Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TheQuixote

Jul 29, 2019
New to the pack and thread, But damn. If you get to the point where you feel compelled to add killer chickens, you might have a problem.

Too much "Ha Ha, got you!!!" that causes restart after restart until you find out the secret handshake to get a world going. Not that I probably wont enjoy myself eventually, it's just that spending a few hours continually building TiC tools just to learn things like chickens attack and wood wont burn in a furnace, seems gratuitous to me.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
New to the pack and thread, But damn. If you get to the point where you feel compelled to add killer chickens, you might have a problem.

Too much "Ha Ha, got you!!!" that causes restart after restart until you find out the secret handshake to get a world going. Not that I probably wont enjoy myself eventually, it's just that spending a few hours continually building TiC tools just to learn things like chickens attack and wood wont burn in a furnace, seems gratuitous to me.
If you punch a chicken irl, it's hardly going to be friendly towards you :p.

sisho

Jul 29, 2019

Lol yes it is EXTREMELY different from any normal modpack. When it says hardcore it truly means hardcore unlike most of the "hardcore" modpacks out there. There are lots of helpful videos on youtube from myself, Batch_2, Anesos and plenty more people I'm sure, although things in the modpack have changed a fair amount since we started those series so you might try to find the last person who has started a playthrough or anybody that started on in 1.1.5 because there are actually significant changes to early game.

Best quick advice: Get 10+ Wood, I like to get 15 or so to be safe. Get at LEAST 10 gravel (This is let you make your pick, shovel and axe as well as a stone saw). If you can find a rubber tree (Not a huge deal but it doubles how many torches you can get from recipes). Make sure to scavenge every single berry/vegetable you can, BUT don't break grass yet! This consumes way more hunger than you have to spare at this point. A few optional things to look for though; try to find mud for mud armor, find quicksand and/or sugar cane for punji sticks to make traps to kill mobs in front of your base. Lastly, you want an effective hiding place/base for early game. A rougelike dungeon tower is good for first night, but it is not safe for long periods really. I personally like finding good sized hills/mountains. Dig into the side of it easily night 1 and then you have a base that can last for quite a long time if not permanently. After you get your little base going you want to get a smeltery as soon as possible. Last handy tip, if you open your tinker's tab at the top of your inventory you can put a torch on your head there to give yourself safe light!

If you've got any questions feel free to ask!

krazy_kow

Jan 9, 2014
I had to beat it, he took my pants. Took a lot of time and even more of my lifes, but at the end he got a taste from my sweet revenge.

You can onehit chickens with a flint axe btw. Animals won't notice when their friends die instantly so it's not too big of deal. Just another thing you have to be aware of.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I had to beat it, he took my pants. Took a lot of time and even more of my lifes, but at the end he got a taste from my sweet revenge.

You can one hit the with a flint axe btw. Animals won't notice when their friends die instantly so it's not too big of deal. Just another thing you have to be aware of.
Make a flint axe and jump before hitting so you make a critical and one hit all the animals

Fail to crit and better start running!!! :p

There are only two things I fell they are kinda dumb in this 'aggressive' neutral mobs:
1. If they are aggressive, just save/exit the game and start again and they all forgot they were mad at you.
2. Trying to spawn chickens throwing eggs and you have the bad luck of hitting a chicken with an egg(happens a lot if you are spamming eggs) and all of them get damn mad at you even when you didnt do any damage to them!

JeremyTheObscure

Jul 29, 2019
Another tip for newbies: if you can't stand the darkness your first night (I know I can't), then make a priority of raiding a village or roguelike tower for a torch. You can put a torch on your head (from the equipment tab) for hands-off lighting, which, as a bonus, is coal safe.

If you don't find a village or roguelike (the latter are super common, though), then you will need to fiddle around in the dark until you either mine some coal (look for surface veins the second day) or build a stone crusher to turn logs into sawdust which can then be cooked into charcoal.

sisho

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use a stone crusher unless you HAVE to, and I mean you literally cannot find any coal or towers or torches or anything like that. You want to upgrade it at LEAST to a copper crusher, but even then the amount of fuel you put in to what you gain from it is abysmal. A stone crusher requires way more wood than it is really worth to put in especially when coal/roguelikes/villages are going to be there somewhere.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use a stone crusher unless you HAVE to, and I mean you literally cannot find any coal or towers or torches or anything like that. You want to upgrade it at LEAST to a copper crusher, but even then the amount of fuel you put in to what you gain from it is abysmal. A stone crusher requires way more wood than it is really worth to put in especially when coal/roguelikes/villages are going to be there somewhere.
And my somewhere you mean everywhere!!!

Its like you cant travel 100 blocks without stumbling on a tower.... Kind makes branch mining quite complicated!

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to spawn chickens throwing eggs and you have the bad luck of hitting a chicken with an egg(happens a lot if you are spamming eggs) and all of them get damn mad at you even when you didnt do any damage to them!

If I'm spamming eggs, I sweep across the wall so no two eggs hit the same place.

sisho

Jul 29, 2019
What??? I thought I needed a sawmill to make charcoal. So I can have steel before I go to the nether?

Yes; however you have to get lucky enough to find a redstone block underneath a spawner in the overworld. Redstone does not spawn in the overworld by default except under those circumstances.

Like I said above though, make sure you upgrade your crusher to AT LEAST copper before using it, even then for charcoal it is abysmal rates of fuel consumption vs. gain. You want at least an iron crusher for actual efficiency.

JeremyTheObscure

Jul 29, 2019
The logs->sawdust recipe for the Metalurgy crushers (stone, copper, et.c.) is not in NEI, unfortunately.

Edit: I wouldn't suggest using the crusher to make charcoal for fuel -- only if you need one to make a torch and you have a few extra logs.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
Yes; however you have to get lucky enough to find a redstone block underneath a spawner in the overworld. Redstone does not spawn in the overworld by default except under those circumstances.

Like I said above though, make sure you upgrade your crusher to AT LEAST copper before using it, even then for charcoal it is abysmal rates of fuel consumption vs. gain. You want at least an iron crusher for actual efficiency.
The rogue like dungeons have a few spots to get redstone. The first is the pit traps with the stone pressure plate and piston. If you dig into the wall you'll get a couple of dust under each piston. Second is the rooms with redstone lamps typically have a block of redstone powering them.