Blood Magic Discussion [1.6]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I am guessing my regeneration is slower than vanilla (playing MF2), and the only form of regen I could currently access would be a beacon (having no melons available). It just doesn't seem a very fun solution to be standing around and right clicking. At least once you have the dagger, you can get creative with acquiring LP.
Magic Farm 2 is designed to be a hard as ballz modpack by Jadedcat to increase the challenge of doing anything. If you don't like doing things the slow rather difficult way I'd probably suggest looking into a different pack, MF2 is not an easy pack to play and does require a lot of commitment.

Reactions: Jadedcat

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
Magic Farm 2 is designed to be a hard as ballz modpack by Jadedcat to increase the challenge of doing anything. If you don't like doing things the slow rather difficult way I'd probably suggest looking into a different pack, MF2 is not an easy pack to play and does require a lot of commitment.

But it is easy. That's the point. I think it should be more "challenging" in the sense that it should require some creativity to solve the issue. I mean, you are right, getting regeneration is a creative solution, but isn't that a bit to RNG-based? I don't think the player can be expected to have a beacon with only a lvl 1 blood altar, which leaves mainly potions, which apart from the fact that I generally dislike consumables (I know that the mod's balance should not be catered to my tastes), require either ghast tears (unrealistic) or melons (which need to be found). Maybe I just didn't look enough into solutions yet, though, which is why I asked here.

And not to get philosophical, but I think it's absolute nonsense to talk about "commitment" with regards to games. The only time where "commitment" to a game would be appropriate would be if you want to become a professional player at said game.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I am guessing my regeneration is slower than vanilla (playing MF2), and the only form of regen I could currently access would be a beacon (having no melons available). It just doesn't seem a very fun solution to be standing around and right clicking. At least once you have the dagger, you can get creative with acquiring LP.
Once you get that T2 altar, you can surround it with runes of self-sacrifice. That will speed the process up considerably.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
But it is easy. That's the point. I think it should be more "challenging" in the sense that it should require some creativity to solve the issue. I mean, you are right, getting regeneration is a creative solution, but isn't that a bit to RNG-based? I don't think the player can be expected to have a beacon with only a lvl 1 blood altar, which leaves mainly potions, which apart from the fact that I generally dislike consumables (I know that the mod's balance should not be catered to my tastes), require either ghast tears (unrealistic) or melons (which need to be found). Maybe I just didn't look enough into solutions yet, though, which is why I asked here.

And not to get philosophical, but I think it's absolute nonsense to talk about "commitment" with regards to games. The only time where "commitment" to a game would be appropriate would be if you want to become a professional player at said game.
WayofTime has I believe balanced his mod around the fact that regen is a fairly easily achievable effect via a lot of differing methods including some methods his mod adds.
Ghast tears are a renewable resource due to MFR it requires a fair amount of infrastructure but you can have an auto-spawner spitting out Ghast tears like a fountain I had ~14k in my AE system quite recently.
Magic Bees is also in the pack, Ghastly bees are one of the breedable species one of their products is Ghast Tears. Heh breed up some Imperial Bees their effect if you are in range of their apiary is regen.
Triple meat treats from Thaumcraft give you a short term regen buff if you want a vanilla method make golden apples.
Most of which take a commitment in the only valuable resource in Minecraft, your time, which was my meaning when I mentioned commitment.

Last edited:

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions. It seems to me, though, that this is more of a later-game project. I had planned to build up Blood Magic somewhat in parallel to Thaumcraft and my general infrastructure. Seeing as I will need a decent renewable source of regen to go far, however, I'll probably postpone experimenting until I have the necessary infrastructure.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the Dagger of Sacrifice only requires 3kLP in and of itself. If you managed to get that item at tier 1 (without even getting a blood orb), I feel that it would ruin the feeling of obtaining the power yourself and not through "other" means.

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the Dagger of Sacrifice only requires 3kLP in and of itself. If you managed to get that item at tier 1 (without even getting a blood orb), I feel that it would ruin the feeling of obtaining the power yourself and not through "other" means.

Oh, it does? The wiki says 30.000 LP, which seemed excessive to me. 3k seems a lot more reasonable. I understand what you mean about the progression. There will usually be some menial tasks at the beginning before you unlock alternatives. I don't think, however, that tasks need to be manual in order to evoke the feeling you speak of. After all, it's the player and not his avatar who has the feeling. To me, a mechanic that requires creative input from the player rather than mere time invested will always be superior. After all, I don't play games just to kill my time. But of course that's idealism, no actual game is ever perfect. I will continue experimenting with your mod, thanks for the reply!

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
I got a little question about spells. I was about to start dabbling in the mod today and took a look at the wiki for what the spells could do.

It's easy enough to see what needs to be done to prepare the spells and what items have an effect in general. However, nowhere is it said what item does what effect depending on the 4 different spell types. Is there such a list somewhere that specifies what an ender pearl will do when used in conjunction with one of the 4 diferent skulls,for example? What does TNT in a defense spell do? What does Obsidian do in an environmental spell? Etc. etc...

Reactions: Padfoote

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kind of lost as to how to progress with it even after an hour of research. Can anyone list a couple of things that should be done in progression?
Also, the idea of an in game book is really appealing even if it's to help new people to the mod like me. Can't wait to check the mod out. :)

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kind of lost as to how to progress with it even after an hour of research. Can anyone list a couple of things that should be done in progression?
Also, the idea of an in game book is really appealing even if it's to help new people to the mod like me. Can't wait to check the mod out. :)
Search "Ako the Builder" on YouTube. I'm on a tablet, or I'd link it to you. He has a Spotlight playlist in which he goes through pretty much everything in the mod.

EDIT: Went inside and got on a real computer... Here's the Spotlight playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEZhviWFKefv8fCNjwY81KX0TvPkDqWTs

Last edited:

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The only place I've come across real issues in my 2 playthroughs of BM is Tier 3 to Tier 4. The transition is pretty brutal if you don't have a serious setup in place before you hit Tier 3, which can easily be achieved without one.

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
I use AM2 heal spells to "regen". Made a t4 blood orb with sacrifice runes, stabbing myself, and heal spells on my first trip through. There's more than one way to skin an enderman =)

Yeah, the problem in my case was early-game availability. Unless you already happen to have infrastructure, 30k LP would be a real problem. Thankfully, with just 3k LP for the sword, it was completely fine. A bit annoying to craft the T2 altar, but I did that in between mining sessions, so I did not stand around very long.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

There are other ways to get regen in MF2... and no I am not telling you cause I am mean. :p

Reactions: Padfoote

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
If MF2 got MFR and Mariculture/BC, there is a way to get something better than Heal+Regen Spell of Ars Magica 2.
Straw + Mushroom Stew(Liquid form) FTW!

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
Eating Damselfish gives like 4 seconds of regeneration, and drinking a bottle of fish oil heals 1 heart :p. Not as useful as the other methods but as said there are some other early game ways about it.:p

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
Y
Search "Ako the Builder" on YouTube. I'm on a tablet, or I'd link it to you. He has a Spotlight playlist in which he goes through pretty much everything in the mod.

EDIT: Went inside and got on a real computer... Here's the Spotlight playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEZhviWFKefv8fCNjwY81KX0TvPkDqWTs
Why it has to be a video? Is it so complicated that couldn't explain in words?
Is it so hard to create something like what Witchery does https://sites.google.com/site/witcherymod/getting-started ?

(Sorry, Esheon, not against you. I'm just annoyed to see another YouTube link when looking for some docs)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Y
Why it has to be a video? Is it so complicated that couldn't explain in words?
Is it so hard to create something like what Witchery does https://sites.google.com/site/witcherymod/getting-started ?

(Sorry, Esheon, not against you. I'm just annoyed to see another YouTube link when looking for some docs)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I suppose trying to tell you how awesome Ako's videos are is not going to help, so I'll just leave a link to a post in the FTB wiki (one that should be easy enough to find): http://ftbwiki.org/Tutorial:Blood_Magic

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose trying to tell you how awesome Ako's videos are is not going to help, so I'll just leave a link to a post in the FTB wiki (one that should be easy enough to find): http://ftbwiki.org/Tutorial:Blood_Magic
Thanks! Forgot someone is actively updating Blood Magic on ftbwiki.org.
That's a very nice tutorial.
Already have T2 Orb and Altar, guess now I need to find some ghast tears and blaze rods...

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
Magical Crops + Sigil of the green thumb is your friend. Ghast tears and blaze rods are no longer an issue for me :)

Oh, @WayofTime , Where do you keep an eye out for Blood Magic ideas? :)