Bronze gregtech not working

Disrupter52

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone

so i have adequate steam and water into a small boiler. I have pipes feeding steam to a forge hammer and a squeezer. I tossed in some mats and both made one item then stopped. Like forever. Why they heck dont they work properly? Theyre not blocked i dont get it.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
You say they aren't blocked but are you 100% sure? What you're describing certainly sounds like what happens when the steam vent surface is obstructed. I haven't played it in a while, but if IIRC, the steam vent defaults to being on the back of the machine, but can be moved around with the wrench

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, the steam vent must have an air block adjacent to it. See here, I'm learning too.

http://gregtechcommunitywiki.wikispaces.com/Bronze Age (Steam) Machines

"All Bronze Age (Steam) Machines share the following properties:
  • They consume Steam as their source of energy.
  • They function similarly to basic Electric machines.
  • They do not catch fire or explode when exposed to rain.
  • Their backsides are covered by a Steam Vent. This Vent must be left uncovered (they must face an air block), or the machine will cease to function after one process. The vent side can be changed with a Wrench.
  • If their Steam supply is interrupted, their progress will pause but not be lost."
Greg also changed the way the wrench functions. I'm looking for some sort of beginner's guide, haven't played Gregtech since Ultimate (1.4.7) days... a lot has changed obv but I like what I see. Having to explore for ore deposits puts the minecrafting back in Minecraft, IMO. I'm just hope I'm still so positive after fruitless hours of searching for my first copper or tin deposits. I spawned right at a huge coal seam surrounded by spruce forest, so I've got the caveman age covered. :) But where I go from here, that's the hard part. Any good guides around? The Gregtech ore list in NEI is just mind-boggling. I love it!

Last edited:

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
Good guides...I think the official FTB forum has a decent one, as does the Beyond Reality wiki. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask in the GT thread ;)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So I finally made a Steam Forge Hammer, but it isn't working. I put 2 ingots into the slot with the hammer icon, they disappeared but no plate appeared. The machine is making noise but it seems to be stuck in some kind of loop. There's an exclamation mark in red in the middle of the machine, which might indicate some kind of error code I guess.

I made a Compressor which allowed me to make a block of iron which is required to make the Steam Forge Hammer... so I know my Bronze Age steam setup is working properly. So why is the Forge Hammer not working? Am I supposed to put my hammer inside the machine too? I tried that, and I did get a plate to appear. Very confusing tho, I'm stumped.

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
That exclamation means that you aren't supplying enough steam. Different steam machines have different steam requirements. Also, the distance from your boilers may mean that not all the steam reaches it

Reactions: MigukNamja

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Wrong, steam forge hammer actually uses very little compare to the alloy smelter and compressor or way worst

Did you check for the steam vent?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I made the noob error of thinking that gray square was an input for where the steam pipe should go. :) And also, I didn't realize how weak the small boilers are, I have two of them running my Forge Hammer, and the most I can do when the boilers are full of steam is to put 16 ingots in and get 8 plates. Then I have to let the boilers fill up again before putting another 16 ingots in. Slow, very slow, but steady progress towards my Blast Furnace!

Thanks for the help, I think I got it now. While digging down to find some Redstone to make pistons for my first machines, I dug right into a Chalcopyrite vein (smelts to copper ingot), and below that ore was Pyrite ore and below that... Iron ore! Things are suddenly looking a lot better. Not gonna make more boilers and waste materials, just gonna do my 8 plates at a time until I have the 3 stacks I need to make my Blast Furnace.

Oh and I also should say... it's great to be playing Gregtech again. I really missed it since FTB Ultimate days... its hard, but its very rewarding when you finally figure something out.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So, I made my Blast Furnace, I'm making steel slowly, and now I'm really lost. LOL The Electric Age... where to begin?

Here's my biggest problem - I've never played a pack without TE3 and its awesome tesseracts, or without EnderTanks... what are my options with GT to transport fluids such as lava back to my base? Or oil from a geyser I discovered somewhere? I've always relied on fluids as my power source, lava for early game and fuel for later on. Are we expected to utilize railcraft trains to move fluids in mass quantity? How do I solve the eternal early-game problem - pumping lava from a nether ocean to my base?

Hello everyone

so i have adequate steam and water into a small boiler. I have pipes feeding steam to a forge hammer and a squeezer. I tossed in some mats and both made one item then stopped. Like forever. Why they heck dont they work properly? Theyre not blocked i dont get it.

Back to the OP... I finally realized that the operation of the Bronze Age steam machines is exactly the same as the way the electric power worked in FTB Ultimate days... if the machine doesn't have enough power to complete its operation (steam, in this case), then the machine will reset itself and use up all the steam - it's lost, and you don't get it back. So the machine ends up getting stuck in a loop, like I experienced, because the boilers (I only used two small ones) aren't providing enough steam quickly enough. So I found the only way to "reset" the machine and not lose the materials inside that it's working on is to break the steam pipe feeding into it and wait a bit - let the coal boilers build up sufficient steam power to complete one operation, then reconnect the steam pipe. As I described in my post above, I had to limit the amount of materials I put into the machine, so it wouldn't run out of steam and go into that endless loop. I couldn't just put a stack in and walk away. You have to tend to the Bronze Age machines rather carefully, which I'm quite sure is exactly what was intended for early game.

Last edited:

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I used a lot of SFM and a drum for holding steam
And solar boiler are quite cheap and produce a good amount of steam, good early source of steam :p

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
For Electric age, after you get your power generation and storage, first machine would be a Wiremill, then an Extruder, Alloy Smelter, and Lathe. Those will let you make the rest of the machines *much* cheaper.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I used a lot of SFM and a drum for holding steam
And solar boiler are quite cheap and produce a good amount of steam, good early source of steam :p

Sounds good. Except silver is problem. Gotta keep digging and exploring I guess. I had to look up SFM = Steve's Factory Manager, never used it before but might have to look at it.

So I guess the old stand-by, lava power from the nether, isn't really feasible without tesseracts or enderchests? Or I guess what I'm gonna need to do is run geothermal generators at my lava source, put the electricity into some kind of portable battery unit, and then hand carry the batteries back to my base to be used?

Last edited:

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Carts? I don't know, slowed down a lot after the blast furnace (working on one, possibly two more packs and playing modsauce and school...)

Rynlwar

Jul 29, 2019
greg tech is a very...interesting mod very hard and repetative but now that i started i cant seem to stop...regular ic2 is boring lol but i do have one problem....for the macerator the steam one am i supposed to be able to find diamonds or do i have to wait till i can make them?

FrankieTheSnake

Jul 29, 2019
greg tech is a very...interesting mod very hard and repetative but now that i started i cant seem to stop...regular ic2 is boring lol but i do have one problem....for the macerator the steam one am i supposed to be able to find diamonds or do i have to wait till i can make them?
try to find them, graphite veins have them, don't think you find them fast though. mined for 4 hours before I found one. good luck with gregtech!

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Using Thaumcraft aqua shards to make a Greg Tech pick (called Aqua Pick in NEI) gives you early Fortune III and should increase your chance of getting an actual diamond drop from the small diamond ores (mine at 6-7 ish height for small diamond ore).

You should be able to get industrial diamonds from the steam compressor using the coalball recipe, I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk