Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Some things in Railcraft would. Namely the engines would allow you a form of energy (in MJ) earlier than acquiring steel. Though it's steel production was the original progression in the defunct 1.5 pack. The anchors would be able to be used far earlier than I currently allow chunkloaders.
The rails would be useful, but would end up pushing even rails post nether (requiring steel and creosote.)
Dynamic Tanks are far superior to RC tanks imho.

I've considered adding RC back in, but I REALLY want to finish what is here first before working new stuff in. I'm also looking at the possibility of working in Steelworks if I can get it in without breaking things (further...)

Well, I guess I'll trust your judgment on this one. Thanks anyway!

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
Use MCEdit to regenerate the chunk, losing everything in the chunk.

Delete the region file, losing everything in the region.

Just as an FYI, I found this bug report on Mojang's site with the issue of the server crashing when leaving the nether:
It looks like Mojang confirmed and fixed the problem as of Jan 11, 2014, but they don't say what the problem actually was.

I tried using the Minecraft Region Fixer, but it didn't find any corrupted chunks or any other issues it checks for.

So, I deleted the nether and regenerated it. This time when I left the nether there was a ton of constant spam on the server console having to do with glenn.gases.EntitySmallLightning.findNewTarget. Eventually, my character ended up back in the overworld, but then lost connection a little later and the server became unresponsive. There is a lightning gas cloud not too far from the portal in the nether that can damage you if you stay near the portal too long. Related or different problem, I don't know. Unfortunately, I can not turn off the lightning gas to test the nether without it. Disabling gases in the config file doesn't work and Glenn is aware of that issue. Going to try deleting the nether and then make the portal in the overworld in a different location to try to get the portal in the nether created somewhere not near any gases and see what happens.

Is it a fair assumption that if players can log in and move around the overworld just fine that there probably isn't any corrupted chunks in the overworld?

dlukz

Jul 29, 2019
Just as an FYI, I found this bug report on Mojang's site with the issue of the server crashing when leaving the nether:
It looks like Mojang confirmed and fixed the problem as of Jan 11, 2014, but they don't say what the problem actually was.

I tried using the Minecraft Region Fixer, but it didn't find any corrupted chunks or any other issues it checks for.

So, I deleted the nether and regenerated it. This time when I left the nether there was a ton of constant spam on the server console having to do with glenn.gases.EntitySmallLightning.findNewTarget. Eventually, my character ended up back in the overworld, but then lost connection a little later and the server became unresponsive. There is a lightning gas cloud not too far from the portal in the nether that can damage you if you stay near the portal too long. Related or different problem, I don't know. Unfortunately, I can not turn off the lightning gas to test the nether without it. Disabling gases in the config file doesn't work and Glenn is aware of that issue. Going to try deleting the nether and then make the portal in the overworld in a different location to try to get the portal in the nether created somewhere not near any gases and see what happens.

Is it a fair assumption that if players can log in and move around the overworld just fine that there probably isn't any corrupted chunks in the overworld?
I was the one that reported the nether problem. This isn't a corrupted chunk. I did this on 4 different instances. I helped someone who was playing on 1.0.1. Tested 1.0.2 on his server files. Then on a 1.0.1 ssp, then 1.0.2 ssp and smp. It still happened in 1.0.3. And has happened in 1.0.4. I created an ender quarry and put it in the nether, logged out and logged back in and the server crashed the same way. Not sure why. I've tried it a couple other times and it works now.

On a side note. I am getting no mob spawns now in 1.0.4 with BoP disabled.

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
I was the one that reported the nether problem. This isn't a corrupted chunk. I did this on 4 different instances. I helped someone who was playing on 1.0.1. Tested 1.0.2 on his server files. Then on a 1.0.1 ssp, then 1.0.2 ssp and smp. It still happened in 1.0.3. And has happened in 1.0.4. I created an ender quarry and put it in the nether, logged out and logged back in and the server crashed the same way. Not sure why. I've tried it a couple other times and it works now.

On a side note. I am getting no mob spawns now in 1.0.4 with BoP disabled.

I figured out a sort of work-around for the nether problem.
  1. Stop server.
  2. Delete nether. (dim-1)
  3. Use NBT Explorer to change the seed to some other value. (record original seed)
  4. Start server and go to the nether.
  5. Go back and forth between the nether and the overworld a few times to make sure you no longer have the error.
  6. Stop server.
  7. Use NBT Explorer to change your seed back to its original value.
Down side to this is that when you go exploring the nether you will have some mismatched chunks due to having used two different seeds, but at least you don't have to completely start over and hope you get a working nether.

dlukz

Jul 29, 2019
Eyamaz, Why do you make me feel like a cheater! I spent DAYS getting the materials for an ender quarry, collecting everything, prepping it, and crafting it. Now you broke the recipe for it so it's disabled? :( Should i just toss it in some lava?

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs not spawning might go beyond BOP. I started several games last night after I started using large biomes and took out BOP. Huge amounts of mobs at first. And with large biomes, getting something like extreme hills with no rubber trees and no berrie/food growing is just death. About the 4th game i got a seed I could survive in, sandwiched between huge desert and huge extreme hills, but at least a village. First few days, tons of mobs, expecially jousts and zombies. It's about Day 20 now, and getting really quiet. Every now and then a lycanite mob spawns at night, but in general, I'm not seeing mobs unless I'm exploring a new area. Found a second village, and just like the first, huge amounts of zombies the first couple of nights, then tapering off.

Are the chunks possibly filling with mobs spawning down low, and reaching a cap for the area? I'll do some more experimenting and moving to new areas. (Well, as food supplies last...grow taters, grow!)

dlukz

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs not spawning might go beyond BOP. I started several games last night after I started using large biomes and took out BOP. Huge amounts of mobs at first. And with large biomes, getting something like extreme hills with no rubber trees and no berrie/food growing is just death. About the 4th game i got a seed I could survive in, sandwiched between huge desert and huge extreme hills, but at least a village. First few days, tons of mobs, especially jousts and zombies. It's about Day 20 now, and getting really quiet. Every now and then a lycanite mob spawns at night, but in general, I'm not seeing mobs unless I'm exploring a new area. Found a second village, and just like the first, huge amounts of zombies the first couple of nights, then tapering off.

Are the chunks possibly filling with mobs spawning down low, and reaching a cap for the area? I'll do some more experimenting and moving to new areas. (Well, as food supplies last...grow taters, grow!)
I was playing and did a /cofh killall to see what died(while wondering why i am alone in the middle of a field at midnight). 6 mobs died, all zombies, so I doubt the chunks are filling up underneath. After I ran that I did have some mobs show up at dusk, but that is it. This is definitely strange. I first noticed it when running back and forth to the nether and there were no Zombie Pigmen, I could only hear a bleph(or whatever, I called them Imps in Doom).

Edit: Can you no longer tame Ventoraptors? My tame one disappeared, while someone else's in the same area is alive, along with my eyewig.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
/cofh killall doesn't kill lycanite's mobs.
Hopefully, I'll get an update to you guys soon. I have to redo some configs, but issue seems to be resolved.

dlukz

Jul 29, 2019
/cofh killall doesn't kill lycanite's mobs.
Hopefully, I'll get an update to you guys soon. I have to redo some configs, but issue seems to be resolved.
I did the killall after a I was looking at the /meteor command seeing if it had a syntax help page, while standing in my base(don't try this). He probably died from that, but he had full health and was in a wooden fence cage that didn't burn, and my Eyewig and the other ventoraptor didn't die. Just strange, I cannot seem to tame a new one now though. Was this disabled? Also what about the Ender Quarry, it has uncraftable ender wood now, so is it meant to not be in the game?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I did the killall after a I was looking at the /meteor command seeing if it had a syntax help page, while standing in my base(don't try this). He probably died from that, but he had full health and was in a wooden fence cage that didn't burn, and my Eyewig and the other ventoraptor didn't die. Just strange, I cannot seem to tame a new one now though. Was this disabled? Also what about the Ender Quarry, it has uncraftable ender wood now, so is it meant to not be in the game?

No, taming was not disabled. Hopefully that will be fixed.

The magic wood.
Um.
I'll fix it...

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019

I'm showing the Endercore is needed now, an upgrade to Magic wood. I assume it's something found, or crafted from things found, after you get to the end?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
So has anyone played with the wood nerfs enabled besides me? I'm looking for feedback on them before I choose to make them a forced edition.

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
I'm showing the Endercore is needed now, an upgrade to Magic wood. I assume it's something found, or crafted from things found, after you get to the end?

If you don't want to wait for v1.0.5, you can edit config/minetweaker/BnBExtraUtilitiesRecipes.cfg and change line 72 to:
recipes.addShaped(<2523:11>, [[<2523:8>,oreDict.enderobsidian,<2523:8>],[oreDict.enderobsidian,<4362:24>,oreDict.enderobsidian,],[<2523:8>,oreDict.enderobsidian,<2523:8>]]);

All you are changing is the capital 'O' in enderObsidian to a lower case 'o' so it is enderobsidian. You need to make that change on the server. Then the recipe will work and show up in NEI.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
By wood nerfs you mean the change to needing sawdust for charcoal? So far I'm finding that if you don't have rubber trees nearby, it can be a bit brutal, with only coal as a way to make torches. First days were harsh, what with needing to make the tools, find gravel, and then hide in the dark. The offset is that the roguelike dungeons are so common that I expect most people will live in the top of them for a few nights while they try to find rubber trees. Mining coal while using torches to mine is a bit scary at times. Surface coal now becomes very useful. Sawmill will become one of the first items i'll make when i get to machines.

In my current game, I've gone a 1000 in each direction with only either desert, or extreme hills. Will continue the search tonite and maybe make a few more games to see how often you get a harsh start without BoP.

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
So has anyone played with the wood nerfs enabled besides me? I'm looking for feedback on them before I choose to make them a forced edition.

We didn't know what exactly it did so we didn't enable them. But since I have been looking in to minetweaker to get a better understanding of it, I looked at the changed recipes. It looks like all it changes is that wood becomes only 2 planks unless you use a saw (the hand saws, not a sawmill) in which case you get 4 planks, except for rubber wood which is 3 planks with a saw. In other words, you need to use a saw to get the "normal" amount of planks otherwise you get ~half.

I'd say that should be the norm. :) If I enable those recipe changes on an existing server, it shouldn't cause any issues, should it?

I am also thinking that maybe you should disable the stone saw recipe so that people can not use a saw until they have iron. :D According to NEI, the stone saw isn't needed in any recipes so there shouldn't be any problems with it being disabled.

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Deleting config/mapwriter.cfg didn't fix the grey minimap color for me. Anyone else seeing this?

I found block 2 (grass) in MapWriterBlockColours.txt is a stone color and tried to change it to a green, but it seems to generate and overwrite the file on load. Then I confirmed it looked ok in Magic Farm 2 and tried is copying over the 3 mapwriter config files from MF2 into BnB, but I still had grey grass. Both are Opis 1.2.0 with the same config files, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Any other ideas on what's going on there?

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if not requiring pickaxes to be boosted to mine the next tier of material is by design. As is, by the time you find lava for a smeltery, you have most likely already found lots of iron and some tin. So, once you have a smeltery, you can make a copper pickaxe, go mine a few iron, make an iron pickaxe, go mine a few tin, and then make a bronze pickaxe. You can go from a flint pickaxe to a bronze pickaxe in roughly 10 minutes if not less. And if you want to make an alumite pickaxe, you just need to mine an obsidian which you can make with the lava you already found, so just a few more minutes for that and now you can mine ardite and go to the nether. Or you can expand your base using a bronze pickaxe to get it boosted and then you can mine ardite with your bronze pickaxe. All depends on if you want to make alumite which isn't used for any recipes, just tinkers' construct tools.

Since I haven't played with boosts required I am not sure on the mechanics. As in, if you boost a copper pickaxe and then upgrade that pickaxe to iron, do you have to boost it again or does it stay boosted? If you need to boost an upgraded pick again then all the better.

Of course, all requiring boosts does is put a bit of a delay before people can mine the next tier of ores. I don't know if that is desirable or not.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I think needing to boost would be a good thing. "I have a new pick, time to go mine!". As i recall, you could boost with a head or by mining. If you added a new head to a pick, it was no longer boosted, although it kept all its abilities. But I agree, as soon as I get a copper i pick, I have iron to make the next tier immediately, most often from iron bars from a dungeon, or from killing a manticore or desert mob that can drop ore. Meteors also a good source. Slowing progression down is always good. More time to die and lose a pick and start over :)