Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't really have any specific ideas for this, but I've always felt the borer needed to provided some sort of feedback on its torque requirements.

As a simplest solution, I wonder if it would be sensible if the borer had a gui or mouseover tooltip that indicated the amount of torque being used to cut each slice.

That number would be all over the map since the borer proceeds quickly, but would visually provide an "average torque per slice" to the user, as well as give the user an idea of why its stuck since you'd hear the grinding noise and see a "2048 torque" flashing while it goes nowhere.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't really have any specific ideas for this, but I've always felt the borer needed to provided some sort of feedback on its torque requirements.
I just realized how stupid this sounds. The borer already provides "some" feedback via sound and particles.

I should have said "more" feedback. Currently player's trial-and-error it, but they might get a better understanding of what's going on and why given some numbers.

Reactions: gallowglass

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I just realized how stupid this sounds. The borer already provides "some" feedback via sound and particles.

I should have said "more" feedback. Currently player's trial-and-error it, but they might get a better understanding of what's going on and why given some numbers.

How about simply placing a red X in the GUI corresponding to where the lack of torque occurs (or begins)?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Another potential bug: I'm using comparators on reservoirs to trigger actions on circuits (ie: reservoir is low, turn on grinder circuit). I've consistently observed where the comparator output isn't updated to reflect the state of the reservoir until I mouse over it with WAILA or right click to see contents. Somehow the reservoir is not updating it's state in regard to the comparator.

It also appears the fluid compression chamber doesn't work with comparators, which isn't such a huge problem because I can cache the quantity to detect in reservoirs, but I have to be able to rely on the reservoir updating it's signals (ie: out of water, emergency SCRAM).

Ok, so Reika says it is a block update issue. His reservoirs don't force an update to keep the lag down, so vanilla redstone doesn't always update immediately.

Buildcraft gates DO WORK against the reservoirs, and I can use them for wiring the signals too with structural pipe and pipe wire, so that's a great fix. They also work with the fluid compression chamber, which is even better!

I use two gates on a cluster of reservoirs, one indicates when the level drops under 25%, the other when the level is full. These signals feed into an RS Latch from Project Red though vanilla latches work fine too. I use that signal to control engines or relays to initiate the production of the resources (ie: water, jet fuel, lube). Thus I only use energy to create the fluid in the tank when it is low, and then stop when it fills. Think of it like high and low watermark queuing.

SKuzmecov

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with this, so here it is. Feel free to suggest anything reasonable in terms of content additions or modifications.

Under no circumstances am I obligated to include anything suggested on this thread.
If I do reject your idea, I will explain my reasons for doing so, but do not get aggressive or pushy.

Notes:
  • While you may also suggest content removal, such suggestions are extremely unlikely to get approval unless they fix major problems.
  • Suggestions which go against the four main tenets of the RC mod design - realism, extremely powerful endgame, advanced rendering, and learning over grinding - are almost certainly going to be flatly rejected without very good justification. Again, however, you will be informed of this.
  • If you see a suggestion you like, use the 'like' feature of the forum, as an impromptu voting system.
Hello Reika,
I would like to get permission to use of your spendthrifts including - Dragon API, ChromatiCraft, RotaryCraft, in my All world now Hardcore [HQM].

Thanks you.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Sneak peek:

Code:
  //613K at 14MPa to 373K at 0.1MPa
   private static int calculateConversionRatio() { //Moran & Shapiro
     double nuReact = 0.01272;
     double nuSATP = 1.696;
     return (int)Math.ceil(nuSATP/nuReact); //134
   }

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Sneak peek:

Code:
  //613K at 14MPa to 373K at 0.1MPa
   private static int calculateConversionRatio() { //Moran & Shapiro
     double nuReact = 0.01272;
     double nuSATP = 1.696;
     return (int)Math.ceil(nuSATP/nuReact); //134
   }
Looked up the names, some thermodynamical effect?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Looked up the names, some thermodynamical effect?
Sneak peek 2:
zsKpcTm.png

Reactions: CapJackH

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Darn, that's what I thought. I saw the textbook come up, and I could try and understand with the basic thermodynamics I know, but can't even figure it out :p

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'm guessing it's some kind of heat exchanger or something that converts heat to/from some other form of energy. A thermopile, maybe?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Is it a condenser? That would explain the steam lines, but not why you'd boil water just to condense it again.

Unless... is it some kind of steam-based heater? So you can power your furnaces without coal or a turbine, I guess?