say that the unbreakable tools are the point of RoC when so many players want to nerf/remove them?
For the fun of it, nothing beats the axe.
For balance, I'd love to see it somehow only chop a single tree. Even if you can't tell where a tree ends, you can at least tell when you've gone too far into the next one.

But nothing, NOTHING, compares to using one of those in the twilight forest. Ka-BLAM!. :)

Good discussion on unbreakable tools versus an economy btw. Fifteen years ago this exact discussion had me and three other programmers at each other's throats trying to streamline an RPG design. Your general view prevailed.

I learned it while playing Puzzle Pirates. I can say many things about it, but it boils down to: In the old versions, it was an economy simulation game disguised as a pirate game with puzzles to run your ships. In the newer versions ... the economy was ruined, and I stopped playing. It did not help that as I learned more about the game, I realized more and more that ship design was hopelessly broken, the devs didn't want to fix it ("it's good enough"), and attempting to play solo was effectively punished -- and I did not have a schedule that was reliable enough to let me play with others.

I started that back in 2004, so that was about 11 years ago

I see little point in arguing over the tools. RoC machines scale so huge that by the time you can get the bedrock tools, you'll never use them.

Oh, I think the axe just because, the pick because you will want to explore places other than where the borer has dug a tunnel for you, and the sword if you don't have TiC.

Now that I think about it, I've never used the shovel (it does exist, right?), and I don't even know if there is a hoe.

Hey, sounds familiar.

My jampack entry is finite water, nerfed _OVERWORLD_ gen, reduced TF gen, and stuff you need in the nether and in other dimensions. If I can get COFHCore to be happy with realistic water, then mystcraft ages that want to hurt you, but will get you going, and RoC powering RfDims for your ores.

My plan for my real 1.7.10 world is reduced (50%) starting world gen, and mystcraft and rfdims for resources. But none of those dimensions will have everything.

Yea, vanilla over-supplies ores. With vanilla, it's easy to just mine more. When you can't just mine all you want, when you have to actually ... _SEARCH_ for ores, things change.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
My jampack entry is finite water, nerfed _OVERWORLD_ gen, reduced TF gen, and stuff you need in the nether and in other dimensions. If I can get COFHCore to be happy with realistic water, then mystcraft ages that want to hurt you, but will get you going, and RoC powering RfDims for your ores.

My plan for my real 1.7.10 world is reduced (50%) starting world gen, and mystcraft and rfdims for resources. But none of those dimensions will have everything.

I make a custom modpack for our server only... Historically much of the magic was server side. Servers and dimensions do NOT get along. I pregen everything so there is no chunk generation lag. Imagine being in that world of rare resources, and you can't leave.

I think we're the only server to host finite water and Reika's mods still, which totally changes the game dynamic.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Servers and dimensions ... have gotten along for me, just fine, in 147.

... But then, 147 had a 30 second time out; 1710 seems to have a 15-20 second timeout, and I trigger that on new dimensions, and teleports to new chunks.

====

A question on the borer. I use COG to generate ores. I am using another mod which is dependent on COG to detect when a chunk is fully decorated. Because of how vanilla does chunk decorations, a chunk is not actually "finished" with decorations until all of the neighbor chunks are done, and we found some odd edge cases with trees that require a radius of two chunks. COG has no problem with that -- it will happily wait until two chunks around have generated before running.

If we can solve that tree oddball case (I got a new beta tonight that should deal with it), then it can go down to a one-chunk radius, but there's no way it can go to zero -- a chunk will get decorations from neighbors, and this mod has to know when a chunk is fully decorated, so COG doesn't run to place ores in a chunk until after nearby chunks have been generated and decorated.

Which brings up my request: When the borer wants to generate a new chunk, can we have an option to force it to generate chunks in a specified radius?