Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed a problem on the two SMP servers i play on (LegendsUnleashed and ProspectCraft). Since the upgrade to 1.04 I'm not seeing mobs spawn at night. First couple of nights I was just thankful I didn't have to deal with any surprises when I climbed down from my little tower to get to work. After that it just seemed too quiet. Legends is on normal difficulty, and Prospect on hard. I've been just leaving my character up at night in the open. Saw a zombie one night, other nights no mobs at all, normal or lycanite. A trip to the nether saw one pigman. Bother servers are pretty deserted and I'm generally the only player on. For the nights I've tested, it was just me loading chunks in the world.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Noticed that in 1.04 the solar generator is moved to using Ender ores and the furnace generator is gone. Good moves on both, as they were much easier to use than a steam dynamo. The survivalist still runs on basic fuels, but I'm guessing it's not real efficient, and does take a lot of metal to get one going. May try one this map to see what it does.
The survivalist generator is actually very efficient but it produces so little power per tick that it is only needed early game

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
The survivalist generator is actually very efficient but it produces so little power per tick that it is only needed early game

I like that. It's useful in early game, but you'll want something better. And just duplicating it 100 times isn't the answer. One of the things that annoys me about how mods can interact, are when suddenly there is one path that leads to the best efficiency and makes other stuff never get used. With IC2 and any type of treefarm, why go to the huge expense of a finicky nuclear reactor that needs rare fuel and doesn't produce a lot, when you could just have a treefarm making charcoal and feeding basic generators?[DOUBLEPOST=1396807272][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've noticed a problem on the two SMP servers i play on (LegendsUnleashed and ProspectCraft). Since the upgrade to 1.04 I'm not seeing mobs spawn at night. First couple of nights I was just thankful I didn't have to deal with any surprises when I climbed down from my little tower to get to work. After that it just seemed too quiet. Legends is on normal difficulty, and Prospect on hard. I've been just leaving my character up at night in the open. Saw a zombie one night, other nights no mobs at all, normal or lycanite. A trip to the nether saw one pigman. Bother servers are pretty deserted and I'm generally the only player on. For the nights I've tested, it was just me loading chunks in the world.

I should add that in both cases these servers have BOP enabled, not sure if that makes a difference.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Made a singleplayer game to try things out. The entire first night I stood in a field with no mobs killing me. Anyone else missing mobs?

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I made two single player games, just used default settings and created worlds with no changes. The world has BOP biomes in it. I see some neutral mobs in the world, (aspids, maka, ponies, cows), but at night nothing is showing up to kill me.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Tested another singleplayer game just now, using Large Biomes. Hostile mobs spawned in chunks with shadow, such as under the large redwoods, and in caves during the day. First night had about 5 zombies swarming around my little platform, and raptors had spawned nearby.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright. I'll try to get a little testing done myself. I have a busy week before I fly out for PAX.
Try disabling BoP and starting a default world. See what happens then. I primarily play/test that way.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm thinking this is going to be yet another issue of cmi with BoP. If that's true, I may end up pulling it and do some testing with highlands instead.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Highlands looks nice, with a great variety of stuff. Hadn't heard of it before and just checked it out. Only thing that looked like it might throw off balance was extra ores in some biomes, especially the double/triple in volcanos. Extra lava doesn't really offset that.

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently yes. It's how iguana has it set up. I have no idea why shovels are so much.
BTW... I just made an iron shovel in Magic Farm and it takes 100 XP to level. It also didn't show the amount of xp required for level until after I dug a block.

PearlescentDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm thinking this is going to be yet another issue of cmi with BoP. If that's true, I may end up pulling it and do some testing with highlands instead.
I've experienced the same lack-of-mobs at night. BoP is disabled on my worlds. It happens relatively the same way; first night or two mobs spawn as normal, and then no more mob spawns. First time was on singleplayer, second time was on a multiplayer server.

I really love this modpack, btw. It's the minecraft experience I've been looking for.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
And with BOP off, i'm now in some little desert town, listening to 40 or so jousts slaughter the villagers, while i see dozens of mobs flapping wings in the distance. Such a difference :)

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
We started over and upgraded to 1.0.4. BoP is disabled but we have hardly any mobs. We have made it to the nether and there are practically no mobs there as well. We tried the /xu_killliving and it said it killed 741 living entities. No idea where they all were. Using that command seemed to cause more mobs to spawn around us for a little bit but then just went back to hardly any mobs around.

Mikhaila666, did you change anything else besides disabling BoP? We never had BoP enabled since server creation, so I wouldn't think BoP is the cause of the lack of mobs.

We are also getting the issue where whenever we leave the nether, the server crashes with the "Exception ticking world" error caused by:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.func_73156_b(ChunkProviderServer.java:328)​

I seem to remember others had this issue so I will look back through the posts to see if there is a fix.

Reactions: LordPMac

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
BTW... I just made an iron shovel in Magic Farm and it takes 100 XP to level. It also didn't show the amount of xp required for level until after I dug a block.

...grumble...borked...grumble...

On another note, @Lycanite pushed an update I'll look at to see if it fixes the issue. I'll try to get 1.0.5 out before PAX, but no guarantees.

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
So, I read back about the server crashing when leaving the nether and Eyamaz said it looked like that person had a corrupted chunk. So, my questions are:
  1. How does one determine which chunk(s) are corrupted?
  2. How does one fix a corrupted chunk?
Preferably without having to start over. Thanks.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
So, I read back about the server crashing when leaving the nether and Eyamaz said it looked like that person had a corrupted chunk. So, my questions are:
  1. How does one determine which chunk(s) are corrupted?
  2. How does one fix a corrupted chunk?
Preferably without having to start over. Thanks.

Use MCEdit to regenerate the chunk, losing everything in the chunk.

Delete the region file, losing everything in the region.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Question for all you BnB veterans, or possibly @Eyamaz himself:

After reading the SUPER BIG WARNING about never adding or removing mods... I want to add a mod to my world. Railcraft, specifically.

It seems Iguana Tweaks was designed around forcing you to use minecarts while mining, which I think is a cool idea. Railcraft adds more functionality to minecarts, most of which would never be used in a normal FTB world. I'm hoping one complements the other.

TL;DR Would adding Railcraft break the progression of the pack?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Question for all you BnB veterans, or possibly @Eyamaz himself:

After reading the SUPER BIG WARNING about never adding or removing mods... I want to add a mod to my world. Railcraft, specifically.

It seems Iguana Tweaks was designed around forcing you to use minecarts while mining, which I think is a cool idea. Railcraft adds more functionality to minecarts, most of which would never be used in a normal FTB world. I'm hoping one complements the other.

TL;DR Would adding Railcraft break the progression of the pack?

Some things in Railcraft would. Namely the engines would allow you a form of energy (in MJ) earlier than acquiring steel. Though it's steel production was the original progression in the defunct 1.5 pack. The anchors would be able to be used far earlier than I currently allow chunkloaders.
The rails would be useful, but would end up pushing even rails post nether (requiring steel and creosote.)
Dynamic Tanks are far superior to RC tanks imho.

I've considered adding RC back in, but I REALLY want to finish what is here first before working new stuff in. I'm also looking at the possibility of working in Steelworks if I can get it in without breaking things (further...)