Breach: The Lost Apprentice [HQM] [Early WIP]

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Welcome to my second project, one I hope will go a wee bit more smoothly than the last.

Story
You are a brand new apprentice to a powerful wizard schooled in the three magics. As you were settling in on your first day a powerful explosion rips through the castle that is your new home. Your mentor is missing, the castle and surrounding lands have been displaced into some strange new dimension, and you have little training and fewer supplies. Can you figure out what happened, where your mentor has gone, and a way to get home?

About
Breach is designed to be more magic focused, more structured, and less hectic survival than my first project. Using the HQM quest book to simulate a spell book and research mechanic, learn new magic to create the resources you will need to first survive and then, hopefully, find a way home. But watch it, as a completely untrained apprentice your spells might go awry until you practice. Eventually you will have to master the three magics, Thaumcraft, Botania, and Blood Magic if you ever want to see your home again.

Mod List (tentative and heavily WIP)
Thaumcraft
Blood Magic
Botania
Quadrum (new blocks and items, very necessary)
Minetweaker/Modtweaker (new recipes, also very necessary)
Fluxed Crystals (growing resources for fun and profit)
HQM
Ender IO (expect recipes to be heavily altered)
Thermal Expansion (also)
and of course the usual utility mods and such

Current Status
The map is being built. I don't have a lot of spare time, and I'm also not very good at being an architect. Still, the base island is in and looks mostly good.
The story is in place, or at least a rough skeleton, from beginning to end.
The mechanics have been mostly worked out, but need extensive testing for feasibility and balance, balance, balance.
The mods are coming together. I expect there to be a lot of changes as I go along.
The quests and such aren't ready, yet, but I do have a fairly firm outline. If the mechanics of what I want to do pass muster the quests should be easy. I hope. Once again I will be trying to do something with a mod the mod authors never intended.

Expect pictures and teaser videos and such to appear in this thread as I have them. I expect to have a working alpha sometime in the next few weeks. Do not ask for it until it is ready. Once the map passes alpha and is playable from beginning to end I will try to get it posted as third party pack.

I will probably be looking for ideas and balance suggestions as I go along. Check this thread and my twitter for updates.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Lemme know if you need help with anything.

SnowShock35

FTB Pack Developer
Feb 27, 2014
United Kingdom
snowshock35.com
This looks amazing and sounds amazing. The story line is very intriguing. I like the use of fluxed crystals, was considering using it myself, looking forward to a release also if u need someone to test just let us know ;)

Crofty17

Jul 29, 2019
Count me in my three favourite mods and an idea that has been in my head for ages what could be better

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding Fluxed-Crystals, there is currently a crash at SMP startup but that shouldn't affect your pack at this time. I submitted an issue with the author and it has been fixed but not released yet. He was gone for 3 weeks but is back now.

Otherwise I CAN'T WAIT for this pack to become available.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Alright, so I'm beginning to put together the underpinnings of generating raw resources. Instead of going the Ex Nihilo route of sifting, I'll be using Fluxed Crystals. And not all resources will be available straight away, research will be required to unlock the more esoteric resources. Research will also be required to unlock stronger Flux Seeds. As a for instance, at apprentice level Iron Seeds will only produce nuggets. Journeyman seeds will produce ingots, and Master seeds will produce blocks. Well, that is what is planned. I'm still balancing, so things will change. Now, off to see if the research system will work as I hope it will. If so all the pieces will be in place to build most of the modpack, minus a lot of iteration and balancing. Oh, and building.

B6SosMXCAAEyyfB.jpg:large

Reactions: Yulife

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I'm beginning to put together the underpinnings of generating raw resources. Instead of going the Ex Nihilo route of sifting, I'll be using Fluxed Crystals. And not all resources will be available straight away, research will be required to unlock the more esoteric resources. Research will also be required to unlock stronger Flux Seeds. As a for instance, at apprentice level Iron Seeds will only produce nuggets. Journeyman seeds will produce ingots, and Master seeds will produce blocks. Well, that is what is planned. I'm still balancing, so things will change. Now, off to see if the research system will work as I hope it will. If so all the pieces will be in place to build most of the modpack, minus a lot of iteration and balancing. Oh, and building.

B6SosMXCAAEyyfB.jpg:large
I love the textures! Are those yours...? Anyway, I am glad you are making a modpack again! Those ideas... they are quite.. creative, I must say! ^^ Good luck, mate :p

jaredlll08

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding Fluxed-Crystals, there is currently a crash at SMP startup but that shouldn't affect your pack at this time. I submitted an issue with the author and it has been fixed but not released yet. He was gone for 3 weeks but is back now.

Otherwise I CAN'T WAIT for this pack to become available.

(regarding Fluxed-Crystals)
I am working on other fixes, I am in the final stage of updating though! so expect an update very soon!

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
(regarding Fluxed-Crystals)
I am working on other fixes, I am in the final stage of updating though! so expect an update very soon!
Very good, I'm going to depend on your mod fairly heavily.

Speaking of which, the spell casting and mana recharge mechanics work. There are one or two flaws and the whole system needs fleshing out and balancing but the central concept works.

An album explaining where things now stand:
http://imgur.com/a/fzeyN#0

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Very good, I'm going to depend on your mod fairly heavily.

Speaking of which, the spell casting and mana recharge mechanics work. There are one or two flaws and the whole system needs fleshing out and balancing but the central concept works.

An album explaining where things now stand:
http://imgur.com/a/fzeyN#0
That is a unique idea! I think you should change the look of the quest book to more of a magic type via resource loader ;)

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Huh, and I may have just found a way to render all that work unnecessary.

Modtweaker has Thaumcraft support. Oh and Botania and Blood Magic. I can, more or less, effectively script my own damn Thaumcraft add on. And perhaps tie all the magic mods together. Now, let me see what trouble I can get myself into...

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
B6U5DtdCQAAS-7M.jpg

Oh yes. This is glorious. It's also going to be a ton of work, and putting together the research tree and tying all the magic mods together is going to be hell. But I think it is going to be worth it.

Ok, current mechanic is you create the universal seeds like so. From there you have to turn them into resource seeds. Seeds will fall into 3 categories: simple just needing a crafting table, intermediate requiring a dunking into a crucible, and complex requiring full on infusion. Thaumic shards will be simple, as will clay and flint. Most ores will be intermediate, gems and nether drops will take infusion.

Turning shards into resources will take a simple dunk into either a Botania mana pool or a Blood Magic Altar.

A lot of work ahead, indeed. But this should be a very unique take on a skyblock map. And this time I won't be fighting to find an end for the map, I already have it tested and ready to go.