Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
@keybounce
TFC uses something rather like a cloud distribution for its ores. It makes mining out the entirety of a vein a rather time consuming task... especially with how long it takes to mine out stone and such in TFC. It's pretty easy to get MOST of a vein via relatively easy heuristics (I simply mine out all 6 adjacent blocks to every ore that I mine. It ends up exposing a lot of ore... I'm half tempted to just make a giant empty cube because MUST GET ALL ORE! Though a simple multi-level spiral mine would accomplish the same goal and use a LOT less durability)

At least veins give you the rarity of finding an ore with manual mining, and then a relatively easy time of getting the however-many-it-is ore blocks.

Incidentally what the Thermal Expansion's coremod's world generation section lets you do is... well... here's the default config file for it in 1.7.10. <deleted>

It also lets you add more things as ore, and I'm pretty sure change the distribution type and number of ore in a vein, but what most people used it for is changing the height at which ores spawn (and occasionally the amounts). Which eliminates the vanilla "drop down to level 10-15 and mine in straight line to infinity".

The problem is, it's still "Every chunk looks basically the same". Every chunk has so many plops of a given ore. Those are not veins.

Veins ... imagine an iron vein that is 1-2 blocks wide, 60 blocks long, running into a D=7 ball with two more veins running off of it. And that's an average size one. 100-120 blocks in length from end to end. Not common, but if you explore caves or ravines, you'll see a block or two of exposed iron, and then you just follow it.

Vanilla style plops (needs a better name) are basically "Dig anywhere, it's there". Even reducing things to one larger plop per chunk still means "Just dig around".

Something that shows up about once every 25-75 chunks, that has to be found by intelligent looking? Your clues are:
1. Most likely in a small vertical range,
2. Most likely in a frozen biome

Up through 1.6.4, that was good enough.

A COG cloud is ... very, very rare. The main cloud itself might be spread across 8-12 chunks (D=3 to D=4, roughly); "hint" singletons can be found for a radius of about 100 or so blocks. You find the hints while exploring, and use that to try to find the core. These might be every 250-400 chunks.

(TFC: The Full Conversion mod? :)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Something that shows up about once every 25-75 chunks, that has to be found by intelligent looking? Your clues are:
Java people, is this a good first mod? I'm rather experienced with Python but never even looked at java code.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The problem is, it's still "Every chunk looks basically the same". Every chunk has so many plops of a given ore. Those are not veins.

Veins ... imagine an iron vein that is 1-2 blocks wide, 60 blocks long, running into a D=7 ball with two more veins running off of it. And that's an average size one. 100-120 blocks in length from end to end. Not common, but if you explore caves or ravines, you'll see a block or two of exposed iron, and then you just follow it.

Vanilla style plops (needs a better name) are basically "Dig anywhere, it's there". Even reducing things to one larger plop per chunk still means "Just dig around".

Up through 1.6.4, that was good enough.

A COG cloud is ... very, very rare. The main cloud itself might be spread across 8-12 chunks (D=3 to D=4, roughly); "hint" singletons can be found for a radius of about 100 or so blocks. You find the hints while exploring, and use that to try to find the core. These might be every 250-400 chunks.

(TFC: The Full Conversion mod? :)
Now I want to try vein-generated ores. It completely eliminates the random of mining. :)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It also completely requires the ability to do prospecting. If you can't just dig and find what you're looking for, then you need tools to help you make informed decisions about where to dig.

Terrafirmacraft really has this down to an art. It has rare, giant veins of a multitude of different ores, only a small number of which is relevant to the player at any given time; and it gives the player a single, simple tool that reports rough estimates of ore presence in the surrounding 25x25x25 cube. Not where it is, but just whether something is there or not (barring false negatives). You can use that information however you want, and there are some ways to do it wrong, some ways to do it reasonably well, and some ways which will let an experienced player hit the motherlode reliably with just a handful of measurements. It's completely reliant on player skill. A secondary factor in this is that certain ores only spawn in certain stone types and at certain depths, which lets the player make even better decisions when they take the trouble to remember what is to be found where.

However, as said above, TFC is a total conversion mod. There's only so much you can change about the way Minecraft is played before you stray into areas where it isn't really Minecraft as you know it anymore. TFC is that kind of thing, intentionally; but if you're not intending that, then it's probably best to be careful about where you're headed.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
It will need to have a thorough mention in the book, even if it's adding some vein-style ores while just down-scaling the current ore distribution.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
It will need to have a thorough mention in the book, even if it's adding some vein-style ores while just down-scaling the current ore distribution.
Or make it an independent mod because we both KNOW somebody will say something along the lines of "ZOMG reika sux hes badd cuz therez none iron orez in mine world!!!1!1"

That hurt to type.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Warning: TFC isn't complete yet. There's a robust (ish) system in place dealing with food, animals (livestock and wild), worldgen, decoration, and crafting. But it VERY swiftly devolves into "I've got Red/Blue steel everything... what do I do now?"

It's a survival mod, and like all survival games, it's got scarcity and post-scarcity "sections" and the post-scarcity section is severely lacking in TFC. Getting better mind you, but still lacking. It's fun to add new mods into the mix but the editing required to make them fit into TFC is a royal pain. Thaumcraft for instance is very fun, but takes lots of creative solution-finding and a bunch of minetweaker-ing to work. Or you can simply enable the vanilla recipes in the config... but that strikes me as more against the spirit of the mod than messing with the mods you're adding to it. There's nearly always a central mod for a pack, and if any of them are "Public Utility" (Thanks CovertJaguar. That is actually a really useful term) or Total Conversions, then you really ought to be molding the other mods to fit the design of the "main" mod(s) in your pack.

You might also like Better Than Wolves, Reika. It's a lot more engineer-y than TFC, but it's also a total conversion mod... just don't read the forums unless you need a guide, and don't talk to FlowerChild (the author) with ideas. They make Gregtech's community and GregoriousT look like the cliche'd pot-smoking free-love 1970's American Hippie from what I've heard. Greg and his community have some issues; FlowerChild is the original MC drama queen. He might have mellowed over time... but I doubt it.

Bioxx and Dunk (The main dev pair for TFC) are the only total conversion modders I know that are friendly to suggestions and interact with the community positively.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You might also like Better Than Wolves, Reika. It's a lot more engineer-y than TFC, but it's also a total conversion mod... just don't read the forums unless you need a guide, and don't talk to FlowerChild (the author) with ideas. They make Gregtech's community and GregoriousT look like the cliche'd pot-smoking free-love 1970's American Hippie from what I've heard. Greg and his community have some issues; FlowerChild is the original MC drama queen. He might have mellowed over time... but I doubt it.

I'm a member of that community and have had several conversations with FC. He's not a bad guy, and him (and his community) are especially not as bad as you claim.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm...whaddya think, as a place to start for my mod, of scalable conveyor belts? Their speed is dependent on the speed going to the conveyor motor, and they can transport items, mobs, and players. Kind of like a cool factory thing where, instead of watching items whiz about in various tubes, you can watch them zip around in conveyors.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm...whaddya think, as a place to start for my mod, of scalable conveyor belts? Their speed is dependent on the speed going to the conveyor motor, and they can transport items, mobs, and players. Kind of like a cool factory thing where, instead of watching items whiz about in various tubes, you can watch them zip around in conveyors.
Why don't you set up a thread or convo for this so we don't continue to clutter this up? ;)

Reactions: Padfoote