Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
True, but I love the challenge of building rail networks. It just gives the land a sense of being developed, y'know? Also I config'd the jetpacks to use jet fuel instead of ethanol.

Unrelated: I just made my first Gas Turbine in my latest world - the last time I made one was in Monster 1.6.4, so I'd forgotten just how much Jet Fuel it guzzles. :p
That, my friend, is why my first use for jet fuel is always in making the fractionator run at 1 op/tick. Even if you can't keep it fully stocked at all times, the speed with which you make the fuel more than shores up the difference.

Reactions: lucariomaster2

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft jet fuel or Minechem jet fuel? I ask because I have a feeling the two are fundamentally incompatible, if they're different things.
Minechem doesn't jet fuel, what it does theoretically have is the ability to create basically anything from anything. In this case a stream of water would be composed into hydrogen and oxygen which you'd then have to use fission and fusion reactors to split and combine atoms until you get the right atoms needed to create the components for jet fuel, wouldn't be surprised if the process runs at a significant power loss, the fusion reactor is expensive and while the gas turbines can produce a lot of RF.

EDIT: I made a sheet, lets you see how much water/RF it'll cost at different levels. Costs are lower than I predicted, although I did include options so you can change any of the relevant configs which are minechem power multipliers and rotarycraft difficulty value, fusion recipes are probably not optimal, although Hydrogen will be produced as a byproduct but that can just be burnt in a furnace as fuel or whatever you want.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Also chances are Reika would have prevented any interactions from minechem materials.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Minechem doesn't jet fuel, what it does theoretically have is the ability to create basically anything from anything. In this case a stream of water would be composed into hydrogen and oxygen which you'd then have to use fission and fusion reactors to split and combine atoms until you get the right atoms needed to create the components for jet fuel, wouldn't be surprised if the process runs at a significant power loss, the fusion reactor is expensive and while the gas turbines can produce a lot of RF.

EDIT: I made a sheet, lets you see how much water/RF it'll cost at different levels. Costs are lower than I predicted, although I did include options so you can change any of the relevant configs which are minechem power multipliers and rotarycraft difficulty value, fusion recipes are probably not optimal, although Hydrogen will be produced as a byproduct but that can just be burnt in a furnace as fuel or whatever you want.
Is the total RF cost for materials listed there a function of time (as in, RF per second operation, or RF/t) or a function of jet fuel volume produced (as in RF per bucket of jet fuel)? Either way you go, feeding it into a gas turbine would more than double your investment, so you could run it at a net gain of power. Hm...does Minechem add worldgen? Might tack it on when I get home just to see what I can do with it. I remember using it a little in the 1.5 days to make party drugs, especially cocaine, for shits and giggles, but something more substantive would be nice to screw around with.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I once said this about MineChem, and it still is relevant: Melons into diamonds.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Pyure

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Is the total RF cost for materials listed there a function of time (as in, RF per second operation, or RF/t) or a function of jet fuel volume produced (as in RF per bucket of jet fuel)? Either way you go, feeding it into a gas turbine would more than double your investment, so you could run it at a net gain of power. Hm...does Minechem add worldgen? Might tack it on when I get home just to see what I can do with it. I remember using it a little in the 1.5 days to make party drugs, especially cocaine, for shits and giggles, but something more substantive would be nice to screw around with.
RF cost is total per bucket of jet fuel, which is what all the numbers are for. Note that unless you've set it to hard (and I've never actually seen someone set it to non-normal but whatever) you get several buckets of jet fuel per ingredient, meaning you'd require several times the RF as a starting cost, I've just added a second sheet out of curiosity, rounds all the item requirements up to the nearest integer as that's what you'd actually need. Fusion reactors are annoying to build though, large multiblock structure (13x5x13) that several hundred blocks to complete, luckily it's only 1 of 2 custom blocks and they use an in-world blueprint to make it easy, need to decompose a bunch of stuff first though to get things like the lead or beryllium needed to construct them, annoying to automate too, basically just got to play around until you figure out the sidedness and how to get IO working.

Minechem does technically add worldgen, it adds uranium ore to the world, however the stuff is basically totally useless as fission reactors stopped needing uranium as fuel years ago leaving it as just a legacy feature, it can be safely disabled or ignored without issue.
I once said this about MineChem, and it still is relevant: Melons into diamonds.
Yeah, diamonds are made of carbon and thus diamonds are actually one of the easiest limited resources to obtain in the mod, as it's much harder to obtain gold or iron elements or whatever than it is to find things containing carbon. One of the issues with them, however diamonds are blacklisted from synthesis by default so that shouldn't really be a concern, along with any ore and dragon eggs. Can still happen with things like diamond dust though.

EDIT:

I am wondering about the throughput of this system- will it keep up with the gas turbine?

It'd depend greatly on how well you designed your system, and if you've altered the power configs. By default Minechem machines are capped at 100RF/t, so something like fusing plutonium atoms has a minimum of 94 ticks just to get the RF in needed to create it, all the rf costs, storages, and transfer speeds are configurable though. I've entertained using it with multipliers in the millions for fusion before, although that was intent to be balanced compared to the GT fusion reactor by cost.

EDIT 2:

Added another option to let you use water buckets instead of fluid water, makes it consume about 5% more RF at the saving of about 95% of the water.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Why are we talking about Minechem here? Knowing Reika, if there was any interactions between the mods he'd nerf it out. Jet fuel production is one of those progression gates Reika protects like a hawk.
However minechem could provide base materials for jet fuel production but so could EE3 or magical crops.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Can I just say that there are easier, cheaper ways to make jet fuel ingredients, many of which are natively supported (and encouraged) within Rotarycraft? Soulsand, for instance, is rather trivial to make using lubricant and sand. Minechem sounds interesting, but for what people are describing, it sounds rather like this method is an exercise in shoehorning a square peg into a round hole.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Minechem would be horribly complex and most of it can be automated with pure vanilla + rotarycraft. The trickiest part would be coal afaik, ethanol, blaze powder, soul sand, and nether rack aren't that complex, and magma cream can have a slime farm involving slime chunks setup. Coal though? Think you'll need some automining for that.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, Minechem would be horribly complex and most of it can be automated with pure vanilla + rotarycraft. The trickiest part would be coal afaik, ethanol, blaze powder, soul sand, and nether rack aren't that complex, and magma cream can have a slime farm involving slime chunks setup. Coal though? Think you'll need some automining for that.
Worth mentioning that RoC has its own automining with the tunnel bore, and that Reika considers the bore to be an important part of progression within the mod itself.

I still like the idea of using Minechem to produce at least some of the ingredients for jet fuel, though. Coal should be one of the simplest ones to produce that way, as it's just carbon, and carbon is easy to get from melons or sugarcane. Blaze powder, if I remember correctly, is pure plutonium, so you'd probably be better off using a spawner in the Nether for that.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Most recently I used tile accelerated ChC item fabricators to produce netherrack, tar sand, slimeballs, silverwood saplings and dirt, agricraft for sugar cane and cinderpearls, and bees for coal. Send those through your preferred method of grinding, crafting and fermenting where necessary and eventually you'll end up with a jet fuel factory. Reika didn't a problem with any of that.

The max throughput of said factory is pretty ridiculous, makes enough to fuel like 200 gas turbines simultaneously if I did my math right.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Totally forgot about that, so that makes every component automatable then, maybe with the exception of ghast tears but with a sufficiently large platform and a powerful enough set of turrets and item vacuums that should even be possible too. You only need ghast tears on hard mode anyway.