Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'll settle for eagle pate in the meantime.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can anyone talk to me about Jet fuel efficiency in the microturbine vs gas turbine? Am I better off using the gas turbine with an ECU throttle or anything of that sort?

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
The gas turbine has a non-trivial start-up cost, so it's not one of those things that you want to start up and shut down over short intervals. You'll want the gas turbine for bulk jobs that you want done a.) relatively quickly as with, say, a 1-tick ore processing operation or b.) that fill roles that lesser engines cannot cope with. Once it reaches it's maximum RPM, the gas turbine's fuel consumption peaks at ~5340 mB per minute.

The microturbine on the other hand is incredibly fuel efficient, a real fuel sipper for the power you get out of them, at ~250 mB of fuel per minute last time I played; great for tasks that you want to run long term that don't require the speed/power advantages of its larger cousin but still perform better than lesser power trains. Once you get into mass producing jet fuel, they will very quickly become your go to power option of choice. That doesn't mean other engines are rendered completely obsolete by it, mind you; some machines won't take full advantage of the microturbine's power since their output (operations per tick) maxes out well before reaching the microturbine's peak power curve and you'd be wasting fuel to hook one (and only one) of them up to it.

Watt for Watt, the gas turbine (12567 MW per bucket per minute) is more fuel efficient than the microturbine (8388 MW per bucket per minute) but at the same time it has a way of making your fuel reserves disappear in a real hurry.

[edit] Oh, and if you want to get real crazy, the gas turbine also has an afterburner upgrade that increases its power output substantially (doubling its torque) while making your fuel disappear even faster! It's also great for starting nice big fires, over which one can invite friends and relatives for a wiener roast, drinks, and all-round good times! :D

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
As an extra note: once you start reliably feeding a 1-tick fractionator (as in, you can keep it stocked most of the time), running a gas turbine isn't much of a big deal. Just make sure you have a good, large tank or two with jet fuel just in case. Typically, my first few bedrockium drums go towards jet fuel storage.

Oh, and the fractionator can run at multiple operations a tick; a performance engine can get you one, but a microturbine can get you two, and each speed doubling after that gets you an extra operation per tick.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Is there an autocrafting method within RoC? Or will I need an external mod to automate magma creams? Been too long since I've played myself.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
As an extra note: once you start reliably feeding a 1-tick fractionator (as in, you can keep it stocked most of the time), running a gas turbine isn't much of a big deal. Just make sure you have a good, large tank or two with jet fuel just in case. Typically, my first few bedrockium drums go towards jet fuel storage.

Oh, and the fractionator can run at multiple operations a tick; a performance engine can get you one, but a microturbine can get you two, and each speed doubling after that gets you an extra operation per tick.

Keeping it stocked is an issue. I've found the throughput on export buses is not quite enough when it's working at that speed. Especially considering that round-robin mode doesn't seem to be clever enough if the machine ever uses the last ingedient in a slot...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Keeping it stocked is an issue. I've found the throughput on export buses is not quite enough when it's working at that speed. Especially considering that round-robin mode doesn't seem to be clever enough if the machine ever uses the last ingedient in a slot...

Tis why I use a set of ultimate logistical transporters from Mekanism. One pipe can move a stack a second, so put two on an ME interface with the ingredients being exported, and you've got everything you need. Alternatively, you could do what I normally do and setup an ender chest being stocked with two stacks of everything (ensured by TE retrievers) and use pneumatic item pumps going to the fractionator itself, giving said pumps >64kW of power. That'll get them moving more than a stack a tick, which should keep up with microturbine levels of power without much hassle.

Besides, the speed of the machine itself is a huge bonus, even if you can't keep it stocked 24/7. Once you fill your engines and reservoirs, and said engines are operating at peak power, you won't need it running nearly as often or for as long, making stocking the thing less of a problem.

Is there an autocrafting method within RoC? Or will I need an external mod to automate magma creams? Been too long since I've played myself.

Indeed, there is: the auto-crafting machine, as well as crafting patterns. The machines can make anything you can make in a standard crafting table, can be configured to output continuously or on demand/redstone signal, and only require 1kW of power to run, and they run pretty quickly, to boot. The crafting patterns can also be configured for blast furnace and worktable recipes, but note that when placed in said machines (each one has a special slot that can hold one pattern) they will not round-robin ingredients so if, for example, you want to make TRISO fuel, you'll need a starting supply of 4 stacks of graphite and one stack uranium dust.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
As RavynousHunter points out, the auto-crafting machine can handle all of your crafting needs. One thing I might add is that it can handle several jobs in parallel (great for making compressed cobblestone, for example) and is able to keep up with most work orders with only a single steam engine powering it.

That being said, if you have the Roguelike Dungeons installed (great, fun little mod btw), you'll find Magma Cube spawners in the lower dungeon levels that you can grab (with appropriate tools) for easy magma creme production back at your base. Getting down to those lower levels of the dungeon can be a real challenge, however, as the deeper you go, the tougher the enemies get - they start spawning with magically enchanted gear (great source for raw disenchantment material), more spawners per room, etc.. The one minor annoyance when using these Magma Cube spawners is that the mobs they spawn have a chance to drop all that magical gear I mentioned in addition to the magma cremes that you will want. It adds a layer of crap that you need to filter out / dispose of, but I'm not aware of any other mod that provides world-gen Magma Cube spawners like this. They are in any event incredibly useful in a 1-tick jet fuel production chain.

Regarding item transport methods and 1-tick machine methods, I've found that EnderIO conduits with a full set of speed and stack upgrades are able to keep up agreeably. Perhaps not the cheapest option, but their programability was what made them an attractive option to use in the first place and their speed a decidedly winsome bonus in the end. They won't be fast enough individually to keep up with large parallel 1-tick production streams, however; for that, you'll have to learn Reika's item transport methods.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Has anyone been able to get a comparator (vanilla or otherwise) to function properly with an Extractor?

In my testing, its always outputting a signal of 15 regardless of what the extractor contains in its slots. Tried vanilla and project red.

As per this github issue it may be permanently busted.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Actually, disregard. I think I've figured it out.

It would appear that the Extractor has highly unusual comparator support. Intuitively, I would expect a 0-15 signal to be output proportionate to how full its 4 input slots are.

Instead, its outputting a binary signal I believe, based on whether it can do work. Problematically, it reports it cannot do work if it has work to do but the CVTs are currently in the wrong stage phase (e.g., full speed and < 256 torque for instance). As a result, unless you like to always give your extractor 512 torque and 8k speed, the "can work" logic won't always be sensible.

This is a bit unfortunate.

edit: in fact, if the gets shut down with a redstone signal, it cannot start up because it has no power to do anything.

I must be missing something; this can't be how its supposed to work. @Reika, are you able to clarify to Comparator usage?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Actually, disregard. I think I've figured it out.

It would appear that the Extractor has highly unusual comparator support. Intuitively, I would expect a 0-15 signal to be output proportionate to how full its 4 input slots are.

Instead, its outputting a binary signal I believe, based on whether it can do work. Problematically, it reports it cannot do work if it has work to do but the CVTs are currently in the wrong stage phase (e.g., full speed and < 256 torque for instance). As a result, unless you like to always give your extractor 512 torque and 8k speed, the "can work" logic won't always be sensible.

This is a bit unfortunate.

edit: in fact, if the gets shut down with a redstone signal, it cannot start up because it has no power to do anything.

I must be missing something; this can't be how its supposed to work. @Reika, are you able to clarify to Comparator usage?
?