Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

C

Cellular

I think you can cycle the hot fuel like you do sodium for the LMFBR. You've also got to consider that the LFTR is naturally very safe, if not logistically easy to run; were it much more powerful, it'd easily overtake anything outside the tokamak due to said inherent safety and the fact one can use boilers directly and thru heat exchangers. If nothing else, from a game balance perspective, it makes sense for the LFTR to have reduced output when compared to either the standard fission reactor or a LMFBR.

When I said lackluster I meant more along the lines of not being too interesting compared to the real thorium concept. I can understand that it isn't that powerful, however I think if it were more powerful it's cost to construct it would justify the output in the end . They require emeralds right? Not that those are too hard, but things could be added to make it a wee bit harder to give reason to added power.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
True, but I think the amount of fuel that gets converted to waste is fairly small, assuming one cycles it properly. I highly doubt Reika would force users to replenish a rare, hard-to-find resource at all regularly. He ain't Greg.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Poking through the github, I'm not sure how it expends LiFBe short of an emergency fuel dump. The reactor core itself uses the same CYCLE_AMOUNT variable for both cold-LiFBe in and hot-LiFBe out, while the heat exchanger converts COOL_AMOUNT for both input and output. Waste creation doesn't affect the fuel tanks at all. Maybe I'm missing something, and I don't think Reika compiles directly from GitHub code, so maybe it's just hidden !!fun!!, but I think you could run a closed loop for quite some time.

Except for the neutron flux source (edit: and Thorium/Fluorite. Tons of thorium/fluorite), of course.

That said, I've had trouble getting them up to temperature even in creative, so can't really say for sure.

If you're running ChromatiCraft, look at some of the Drying Bed recipes. Even without other mods involved like AgriCrops, the ecosystem's probably assuming that these materials are available around "Silk Touch"-tier rather than "giant villager farm"-tier, and that mostly because Liquid Chroma is hella-expensive before you get a few Zambaru Crystals.

Last edited:
C

Cellular

Poking through the github, I'm not sure how it expends LiFBe short of an emergency fuel dump. The reactor core itself uses the same CYCLE_AMOUNT variable for both cold-LiFBe in and hot-LiFBe out, while the heat exchanger converts COOL_AMOUNT for both input and output. Waste creation doesn't affect the fuel tanks at all. Maybe I'm missing something, and I don't think Reika compiles directly from GitHub code, so maybe it's just hidden !!fun!!, but I think you could run a closed loop for quite some time.

Except for the neutron flux source (edit: and Thorium/Fluorite. Tons of thorium/fluorite), of course.

That said, I've had trouble getting them up to temperature even in creative, so can't really say for sure.

If you're running ChromatiCraft, look at some of the Drying Bed recipes. Even without other mods involved like AgriCrops, the ecosystem's probably assuming that these materials are available around "Silk Touch"-tier rather than "giant villager farm"-tier, and that mostly because Liquid Chroma is hella-expensive before you get a few Zambaru Crystals.

Yea they are kind of hard to get to temp. And you can't just fire a ton of neutrons at them because if it's too hot it's not fertile. You have to find a 'frequency' that is *just right*

C

Cellular

Oh yea just remembered, whoever said some jokes about Gregtech is wrong. People think Gregtech sacrifices fun for realism, but that's not true because the mod is so damn far from realistic, Chris Kyle couldn't put his crosshair on it

[EDIT]

With his scope on 20 power...
also, is greg on this forum?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That was me, and that was not what I meant. I meant that Greg sacrifices fun for grind and microcrafting; ain't got shit to do with realism.

C

Cellular

That was me, and that was not what I meant. I meant that Greg sacrifices fun for grind and microcrafting; ain't got shit to do with realism.

It was rubyheart "rotarycraft: gregtech mode", which I thought was kind of stupid to say, given the fact that a super or turbo charger wouldn't be like adding rust or repair as the two would add power. I also thought the general thought trend was that he sacrificed fun for realism, guess not.
[EDIT]

I think he was talking about reika's zero sum comment about adding rust and weardown

C

Cellular

Reika, not sure how rare you want pitchblend to be. It's pretty easy to get right now, is that intentional? (twilight forest, deep dark, mushroom biomes)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Considering how much one needs to run a decent reactor, methinks this is intentional. Lets you go lnger between mining trips, assuming you don't have a way to make uranium renewable on hand.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Considering how much one needs to run a decent reactor, methinks this is intentional. Lets you go lnger between mining trips, assuming you don't have a way to make uranium renewable on hand.
Oddly enough, I've never done two mining trips for reactorcraft. Its common for me to do a single trip with, say, a tinker's hammer in Twilight Forest, and live off the proceeds until I get bored of a world. Theoretically it would be enough to power myself through fusion.

Maybe your reactors are a lot bigger with much bigger power demands than mine :)

(Also i've been known to make breeder reactors which substantially extend your fuel resources, but these aren't at all appealing if fuel is overly abundant. My 0.02)

C

Cellular

Oddly enough, I've never done two mining trips for reactorcraft. Its common for me to do a single trip with, say, a tinker's hammer in Twilight Forest, and live off the proceeds until I get bored of a world. Theoretically it would be enough to power myself through fusion.

Maybe your reactors are a lot bigger with much bigger power demands than mine :)

(Also i've been known to make breeder reactors which substantially extend your fuel resources, but these aren't at all appealing if fuel is overly abundant. My 0.02)

If you're like me, you have a mass industrial complex fully equipped with extractors that have bedrock drills. You also have a breeder reactor that makes you feel like you don't even need to use the plutonium it's making, because the breeder fuel is a cheap way to get a mass amount of power with your advanced design. Point is, uranium is VERY plentiful if you have something as simple as a quarry, an efficient ore extraction system, and a well designed breeder reactor.

[EDIT]

Breeders are still appealing to me because I suck all the heat I can out of them to make a good amount of power, so plutonium production is slow because the reactor cores aren't up to temp; thus the fuel lasts a long time and still makes as much as a regular reactor. If I need a lot of power, plutonium always cuts it because of its sheer potency. Plutonium is also fun to deal with as you need to be careful with how you set up your reactor. I always make plutonium bake the shit out of adjacent cores and extract all the heat by making the boilers larger on the Y axis, but not extending the cores with them.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I typically use a breeder reactor just to make tritium. Sodium being a much more efficient coolant than water allows me to integrate many more irradiation chambers into a breeder than a standard fission one.

C

Cellular

I typically use a breeder reactor just to make tritium. Sodium being a much more efficient coolant than water allows me to integrate many more irradiation chambers into a breeder than a standard fission one.

Yes, and even go a step further by using sodium and then ammonia as the heat exchange coolant.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yo, Reika, getting a crash that seems to be related to DAPI's hooking into the fire spread event. (log) I'm mostly just kinda...existing in Aroma's Mining World, digging about. I have CC structures enabled for other dimensions, if that helps.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yo, Reika, getting a crash that seems to be related to DAPI's hooking into the fire spread event. (log) I'm mostly just kinda...existing in Aroma's Mining World, digging about. I have CC structures enabled for other dimensions, if that helps.
This is the grass spread event, and has never happened for me. Does it only happen in the mining world?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Thus far, aye. Its not happened in the Overworld, hell, the End, or any of my RFTools dimensions. Maybe an Aroma derp that's hiding behind the scenes, triggering this?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, nix'ing the admin anchor near the stargate seems to have fixed it. Think I'll stick to ChickenChunks, for now. Thankee!

L

lieronet

Hey Reika, just started really messing around with Electricraft lately and I'm really enjoying it. I gotta say, though, it's really strange/annoying that you can't place Relays and Resistors vertically. Is this a feature you would consider adding?