Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So there's a "boosted" version of the bedrock armor with jetpack? "Fin cooled", and "thrust boosted"? How does one upgrade a bedrock jetpack? NEI isn't showing.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! Looks like v5 just arrived (console spam FTW!).

Looking at the release notes, it said cooling fins no longer work on performance engines? Playing with finite water, that concerns me. Steam was completely out of the question this time, and using gas engines required only a little water for fermentation. Actively cooling them may be an issue. Perhaps I'll need to use massive rain water collection in the early game again.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I have a rare complaint. The marque scrolling by to say mods are out of date is so very annoying. The login spam is one thing, but I have 20 fps in the overworld outside my base with that marquee going. Inside my base my fps was already low, and now it's almost unplayable.

On a server, '/checker' is disabled along with any other command not explicitly enabled for unprivileged players.

Yes I know out of date mods are a support issue. Yes I intend to upgrade my whole client base shortly. I just really don't like that marquee. I think it's going to generate more complaints than support requests it saves.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ok, I have a rare complaint. The marque scrolling by to say mods are out of date is so very annoying. The login spam is one thing, but I have 20 fps in the overworld outside my base with that marquee going. Inside my base my fps was already low, and now it's almost unplayable.

On a server, '/checker' is disabled along with any other command not explicitly enabled for unprivileged players.

Yes I know out of date mods are a support issue. Yes I intend to upgrade my whole client base shortly. I just really don't like that marquee. I think it's going to generate more complaints than support requests it saves.
The command being admin-only was a bug, fixed in v5c. Also, as of v5, only you as the pack maker should see it, and there is a config to turn it off, so long as you are not more than 1 major version or two weeks behind.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I must admit, the marque does it's job and it's simple to avoid by just updating. But the frequency of the updates can make it a tad bothersome, I DLed v5b which was the latest at the time I DLed it and a few other mods. I had a few issues with Craft manager but I thought "fuck it, don't feel like fixing it today..." next morning got the shit sorted to be greeted by the banner and I was like "What? isn't v5b the latest?... ohh it's v5c now.".

Now I could disable it, but I do still want to be made aware of updates so I don't want to. Have you made it so the banner fades over time yet? As this time round I just DLed the mods again and didn't bother to wait and see. Honestly I think the only real problem with it is that it's persistent, if other mod did their update chat spam every 30 seconds all those modders would get the same grief you are getting with the banner.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
The command being admin-only was a bug, fixed in v5c. Also, as of v5, only you as the pack maker should see it, and there is a config to turn it off, so long as you are not more than 1 major version or two weeks behind.

I assume that's the "Aggressive Notification" option? I just turned that off in the latest configs I'm rolling out.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. So I have a small HTGR reactor, four cores around a common heat exchanger. It's run just fine in v4. After the upgrade to v5, I add fuel and it almost immediately explodes. I noticed in the change log it says that HTGRs now scale for size, but could you elaborate? I was surprised that such a small reactor had an issue.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Wow. So I have a small HTGR reactor, four cores around a common heat exchanger. It's run just fine in v4. After the upgrade to v5, I add fuel and it almost immediately explodes. I noticed in the change log it says that HTGRs now scale for size, but could you elaborate? I was surprised that such a small reactor had an issue.
Small reactors generate almost nothing. Big reactors are much more liable to melt.
Neither explode.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Small reactors generate almost nothing. Big reactors are much more liable to melt.
Neither explode.

Ok, so my HTGR melted into lava. ;]

After a bit more testing it looks like instead of 4 pebble bed cores around 1 heat exchanger, I now have to run 4 heat exchangers around one pebble bed core. The old way a TRISO pellet lasted perhaps ten minutes or more, burning slowly and the temperature never hit 1000C. Now a TRISO pellet looks like it burned in 3 minutes and routinely heats over 1100C even with 4 heat exchangers. No wonder if overheated if it's burning so fast.

My 4 core pebble bed was able to run a full size turbine and get 850 MW with the flywheel. It was more than enough power.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

After a bit more testing it looks like instead of 4 pebble bed cores around 1 heat exchanger, I now have to run 4 heat exchangers around one pebble bed core. The old way a TRISO pellet lasted perhaps ten minutes or more, burning slowly and the temperature never hit 1000C. Now a TRISO pellet looks like it burned in 3 minutes and routinely heats over 1100C even with 4 heat exchangers. No wonder if overheated if it's burning so fast.

My 4 core pebble bed was able to run a full size turbine and get 850 MW with the flywheel. It was more than enough power.

I just measured it, a single TRISO pellet lasted one minute. It went up 4% used every few seconds. This in a single pebble bed core.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
and how much steam are you getting out of it?

I believe about the same amount. I'm caching the hot co2 currently, because I didn't want to turn on the whole system until I debugged the parts. I'm currently making more co2 after reorganizing the pipes to switch from 4:1 cores/cooling to 1:4. Lost lots of gas.

EDIT: I believe 1 pellet turned into 8-12 buckets of hot co2. That's consistent with the old reactor behavior at slower speeds.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Just found out the Fuel Enhancer has a really ridiculously large hitbox for the NEI recipes section, large enough to cover the top two rows of inventory space, and this recipes link leads to Rock Melter recipes.

It could also do with a shinier GUI, but that's not a big deal.

Also, it would be nice if you could give the Fuel-Powered engine a GUI, and also allowed fuel input from a location other then the bottom. As it is, the ECU can't be used if you auto-feed fuel.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just found out the Fuel Enhancer has a really ridiculously large hitbox for the NEI recipes section, large enough to cover the top two rows of inventory space, and this recipes link leads to Rock Melter recipes.

It could also do with a shinier GUI, but that's not a big deal.

Also, it would be nice if you could give the Fuel-Powered engine a GUI, and also allowed fuel input from a location other then the bottom. As it is, the ECU can't be used if you auto-feed fuel.
The fuel enhancer does not have NEI support...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Demo, if you didn't already see it I think Reika addressed this in a new version release.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Apparently, this also happens with other machines that share the fuel enhancer's GUI.
OK, this is NEI being stupid. You supply a GUI class for the NEI handler, and apparently it not only applies the "Recipes" transfer rect to all GuiLavaMaker instances, but anything else that extends from GuiBasicStorage....

EDIT:
Derp. The NEI handler is still referencing GuiBasicStorage from before v3 when the Rock Melter did not have its own GUI. Fixed for the next version.

Last edited: