Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
There's actually a supercharger for the turbine engine (doubles torque, makes it slurp up even more fuel than normal, lights everything on fire), although it's more useful for making noise than production. And there's the Performance Engine upgrade mechanic, though most overlook it and just craft the engines from the ground up (at the cost of significantly more aluminium).

Bigger problem is that it won't really /help much/ with the lower-tier engines. Doubling the output of a DC engine would take it from range 8 to range 9 when running a fan, and move slightly more items when plugged into an Item Pump. One could probably avoid busting tiers by making an AC Engine upgrade available only with Sintered Tungsten and Inductive Alloy, but you'd have to quadruple the output of the machine for even a gang of four such engines to compare to a single microturbine. Not only would they still be incapable of running a Bedrock Breaker with normal shaft junctions, it'd also take a diamond gearbox to downshift that power into anything useful in terms making a single machine go fast.

Maybe it'd be more relevant for splitting power down, such as that theoretical 1024Nm@512rad/s AC+ engine splitting to power four grinders at 1024 Rad/s. But even there the load limits kill you for a lot of stuff: trying to put four centrifuges onto such a power bar would either require a ton of diamond to run them at 131kRad/s. Throttling down to Steel would only let you run them at 32kRad/s, which you can do with by splitting a *normal* 131kw AC engine.

There's a surprising amount of uses for the lower-tier engines as it is, though. DC Engines for farms/item transport/fermenting, Steam for water pumps and to power AC magnetizers or fermenters, Gas Engines either upgraded to Performance or on-demand grinding, AC engines where you want relatively low-maintenance high-speed power, and that's just the main power tier system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reika
C

Cellular

If by supercharger you mean afterburner? Does that qualify as the same thing? I thought an afterburner was basically just fuel dumping into the combustion chamber and ofc I could be wrong, let me know. As for the reasoning, I think I might fail to understand. Do you mean that it would be more efficient in the long run to use late tier engines if the upgrades for the lower tier engines are so expensive (use of tungsten to keep the upgrades gated)?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
An after burner is dumping fuel into the exhaust to provide additional thrust. A supercharger usually compresses additional oxygen to provide a boost to the combustion in the chamber.

C

Cellular

An after burner is dumping fuel into the exhaust to provide additional thrust. A supercharger usually compresses additional oxygen to provide a boost to the combustion in the chamber.

Yes that's the def. of supercharger I knew. And I guess I was wrong about dumping into the chamber, apparently it's the exhaust which actually makes more sense to me.

On the game implementations, some of the physics that would be fun to play with are things like the advantages of superchargers over turbochargers and vice-versa. It could require experimentation before you have the right idea of which one to use in a certain situation.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Upgrades would completely wreck the tiering system and offer little practical benefit nor be very realistic. As it is the afterburner upgrade requires the handwave of a secondary nozzle turbine (which realistically would melt in minutes).

C

Cellular

Upgrades would completely wreck the tiering system and offer little practical benefit nor be very realistic. As it is the afterburner upgrade requires the handwave of a secondary nozzle turbine (which realistically would melt in minutes).

yes
but they would be realistic.. I think there are a LOT of engines that are turbocharged in today's world.

Last edited:

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
Probably it would be more realistic to have a gasoline turbocharged engine block rather than a simple upgrade
It's not that you go on and simply add turbine+compressor to an engine and profit
But i guess two gasoline engines are enough in rotarycraft

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
RoC can be a bit space intensive, but that's just part of the challenge. Do I dedicate an entire room to fast jet fuel production and have to use ender chests/tesseracts, or do I try to cram it in with everything else and transport items and fluids directly?

C

Cellular

Also realistic are friction, cleaning, and part degradation/mechanical wear. None of those make for good gameplay.

Notice that I already understand these things don't make good gameplay. Giving me a list of realistic things that make bad gameplay isn't a way of telling me turbochargers aren't realistic. I told you I understood that this idea would wreck things, but that doesn't make the idea unrealistic as you stated, which was my last point.

C

Cellular

Probably it would be more realistic to have a gasoline turbocharged engine block rather than a simple upgrade
It's not that you go on and simply add turbine+compressor to an engine and profit
But i guess two gasoline engines are enough in rotarycraft

Oh, so what do they do to farm equipment before a tractor pull??

C

Cellular

I want to know where Thorium power is headed. Tell me because I love the Thorium power concept. I feel it could be greatly strengthened within the game.

Last edited:

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Pocket reactors? There's real-world development of 10 to 15 year tiny self-contained reactors that run off of Thorium for rural or hard-to-power areas.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
Oh, so what do they do to farm equipment before a tractor pull??
I don't understand your sentence
Anyways , an engine has to be designed along with it's turbocharger, not as separate things hence a "turbocharger upgrade" , translated "slap the turbine -compressor inside and profit" would be irrealistic

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The whole conversation is a bit silly. Ultimately Reika just doesn't want it in the mod, the rest of the discussion is moot.

Are turbochargers and whatnot realistic? Sure. You can turbocharge just about anything in real life given sufficient ingenuity and lack of regard for efficiency and/or safety.

C

Cellular

I don't understand your sentence
Anyways , an engine has to be designed along with it's turbocharger, not as separate things hence a "turbocharger upgrade" , translated "slap the turbine -compressor inside and profit" would be irrealistic

They turbocharge the hell out of tractors before entering them in a tractor pull contest. You mentioned it would be unrealistic to just slap one on, which is what the contestants do in crazy ways.

C

Cellular

The whole conversation is a bit silly. Ultimately Reika just doesn't want it in the mod, the rest of the discussion is moot.

Are turbochargers and whatnot realistic? Sure. You can turbocharge just about anything in real life given sufficient ingenuity and lack of regard for efficiency and/or safety.

LOL I know. I responded because he posted a zero sum response.

C

Cellular

Pocket reactors? There's real-world development of 10 to 15 year tiny self-contained reactors that run off of Thorium for rural or hard-to-power areas.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I actually meant for reactorcraft. Thorium is included but it's quite lackluster atm.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can cycle the hot fuel like you do sodium for the LMFBR. You've also got to consider that the LFTR is naturally very safe, if not logistically easy to run; were it much more powerful, it'd easily overtake anything outside the tokamak due to said inherent safety and the fact one can use boilers directly and thru heat exchangers. If nothing else, from a game balance perspective, it makes sense for the LFTR to have reduced output when compared to either the standard fission reactor or a LMFBR.