Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion Roguelike Dungeons doesn't belong in this pack. While it is an excellent mod, the vast amount of loot you can find in them and the dungeons being relatively easy to explore compared to running around at night, just gives you way too much free stuff if you find one in the early game (I'm playing on Hardcore, haven't considered the impact the dungeons have on Survival where death is not a concern and therefore the dungeons are even less risky to explore). I explored the first level of one and after finding a cake, some enchanted leather armor and lots of bread and torches, I was sorted for supplies for a very long time and set up camp in there (although I died a few days later due to zombie invasion). I didn't see a single mob or mob spawner in the dungeon either, although I only explored the first level.

If you ask me the mod should either be disabled, or tweaked so the dungeons are either much harder or much rarer to find.

I feel like your opinion on this matter is early and naive. As you mentioned you have only explored the first floor, that means that you have not really explored any dangerous floors. Come back when you have cleared the third, fourth, or fifth floors.

TerraSleet

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like your opinion on this matter is early and naive. As you mentioned you have only explored the first floor, that means that you have not really explored any dangerous floors. Come back when you have cleared the third, fourth, or fifth floors.
Well my point still stands - I only explored the first level and got more than enough supplies to completely bypass the intended early game challenge of gathering supplies. The armor was also quite helpful for surviving the first few nights.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Then I think it's time for me to look at balancing chests and mobs before finishing recipes. I know what I'm going to be working on tonight now.

Reactions: Blu76

TerraSleet

Jul 29, 2019
Then I think it's time for me to look at balancing chests and mobs before finishing recipes. I know what I'm going to be working on tonight now.
Good to hear :) A lot of the chests I've found contained items which made surviving a lot easier than it should be. Some notable examples are iron armor/tools in village and Witchery chests and lots of assorted items in the Deadly Worlds cave chests.

Sekihoutai

Jul 29, 2019
Well my point still stands - I only explored the first level and got more than enough supplies to completely bypass the intended early game challenge of gathering supplies. The armor was also quite helpful for surviving the first few nights.
I disagree, I'm currently living in one and there is more downsides than upsides to it. I've been going through the dungeon and whilst it does contain a lot of torchs majority of the torchs I end up using either get broken by mobs or blown up in creeper explosions. It's near impossible to go down to floor two without having a companion unless you have decent gear. Overall I find it useless to explore because theres not much gains besides maybe the mob drops being useful and maybe getting lucky and finding a diamond in a chest.

TerraSleet

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree, I'm currently living in one and there is more downsides than upsides to it. I've been going through the dungeon and whilst it does contain a lot of torchs majority of the torchs I end up using either get broken by mobs or blown up in creeper explosions. It's near impossible to go down to floor two without having a companion unless you have decent gear. Overall I find it useless to explore because theres not much gains besides maybe the mob drops being useful and maybe getting lucky and finding a diamond in a chest.
I may have just been lucky with the find and lack of mobs, but I found 5 chests and a cake room in the first level, all without encountering a single mob. With the whole place lit up nothing spawns. All the chests had torches, bread, some had enchanted armor and music discs. I wouldn't be too concerned with this if it wasn't so easy for me to explore with no enemies.

Sekihoutai

Jul 29, 2019
I may have just been lucky with the find and lack of mobs, but I found 5 chests and a cake room in the first level, all without encountering a single mob. With the whole place lit up nothing spawns. All the chests had torches, bread, some had enchanted armor and music discs. I wouldn't be too concerned with this if it wasn't so easy for me to explore with no enemies.
Yea, you must've been lucky :p I've been to two on my world and both were packed with mobs to the brim - Almost no light on either of them besides the netherrack with fire on it. Any torchs down there became non-existant after it being loaded for a bit.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
You definitely got lucky. I'm past the early game. Have iron armor, and no lack of food or torches. I've got 3 dungeons nearby that I need to go work on. They take a huge amount of torches and time to work past the top. I plan to set a bed, make a lot of chests, take extra armor, and just expect to die a lot and hope the items gained offset the losses of iron and time. Finding food/torches/gold etc aren't that much help right now. But I'd kill for a melon seed.

They make a nice spot to set up for the first couple of days, but after that, I'm sure Mr.Miner will make come visiting, happy that you live underground :)

I'm going to plant a couple stone golems in my bedroom, just to prevent a death cycle when the hit squad eventually catches me down there.

Sekihoutai

Jul 29, 2019
What're viable options to get steel? I'm currently working on thermal expansion and to make steel via coal and iron you require a induction smelter. What're other options I know there's pig iron and such, but I'm having a huge headache trying to find it. Curious if there is any other way to get it.

TerraSleet

Jul 29, 2019
What're viable options to get steel? I'm currently working on thermal expansion and to make steel via coal and iron you require a induction smelter. What're other options I know there's pig iron and such, but I'm having a huge headache trying to find it. Curious if there is any other way to get it.
Damascus steel is very good for tools. Bronze + Iron in a smelter, it has a mining level of Ardite. It allows you to bypass Alumite / Obsidian (but I think Alumite is still better in terms of stats).

On the subject of Metallurgy, does anyone know the armor values of all those Metallurgy armor sets?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

To start machinery requires getting Pig Iron and Redstone from the nether. Lapis also only spawns in the nether. You may get lucky and find an occasional bit in the OW, but it's rare.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
After i got set up and was about losing my base, i got paranoid about meteors. I put an 8 block gap, made a layer of cobble, another of dirt, and planted a grove of rubber trees for torches. Came back from mining, and got confused as hell. All torches in my base gone, top two rungs of the ladder gone, and mobs in my base. A long fight ensued as i leaped into the fray from my bed time and time again, finally killing the manticore, and luckily, the ettin fell out of the tree, saving a monumentally long fight. The cause was pretty easy to see once light was re-established.

Meteor hit smack in the middle of my base. Half above the level of the dirt, half under, with two layers sticking out of my ceiling. Blast knocked out all torches and the ladder, didn't hurt much else. Trees all burned to stumps. Probably will leave it. It adds a nice touch to the decor.[DOUBLEPOST=1395017854][/DOUBLEPOST]
To start machinery requires getting Pig Iron and Redstone from the nether. Lapis also only spawns in the nether. You may get lucky and find an occasional bit in the OW, but it's rare.

And several diamonds for the diamond draw plate and saw to cut it with :(

Does a good job of pushing the tech up further in the tree.

Reactions: Eyamaz

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a log of all the changes you have made in your pack?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a log of all the changes you have made in your pack?

VikeStep is handling logs for both jaded and I. He has them all to put up on the atlassian site, but he is in crunch time at school atm. They will get there when he gets to it. He is pretty thorough when he does them.
<3 my vike.

Reactions: Not_Steve

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019

I went back again to the local dungeon to see if i misremembered. I'm playing on difficulty 2, had Damascus steel armor with various low level enchantments, 4 stacks of torches, plenty of food. Sword with knockback, smite, and sharpness. I managed to explore maybe half the second level, took out a half dozen spawners, died once, and ran screaming a couple of other times.

My huge lootfest: 5 cooked steak, 8 cooked fish, 11 torches, two one use safari nets, and 16 books.
Not rocking the world here :)

A dungeon right as you spawned in might be cool. A bit of food, a piece of armor, some torches. But just running will get you torches and food as well. I'd consider a village to be many times more useful early on than the dungeons.

mars111

Jul 29, 2019
I had to login and post that, you can NOT make the cobalt axe (diamond) as theres no recipe. But you can make the shovel pickaxe sword hoe and the armors.
being as I wanted to build the Harvester from MFR and found that you can't get the axe :/
Also using cobalt for some MFR machines seen a lot of overkill.. unless you get to Magical Crops extreme essences levels... and farm cobalt seeds... But that even takes a lot of effort and days to do!

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I'd much rather look for cobalt in the nether, than try to get 1024 essence to make tier 4 seed in magical crops. Not having the crops produce more than the seed to replant themselves means a ton of kicking grass if you want to really do the magical crops.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
What method are people using to deal with the gases? I love mining, and i'm finding them to be an ungodly pain in the ass when you get low. Between rare ores, and ultra slow careful mining with regular death and loss of gear, I think i'm in the same spot i was 3 days ago, after about 12 hours of gaming. (Normal difficulty).

Sekihoutai

Jul 29, 2019
What method are people using to deal with the gases? I love mining, and i'm finding them to be an ungodly pain in the ass when you get low. Between rare ores, and ultra slow careful mining with regular death and loss of gear, I think i'm in the same spot i was 3 days ago, after about 12 hours of gaming. (Normal difficulty).

I've been personally using them for lanterns and gaseous furnace, though I'm not a big fan of the gas near bedrock I'll take any gas pockets I see above it. Other than that I've been blowing them open if I don't want it to get a nice open area or get rid of excess gas.

TerraSleet

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just back off, detonate the gas and vent the resulting smoke into a small vertical channel so it doesn't fill my tunnels. I haven't experienced red gas yet, but the pockets of green gas are pretty good to detonate then explore the resulting empty pocket of rock for ores.

You could also make a Miner's helmet or hold a torch, I'm pretty sure the gas doesn't detonate from Dynamic Lights.