Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Of course! But, if you know how to turn logarithmic formulae into exponential formulae, then things get closer to regular algebra which even the standard Windows calculator can handle. I think the conversion is... (using a normal base-10 logarithm, RoC uses base-2)

log x = 15 -> 10^15 = x -> x = 10,000,000,000,000,000

Raise the base of the logarithm to the power of the right-hand side of the equation. One of the things I learned in my college algebra class, lol.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
My point is, if we're taking the mod to the extreme, then we should take the calculator there too. ;)

Plus, it'd be a good side project for me for when I end up quitting WoW.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
However, the torque affects the amount of water produced per operation. This goes up to I think 2 buckets per operation, allowing for a total of 2 buckets per tick or 40 buckets per second. So, quite different, but it's also not like many of the other machines where you simply try to get them to 1 operation per tick.

128kmB/cycle.

This kinda stuff is very cool, would love to know the rules for all the machines.

I use my head and scratch paper.

I use my finger nail when I want to scratch something, please be careful

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I use WAILA and creative mode. Place a creative coil, then adjust until it goes to .05s per operation.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Mostly I am trying to setup the extractor for now, I have managed to figure out a setup using 4 hydrokinetics, a shaft junction, 3x 16:1 diamond gearboxes & 2x extractors - it worked well but I can seem to extract the results of each stage except the final stage - I have tried several methods, ender io conduits, routers, itemducts, etc.
Might've been my fault. A while ago I posted a setup involving routers that could do continuous 1-tick extraction on exactly 17MW. Reika saw it and decided to nerf it.

Fine lets look at getting bedrock, reading the wiki it says 4x hydrokinetics -> 8:1 gearbox -> bedrock breaker, this doesn't seem to be the answer anymore, my 4x hydrokinetic's only generate 2mW not the required 4mW, ok, I will add 4 more - right can't chain more than 4, no problem lets connect more via a shaft junction, that exploded quickly. Note to self - RTFM (properly this time)!
You'll need a couple microturbines, some jet fuel and a lot of gearing. Keep in mind that microturbines do not consume very much fuel, and the fractionation unit makes load of fuel, so don't worry about setting up loads of infrastructure for fuel generation if you only want a little bedrock dust to start off with. Just get a pile of the appropriate things by hand to make a batch of jet fuel (like a stack of each) and you should be able to run a bedrock breaker for several hours.

A couple of other questions, using the heater with the blast furnace & trying to maintain a heat 0f 950C is a little more challenging than setting 950C & moving on? Not just me right, it fluctuates as each fuel item is consumed & the high point is not always consistent so it ends up cooking 1 maybe 2 items on the cooldown phase - is that correct?
Although logically to properly heat-treat steel you want to keep it at a specific temperature, making steel in a RoC blast furnace only requires the blast furnace be above the required temperature. You can get a blast furnace up to 2000C with enough power through a friction heater, but it won't make shitty steel or overheat the furnace or anything, it instead operates very quickly.

Oh, and early-on, unless you're in a very cold biome, a block of lava is sufficient to run a blast furnace, you don't need to use a heater.

--

So I set up a silver iodide cannon with some sawdust to disable rain and every time it fires, it prints a message to chat (Tried to access Slot -1, which is <0.), and fails to actually consume any sawdust. It does work, however.

I also just attempted to use an autocrafting unit and ended up with a recurring server crash.

Code:
[21:51:48] [Server thread/INFO]: EyeDeck[/127.0.0.1:53987] logged in with entity id 4655 at (-1401.432633730147, 81.0, -552.2988709099211)
[21:51:49] [Server thread/INFO]: EyeDeck joined the game
[21:51:56] [Server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
net.minecraft.util.ReportedException: Ticking block entity
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:642) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:334) ~[lt.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:547) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:427) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:685) [li.class:?]
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: appeng.util.item.AEItemStack.create(Ljava/lang/Object;)Lappeng/util/item/AEItemStack;
    at Reika.DragonAPI.ModInteract.DeepInteract.MESystemReader.removeItem(MESystemReader.java:73) ~[MESystemReader.class:?]
    at Reika.RotaryCraft.TileEntities.Processing.TileEntityAutoCrafter.getAvailableIngredients(TileEntityAutoCrafter.java:231) ~[TileEntityAutoCrafter.class:?]
    at Reika.RotaryCraft.TileEntities.Processing.TileEntityAutoCrafter.tryCrafting(TileEntityAutoCrafter.java:205) ~[TileEntityAutoCrafter.class:?]
    at Reika.RotaryCraft.TileEntities.Processing.TileEntityAutoCrafter.attemptSlotCrafting(TileEntityAutoCrafter.java:184) ~[TileEntityAutoCrafter.class:?]
    at Reika.RotaryCraft.TileEntities.Processing.TileEntityAutoCrafter.attemptAllSlotCrafting(TileEntityAutoCrafter.java:173) ~[TileEntityAutoCrafter.class:?]
    at Reika.RotaryCraft.TileEntities.Processing.TileEntityAutoCrafter.updateEntity(TileEntityAutoCrafter.java:81) ~[TileEntityAutoCrafter.class:?]
    at Reika.DragonAPI.Base.TileEntityBase.func_145845_h(TileEntityBase.java:392) ~[TileEntityBase.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1939) ~[ahb.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:489) ~[mt.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:636) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
    ... 4 more
[21:51:56] [Server thread/ERROR]: This crash report has been saved to: C:\minecrap\1.7.10-IDEK-I\.\crash-reports\crash-2015-05-31_21.51.56-server.txt
[21:51:56] [Server thread/INFO]: Stopping server

I was trying to figure out how to use the autocrafter, so I had in its first three slots a crafting table, some planks and a pair of iron boots because I hadn't yet realized the patterns for it existed. On top of it was a chest with some planks, logs, and iron ingots. Powering it was a DC engine. I made a pattern, loaded it with a crafting table, and placed the pattern in the autocrafter's first slot, which immediately caused the server to crash, and crash again shortly after the server is launched.

Time to fire up MCEdit...

Nevermind, I see it's a known issue.

Last edited:

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I use WAILA and creative mode. Place a creative coil, then adjust until it goes to .05s per operation.
I prefer the math, honestly. Especially if I know where it is in the code so I can double-check to see if it changed. Waila is horribad derpatron about reporting stuff sometimes. I mean it's a bloody awesome mod, I wouldn't play without it... but I will never-ever rely upon it. Especially with the built-in ability to spoof the data that is being reported because of PvP servers seeing accurate information as being an unfair advantage.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Lovely people in this community:
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/37z143/why_no_rotarycraft/crrni0w?context=3
Reika said:
in part due to...personal traits of mine that make less open-minded people see me as an acceptable target for vitriol
blocksaremylife said:
Ya mean the fact that ya don't show no modesty and go 'round telling everyone how ya wanna get more ass than a toilet seat?

I can hear the accent through his post...and it almost wants to make me make a reply involving his sister and throwing stones in glass houses... :p

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
And you wanted them as separate machines long ago. :p
I still think it makes a lot more sense to make them separate machines. Seriously, you have 4 different functions, and if someone turned in a machine design that required them to all be powered together, I'd probably laugh at them.

It makes as much sense as machines that are able to be designed to use any power source deciding to use human bio-energy as their power source, and then have to raise food to feed the humans to get less fuel out than what was spent to raise the food.

Now, it may very well be excessively easy if you can break them out. Maybe each of the partials if they are broken out should only have a 25-35% increase instead of a 50% increase (but still give you the bonus drops).

Point is, you balanced it (50% per stage / 5 times overall) against a challenge of designing either two separate power systems, switchable, or use of gearing / CVT's ... actually, back when CVT's did not require bedrock.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That's one of the parts where balance trumps realism...like machines suddenly starting to require lubricant or liquid nitrogen, or even switching between them :p

Reactions: Plasmasnake

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I can hear the accent through his post...and it almost wants to make me make a reply involving his sister and throwing stones in glass houses... :p

Hey now, I sound like that, too, and I don't even have a sister.

Its funny because people where I come from swear I sound like I'm from California, yet my girlfriend insists that my Southern accent creeps into, like, damn near everything when I talk.

Boundary

Jul 29, 2019
Might've been my fault. A while ago I posted a setup involving routers that could do continuous 1-tick extraction on exactly 17MW. Reika saw it and decided to nerf it.

You'll need a couple microturbines, some jet fuel and a lot of gearing. Keep in mind that microturbines do not consume very much fuel, and the fractionation unit makes load of fuel, so don't worry about setting up loads of infrastructure for fuel generation if you only want a little bedrock dust to start off with. Just get a pile of the appropriate things by hand to make a batch of jet fuel (like a stack of each) and you should be able to run a bedrock breaker for several hours.
Ahhh, so it was your fault! :D Thanks for the additional info regarding the microturbines & the fuel consumption vs. production, that's actually very helpful.

Although logically to properly heat-treat steel you want to keep it at a specific temperature, making steel in a RoC blast furnace only requires the blast furnace be above the required temperature. You can get a blast furnace up to 2000C with enough power through a friction heater, but it won't make shitty steel or overheat the furnace or anything, it instead operates very quickly.

Oh, and early-on, unless you're in a very cold biome, a block of lava is sufficient to run a blast furnace, you don't need to use a heater.
I was using the blast furnace with a lava block (plains biome) which works fine for HSLA, I was trying to make spring steel which needed 950C & the heater seems to explode at 1000C, inputting 950C in the GUI gives varied results as fuel is consumed as mentioned. I was aware of the friction heater but since I didn't have anything that could run the speeds required for 950C so I put it too the side & later read about keeping torque & rads close to equal for best performance, is that still a thing? I will give it a try now with a little more knowledge - thanks again :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I was aware of the friction heater but since I didn't have anything that could run the speeds required for 950C

Performance engine can hit 1002°C when geared correctly.

I put it too the side & later read about keeping torque & rads close to equal for best performance, is that still a thing?
This is still a thing. Don't worry- its not as intimidating as it sounds.
(Speed/Torque)/2= gear ratio needed to match.
If torque has a higher value than speed then use (Torque/Speed)/2.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Another way to get to bedrock-melting with the blast furnace:

2x AC Engine thru a 2:1 diamond gearbox set for speed. Results in 1002C temperature, and only fluctuates by, at most, 2C.

The best part? Mine can't explode and has an easy off switch. :D

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Its funny because people where I come from swear I sound like I'm from California, yet my girlfriend insists that my Southern accent creeps into, like, damn near everything when I talk.
Welcome to accents! Get someone born and raised in the Great Plains or Pacific Northwest to tell you if you have an accent. They're the two closest to "General American" we really have. Ask any voice coach that deals with accents for actors and such, half the beginning tutoring is getting RID of your accent if you're from California, the Southwest, the South, the Northeast... or basically anywhere that isn't Idaho, Washington, Oregon, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Kansas. Then you get to learn how to apply a new accent on top of what is the actual blank slate they deviate from.

The really hilarious thing is that I use all kinds of southern slang (Y'all is a word, darnit), and the furthest south I've ever lived is 44° N, and I have clear diction, good enunciation, and just about the most neutral American accent you can manage.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hey now, I sound like that, too, and I don't even have a sister.

I meant more along the lines of "homophobic, ignorant, and speaks with a southern accent even in text? Probably this guy". :p

Another way to get to bedrock-melting with the blast furnace:

2x AC Engine thru a 2:1 diamond gearbox set for speed. Results in 1002C temperature, and only fluctuates by, at most, 2C.

The best part? Mine can't explode and has an easy off switch. :D
v7 changes that.