Buildcraft Energy routing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Seem all of us have contributed to throwing this thread off topic totally... It doesn't really seem fair to the OP.. Maybe start a new thread. ;)

masshuu

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry. Every thread I ever start on any forum does this. Rather interesting though.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Every forum thread eventually resembles a Sierpinski Triangle of topics. But I too further contribute to the off-topic portions by apologizing for said portions.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I love king lemmon too.. He is a great guy.. And I fear that people will again destroy a great modder with negativity.

Hey, thanks. :) Just a couple of questions - who was the first modder that was destroyed (Elo is fine), and who is this second great modder? It's not me, I'm just a guy with a hobby. You want a great modder, you're talking about a lot of the other people in the community. Speaking only of dedicated modders and not general coders (cpw, Searge, and Lex make this all possible and are all amazing), one of the first that comes to mind is Azanor - ThaumCraft is amazing and completely without equal.*

*Obviously my opinion, but it really is a complete mod, and the golems are adorable.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
I do know what's going to happen with that last little bit. I've already seen 2 prototypes of dynamic modpack assemblers for mods that can, given the right metadata, automatically assemble modpacks from any given link. It can even show the download page as it works. I'm really curious to see if they're going to publish that work; evidently it requires a fair amount of extra work by the author, and any author that wants to control modpack creation probably wouldn't volunteer to do that work. But it completely annihilates the redistribution problem for modpacks.
I've thought about making such a system for some time, it's good to know someone already is. Have links?

You make it sound as if modpack authors have a choice (they do, but with such a system big mods would be rapidly be replaced with Micro Mods).

Anyone who doesn't include their mod in the system, either intends it to truly be stand-alone, or will die off as people adopt such systems for their flexibility (because someone will make a micro-mod that includes similar functionality, pipes mod for pipes, machines mod for machines, etc). All the standard mods that include pro-distribution licenses will obviously make it in, BC, IC2, TE?, Forestry.

FTB already has competition (looks like it's updated far more frequently.....):
http://www.atlauncher.com/the-allmighty-pack/
Has all the FTB packs + Millenaire and a bunch of others I'd wish would show up. Shame TE isn't in there.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, thanks. :)
Azanor - ThaumCraft is amazing and completely without equal.*
I will admit, Azanor makes a great mod. And with updates.

However, don't undersell yourself, you have an excellent mod of your own. And you're not afraid to give people pro-distribution permissions.

Which reminds me. Do you have a Donation link? I want to reward this behavior, with money.

Reactions: Poppycocks

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I looked over the packs. one is very very bloated and I am susupecting there will be conflicts in it. Good for them for trying but I am suspecting issues will arrise.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
I looked over the packs. one is very very bloated and I am susupecting there will be conflicts in it. Good for them for trying but I am suspecting issues will arrise.
Well of course. Most mods are written in isolation or limited compatibility or insight into other mods. That just breeds exploits, duplicates, bugs, crashes and high resource usage from ram and cpu. That said it still can be fun depending on what the environment is that it is played in.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
FTB already has competition (looks like it's updated far more frequently.....):
http://www.atlauncher.com/the-allmighty-pack/
Has all the FTB packs + Millenaire and a bunch of others I'd wish would show up.

The launcher itself downloads all the mods from the mod authors links so that they get all the money from links such as adfly and everything goes through their official links, we just provide an easy way to install and play with mods.

Key point: No distribution is occurring, downloads are off the author-supplied download sites. Thus no rights need to be requested.

Shame TE isn't in there.

http://www.atlauncher.com/forums/thread-131.html?highlight=thermal expansion

That launcher is simply the four packs the developers have setup, given their download model there is no reason they can't implement the (soon to be gone / never really existent) private pack feature of FTB - minus the headaches of getting rights.[DOUBLEPOST=1360788451][/DOUBLEPOST]
That just breeds exploits, duplicates, bugs, crashes and high resource usage from ram and cpu.

Because clearly FTB has never had such issues. *cough*platinum dupe*cough*iron dupe*cough*blaze rod dupe*cough*bonemeal dupe*cough*, and doesn't even have all the mods going to appear in Ultimate yet.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Because clearly FTB has never had such issues. *cough*platinum dupe*cough*iron dupe*cough*blaze rod dupe*cough*bonemeal dupe*cough*, and doesn't even have all the mods going to appear in Ultimate yet.

I actually would say FTB proves the point. No matter how the mod pack is put together until you have a unified team writing the mods, you'll forever have the issues.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think he's the guy responsible for Thermal Expansion...might also be the dude behind BuildCraft, too, but I'm not 100% on that. My short-term memory blows, lol.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
forgive me for my ignorance but what mod king lemmon make
ThermalExpansion, or TE for short.

BuildCraft is Sengir (as is Forestry), the guy GregT named the planks after (because Sengir made fun of him that everything in his pack might as well be made from Nether Stars).

He doesn't have a donation link on either his website, nor his minecraftforum.net thread.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Key point: No distribution is occurring, downloads are off the author-supplied download sites. Thus no rights need to be requested.
I actually only noticed it because it was listed in Azanor's Thaumcraft 3 "modpack permissions".

Otherwise I would've never heard of ATLauncher.