Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Can you combine friction heater + heat lamps on the blast furnace?
Blast furnaces being heated by a friction heater are immune to "ambient" temperatures I believe, but I'm not sure if that means its exclusive to friction heating.
I think whichever of the two is higher will be used, but not both combined. So, if your heat lamp is at 600C and your friction heater is at 1,000C, the blast furnace will be at 1,000C.

I think ...something...required 700C, which I was able to do with 4 steam engines. Don't quote me on this, my memory is hazy.

And yeah, even a single steam engine on a fermenter, geared properly, can execute processes faster than you'll really need.

Off-topic, I'm curious, has anyone ever found a valid use-case for a worm-gear (early game or otherwise?)

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can use them with 4x DC engines to run a grinder, albeit painfully slowly. Also, I think 700C can make spring steel? I'm not certain, don't have Minecraft open, at the mo', so I can't really check.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Don't quote me on this, but I think you can use them with 4x DC engines to run a grinder, albeit painfully slowly. Also, I think 700C can make spring steel? I'm not certain, don't have Minecraft open, at the mo', so I can't really check.

A good idea, but the loss of power using the worm gears will put you under the 4kW requirement of the grinder. You'll need to use a gearbox instead.

The temperature for spring steel is 1150C. I do not know what the absolute minimum amount of power is that you would need, but 4 steam engines (1 gasoline engine) will not cut it. If geared to a perfect 256 rad/s and 256 Nm, it gets you around 800C.

I think ...something...required 700C, which I was able to do with 4 steam engines. Don't quote me on this, my memory is hazy.

You may be thinking of Silicon Powder because that requires 700C. You cannot use steam engines for the crafting of aluminum ingots though since you will need 900C.

Off-topic, I'm curious, has anyone ever found a valid use-case for a worm-gear (early game or otherwise?)

I find it useful for when you want to conserve resources. Since it has no load limit, I once used it in place of a 16 diamond gearbox on a Bedrock Breaker powered by a Gas Turbine. Steel gearboxes cannot handle 16 kNm of torque. The loss of power becomes very noticeable with the high amount of power that the turbine provides, but I had a scarcity of diamonds. The lack of a lube requirement can give it use in early game when you want to gear up torque and you don't have a decent supply of lube or an automated lube-production setup.

I wouldn't advise using it too much. Only use it for like one or two things. You can do a lot of things with Worm Gears with ElectriCraft, but that will consume more resources than it would be worth generally. Ironically, it saves resources but can also use more if you over-utilize it.

Reactions: Pyure

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
It lets a steam engine run a grinder without the need for lubricant.

That's the only use I've found, easiest way I know to just get the ratio needed for a steam engine to grinder, with no maintenance (automated or otherwise) needed.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It dates from when steel was the only type of gearbox. And for 16x, that made early-game far too costly.
This makes sense to me.

For what its worth, I'm noting and generally appreciating a lot of the various tweaks that have been made over the last two years.

ReactorCraft inquiry: Is the "Hot" point of Carbon Dioxide mentioned anywhere in the ReactorCraft handbook? I thought I read it front-to-back but couldn't find it anywhere. Identified the 800C mark through trial and error.
ReactorCraft inquiry: Is "insulation" mentioned in the handbook? I had to dig up this requirement via wikis. I failed to "intuit" this information going by the feedback of the mod itself.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
What can a heat lamp do in the nether? If it just barely gets you up to steel in the overworld, how high does it go in the nether? Or, at the bottom of the world in a Mesa?

(For that matter, bottom of the nether?)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think environmental factors are capped for the blast furnace, or at least don't contribute enough to get you past plain old steel. The heat lamp, in my experience, overrides the temperature of what it touches, unless its at lower than ambient temperature. Afrer, its a heat lamp, not a cooling lamp.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
As I look ahead to progressing into ReactorCraft stuff, does anyone know if Ammonia closed loops are currently reliably self-sustaining?

The last time I played with them, there was some gradual lossiness somewhere and I don't believe Reika was able to track down the culprit at the time.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If memory serves, there are small losses with ammonia, but that's by design. I believe the rationale that there would always end up being a way to generate a positive feedback loop, otherwise. Also, shameless plug, I made a thread for ReC mechanics that you may want to peruse.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I know reika tried to trace the loss at some point and couldn't find it.

By positive feedback, do you mean creating more ammonia than you started with? I coded the bulk of the closed loops for GT5u steam/water cycle, principals the same. Its just math and logic, I don't think this would be the case here.

I'll totally accept though that, even if originally unintentional, its now fixed in design. Its probably more trouble to trace than it is to fix, and I'm pretty sure you can use RoC/ReC/MC to logically activate ammonia-generation machines as necessary.

I do recall when you started your thread. I ultimately decided I lacked the education/intellect to follow some of the math going on (particularly Reika's comments) and stopped following it.
(My math skills include but stop at logarithms. And only because logs are just absolutely insanely useful when designing infinite, self-regulating limits. Great for level-less RPGs and such)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This makes sense to me.

For what its worth, I'm noting and generally appreciating a lot of the various tweaks that have been made over the last two years.

ReactorCraft inquiry: Is the "Hot" point of Carbon Dioxide mentioned anywhere in the ReactorCraft handbook? I thought I read it front-to-back but couldn't find it anywhere. Identified the 800C mark through trial and error.
ReactorCraft inquiry: Is "insulation" mentioned in the handbook? I had to dig up this requirement via wikis. I failed to "intuit" this information going by the feedback of the mod itself.
Insulation is not mentioned because it is expected to be reasoned out by the player.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Insulation is not mentioned because it is expected to be reasoned out by the player.
Thanks Reika. FWIW, this is best handled with feedback to the player. Insulation can be inferred when there's an indication of heat transference.

In other words: The player cannot actually tell as a player that heat loss is occurring, which is logically critical for the reasoning you mentioned.

I have no idea how I'd implement that user feedback.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Perhaps red shaders, so you can visibly see that the block is getting hot. Ala Pneaumaticraft's turbine things that get red on the hot side, and blue on the cold side.

Ammonia would probably be impossible to use losslessly anyway. You'd be losing some to condensation no matter how carefully designed your system.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Perhaps red shaders, so you can visibly see that the block is getting hot. Ala Pneaumaticraft's turbine things that get red on the hot side, and blue on the cold side.
That would be neat, maybe with haze-lines indicating heat transferrence :)

Ammonia would probably be impossible to use losslessly anyway. You'd be losing some to condensation no matter how carefully designed your system.
Agreed except the same would apply to water-steam, which (I thought) was lossless.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
It matters to those people who play on servers where natural water sources are a limited resource, barring it being produced by machines such as the dew point aggregator and the like. But even then, once you figure that machine out, water is a piece of cake.

Pardon for going a little off topic here, but I'm shopping around for a good and active RotC-enabled server. Anyone know of any?