Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
To help fix mods that require a neighboring chunks to be generated to get their worldgen correct? I mean that was in the post, wasn't it?

Reactions: Pyure

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I just reviewed items on the Github issue tracker. OH MY GOD, I'm so sorry you wade through this kind of bullshit. I'm glad there are some volunteers to help, but people wonder why I have so little hope for the human race.
Yeah. These people are just broken.
drdreforgotaboutme said:
Help file, again ... wrong in events around very. Game. A lot barrel mall MAKING whos game, nail: I kill monsters because I of such, sometimes die. I year know you to be busy with make to healthy herbal medicine in serious motion, however it it is a very imperfect. Text here capture interval occurs.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So I think we discussed a feature request before, regarding having blocks that measured throughput like the Dynameter does but for other values.

Would it be difficult to make a block to log steam throughput? Perhaps upgrade the Dynameter to support right clicking with the transducer to get 1/5/10 minute averages?

Food for thought.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So I think we discussed a feature request before, regarding having blocks that measured throughput like the Dynameter does but for other values.

Would it be difficult to make a block to log steam throughput? Perhaps upgrade the Dynameter to support right clicking with the transducer to get 1/5/10 minute averages?

Food for thought.
My guess is that it would be easy enough to code but it might not be as informative as you'd imagine. My guess :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Even a Dynameter for steam would be enough...
I'm thinking the problem is that steam doesn't flow unidirectionally like you picture it. It equalizes, which means you'll have steam going in all directions (including "backwards" towards original source sometimes)

I need to go look at his steam pump code sometime. I've always wondered what he did there; I would have been tempted to leverage the equalization code by creating a "vacuum" , a negative number for steam to equalize into.

I've mentioned this before, but you can calculate any steam metrics you like by draining all steam into a single pipe and measuring that and timing the processes. You've come up with some weird ways of trying to calculate steam performance but none of them really beat the simplicity of "how much steam does this reactor produce over X time"

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking the problem is that steam doesn't flow unidirectionally like you picture it. It equalizes, which means you'll have steam going in all directions (including "backwards" towards original source sometimes)

I need to go look at his steam pump code sometime. I've always wondered what he did there; I would have been tempted to leverage the equalization code by creating a "vacuum" , a negative number for steam to equalize into.

I've mentioned this before, but you can calculate any steam metrics you like by draining all steam into a single pipe and measuring that and timing the processes. You've come up with some weird ways of trying to calculate steam performance but none of them really beat the simplicity of "how much steam does this reactor produce over X time"

That's what I'm doing. I use a powered steam pump as a one way value to allow me to measure output over time. Typically I break and replace the output pipe from the pump, and then check it after 60 seconds to compute the output.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That's what I'm doing. I use a powered steam pump as a one way value to allow me to measure output over time. Typically I break and replace the output pipe from the pump, and then check it after 60 seconds to compute the output.
Ok, I thought you'd given up on that since you were asking for the steam dynamometer. Btw just to be clear, I think that's a great idea, I just have a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't work as well as one would hope.

Your pump check will garner more precise results the longer you let a sample run. 60 seconds may not be ideal for precision. Personally I'd do a full reactor cycle (one pellet in each core). Then you can include "steam per pellet" as a metric :)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I thought you'd given up on that since you were asking for the steam dynamometer. Btw just to be clear, I think that's a great idea, I just have a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't work as well as one would hope.

Your pump check will garner more precise results the longer you let a sample run. 60 seconds may not be ideal for precision. Personally I'd do a full reactor cycle (one pellet in each core). Then you can include "steam per pellet" as a metric :)

I just wanted an approximation based on a simple unit that you could tie to the turbine usage (20/sec for regular, 160/sec for HP). I'm doing this manually atm, but plugging in a steam meter after the pump would accomplish the same result ideally.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose I can add that, but why would you want to?

To help fix mods that require a neighboring chunks to be generated to get their worldgen correct? I mean that was in the post, wasn't it?

Exactly.

Here's where I'm at, at the moment, if you're interested:
1. Harder Wildlife wants 2 or more chunks to catch all trees properly (NB: May be a now-fixed bug, may be able to drop down to 1)
2. Mystcraft wants no more than 1 to profile age instability properly.
3. UBC wants no more than 1 to convert ores to stone-colored ores.
4. Rotarycraft's borer seems to assume a chunk is fully loaded with ores when decorated (but even vanilla can spread ores in from an adjacent chunk, or coal from 2 chunks away) (and I hope I've made an error here)
5. Forge has an event for post-world gen, supposedly post-decoration, but it apparently fires as the last step of doing chunk A without regard to nearby chunks generating things (so it seems to be effectively a range 0 chunk equivalent)
6. Vanilla mineshafts can generate and decorate into chunks at a pretty good distance away, higher than any of those numbers.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly.

1. Harder Wildlife wants 2 or more chunks to catch all trees properly (NB: May be a now-fixed bug, may be able to drop down to 1)
4. Rotarycraft's borer seems to assume a chunk is fully loaded with ores when decorated (but even vanilla can spread ores in from an adjacent chunk, or coal from 2 chunks away) (and I hope I've made an error here)
5. Forge has an event for post-world gen, supposedly post-decoration, but it apparently fires as the last step of doing chunk A without regard to nearby chunks generating things (so it seems to be effectively a range 0 chunk equivalent)
6. Vanilla mineshafts can generate and decorate into chunks at a pretty good distance away, higher than any of those numbers.

I've had many issues with chunk generation, but never one due to RoC. I actually appreciated that the bore only did one chunk at a time, it was light on the server.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Exactly.

I can add a config.

Reactions: TomeWyrm

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019

Simple solution. This steam gauge could be a steam consumer and producer, where it consumes from 1 side, and produces on the other. This is probably roughly how the pump works. Just add some sort of method for counting the steam, and voila. Steam Gauge:)

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Simple solution. This steam gauge could be a steam consumer and producer, where it consumes from 1 side, and produces on the other. This is probably roughly how the pump works. Just add some sort of method for counting the steam, and voila. Steam Gauge:)
For a brief second I thought you were nuts until it occurred to me it made sense, because the pump does have an actual output side.

Then it further occurred to me that Reika could do a much easier version of this idea by simply making the existing steam pump track how much steam it has "processed", possibly with a redstone-pulsed reset to avoid adding a GUI. @Reika?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
For a brief second I thought you were nuts until it occurred to me it made sense, because the pump does have an actual output side.

Then it further occurred to me that Reika could do a much easier version of this idea by simply making the existing steam pump track how much steam it has "processed", possibly with a redstone-pulsed reset to avoid adding a GUI. @Reika?

Or just track a simple moving average and print it when queried with the transducer.