Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. Ok. Would the type of Linux matter?
Let me cite from the OpenComputers MCF thread:
This mod uses a native library (included in the ZIP, you don't have to do anything). If you're running Minecraft on something exotic (read: Windows XP or older, PowerPC Mac or Solaris), the mod will enter a 'fallback mode' using LuaJ. In this mode computers will not persist, and memory use will not be limited. But as mentioned above, it is enough for the host to run on a supported platform.

Why a native library, when Java is such a beautifully cross-platform (as if) programming language? It's for the Lua state persistence. All Java implementations of Lua I'm aware of use Java threads to implement Lua's coroutines. Meaning there's no just way they could be persisted. But that's very much a core feature of this mod, so I saw no other way than going deep. It's just one little shared library, containing Lua plus Eris (the persistence library), and the JNLua wrapper. All of those are open source, too. Feel free to inspect the sources.

Just to make sure, this applies only to OC as it uses a native library, RotaryCraft doesn't and will work on all MineCraft OSes.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Let me cite from the OpenComputers MCF thread:
This mod uses a native library (included in the ZIP, you don't have to do anything). If you're running Minecraft on something exotic (read: Windows XP or older, PowerPC Mac or Solaris), the mod will enter a 'fallback mode' using LuaJ. In this mode computers will not persist, and memory use will not be limited. But as mentioned above, it is enough for the host to run on a supported platform.

Why a native library, when Java is such a beautifully cross-platform (as if) programming language? It's for the Lua state persistence. All Java implementations of Lua I'm aware of use Java threads to implement Lua's coroutines. Meaning there's no just way they could be persisted. But that's very much a core feature of this mod, so I saw no other way than going deep. It's just one little shared library, containing Lua plus Eris (the persistence library), and the JNLua wrapper. All of those are open source, too. Feel free to inspect the sources.

Just to make sure, this applies only to OC as it uses a native library, RotaryCraft doesn't and will work on all MineCraft OSes.
Ok. I was running Xp before and saw no problems, so I should be ok.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I assume you mean copying the NBT data. That would probably just crash.
No not necessarily. When a device right clicks on a machine certain parts of the NBT Data could be sent into a method which can be carried on and transferred via clicking and sending data to that machine via a method.

This might also be time consuming depending on how you set up your block classes.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
(I thought I had already posted this, but could not find it.)

Idea for an early game power generator. Uses two farm animals; cows would produce the largest amount of power, but other animals (pigs, dogs) could be used instead. (Q: Could extras of the smaller animals work?). Always generates vertical shaft power. Animation: Animals walking around the shaft. Would probably require a 3x3 space, two leads, and some wood. Low rads, high torque (bigger animals = more torque; rotation speed would probably not change much from animal to animal), can be made from wood without falling apart rapidly.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No not necessarily. When a device right clicks on a machine certain parts of the NBT Data could be sent into a method which can be carried on and transferred via clicking and sending data to that machine via a method.

This might also be time consuming depending on how you set up your block classes.
I could make a "CopiableMachine" interface to get an NBT tag with certain fields on it, then just call readFromNBT from that tag. The problem is, is it useful enough to merit this?

Also, this would only be able to copy NBT-able data; more advanced data, like terraformer regions, could not be saved.

(I thought I had already posted this, but could not find it.)

Idea for an early game power generator. Uses two farm animals; cows would produce the largest amount of power, but other animals (pigs, dogs) could be used instead. (Q: Could extras of the smaller animals work?). Always generates vertical shaft power. Animation: Animals walking around the shaft. Would probably require a 3x3 space, two leads, and some wood. Low rads, high torque (bigger animals = more torque; rotation speed would probably not change much from animal to animal), can be made from wood without falling apart rapidly.
Suggested many, many times, including on the my main thread - that you read.

It is not technically possible to do, and it would not be useful ingame, as the generated power would be minimal.

Sonylisation

Jul 29, 2019
Im not sure if this is already implemented or discussed before, but is it possible to add a machine or gearbox that takes two or more inputs and creates one single output so that two weaker engines can combine their torque somewhat? And if you turn this gearbox around you'll have two outputs, capable of powering two fans using one strong engine or coil, maybe.

What about a Coil-powered rifle using flint, maybe only in conjunction with Mo' mobs or any other dangerous mobs-mods ?
I know rifles aren't very well-liked in minecraft due to the overpowered nature of them against normal mobs. So dont hate too much :D

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Im not sure if this is already implemented or discussed before, but is it possible to add a machine or gearbox that takes two or more inputs and creates one single output so that two weaker engines can combine their torque somewhat? And if you turn this gearbox around you'll have two outputs, capable of powering two fans using one strong engine or coil, maybe.

That already exists. It is called a shaft junction I believe.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
What about a Coil-powered rifle using flint, maybe only in conjunction with Mo' mobs or any other dangerous mobs-mods ?
I know rifles aren't very well-liked in minecraft due to the overpowered nature of them against normal mobs. So dont hate too much :D
That also exists. It is called the gravel gun. Please check the tutorials before posting.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There is also another issue - this is going to be a nightmare to work out how to select which model (of 4) to use and how to rotate it based on the settings.
One option obviously is to rock the closed hub model idea, but I can absolutely understand that this is unappealing to you.

Unfortunately though it would be an example of how presentation takes precedence over gameplay experience.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

You trolling? What next you are going to suggest a water wheel like engine that produces massive torque but isn't very fast and output is determined by how far the water flows...

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
He/she might be new to RotaryCraft, we all were once. Maybe they don't have NEI and haven't watched any tutorials yet.
Yes that is a possibility, but both of the suggestions where suspiciously close to things that are already in the mod. That and before suggesting things one should be sure that they have explored every facet of the service/ product they are making the suggestion for. What the user I commented was doing was suggesting that Coke add fizz to the drink... It boggles the mind how such a suggestion could be made seriously.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Yes that is a possibility, but both of the suggestions where suspiciously close to things that are already in the mod. That and before suggesting things one should be sure that they have explored every facet of the service/ product they are making the suggestion for. What the user I commented was doing was suggesting that Coke add fizz to the drink... It boggles the mind how such a suggestion could be made seriously.
I once thought that Industrialcraft should add some sort of flight item. Without seeing the jetpack. So, it can happen.

Reactions: Pyure and Padfoote

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I once thought that Industrialcraft should add some sort of flight item. Without seeing the jetpack. So, it can happen.
Yeah but you said some sort of flight item not "Make a jetpack you have to fuel with compressed liquified coal fuel and you could even have one fueled by EU".
Unless gravel guns are more of a no brainer idea then I first realized. It wasn't just the gravel gun it was the suggestion of the "shaft junction" too. Both the suggestions are things already in the game.
Maybe I'm wrong but it looked sus.