Blood Magic Discussion [1.6]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
The mod sounds fine, but I can't even get it to work, or rather NEI blows up in my face when I try, and I'm to lazy to grind vanilla minecraft until I get all the stuff to try out the mod.
Can grab the stuff in creative mode. Not sure what's with the NEI bugging out.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
I was joking, but that does sound pretty cool :p
I do have a method to my madness! Add a few spells in a unique way, and make the player more of a badass. Poppy had an idea to customize said spells further, but I don't think it is wise to talk about those QUITE yet. What would be good, however, is as many spell ideas as possible. I have ... about 40 solid ones right now, but variety would be nice.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Just going to state that the Demon Summoning portion of the mod is going quite well. I currently have 8 demons that can be summoned (things like fire demons, and one that uses holy damage which is effective against undead), as well as a good alchemical method in summoning them.

The demons are good and all, but one of the things I am most happy about is the new potion mechanics that I am adding in. By using a new Alchemic Chemistry Set and using the proper reagents and potion flask, you can create a fully customizable potion - combining different catalysts and binding agents with the various ingredients will allow you to have multiple potion effects on your potion flask, and the flask itself has 8 uses before it needs to be refilled again. Of course, the risk comes into play when you initially try to add the standard potion effects. For every consecutive potion effect you add, the flask gets a higher and higher chance ... to explode.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Just going to state that the Demon Summoning portion of the mod is going quite well. I currently have 8 demons that can be summoned (things like fire demons, and one that uses holy damage which is effective against undead), as well as a good alchemical method in summoning them.

The demons are good and all, but one of the things I am most happy about is the new potion mechanics that I am adding in. By using a new Alchemic Chemistry Set and using the proper reagents and potion flask, you can create a fully customizable potion - combining different catalysts and binding agents with the various ingredients will allow you to have multiple potion effects on your potion flask, and the flask itself has 8 uses before it needs to be refilled again. Of course, the risk comes into play when you initially try to add the standard potion effects. For every consecutive potion effect you add, the flask gets a higher and higher chance ... to explode.

It looks REALLY cool :D
Nice to see that you had done another dev video ^^
Excited to play with it!

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Blood sacrifices? Damn, this is the first time I'll do a blood sacrifice in Modded MC and it's not to recieve my Macerator when using GT!
/reallybadjoke
Okay, I'm out.
But the mod is actually pretty interesting, and balancing it around how much damage you take is something new, IMO. I've seen balancing around weight, time, power, resources, resource consumption (different things), and even how much damage you do, but not damage you take.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Blood sacrifices? Damn, this is the first time I'll do a blood sacrifice in Modded MC and it's not to recieve my Macerator when using GT!
/reallybadjoke
Okay, I'm out.
But the mod is actually pretty interesting, and balancing it around how much damage you take is something new, IMO. I've seen balancing around weight, time, power, resources, resource consumption (different things), and even how much damage you do, but not damage you take.
Thanks! The mod originally started out simply by using your health as a catalyst in doing magic and other such processes. It was a very good coincidence that in 1.6 health regen from hunger is no longer free, because that put a bit more weight in what you had to do. Poppy suggested that the mod was more like blood magic (the original concept was about alchemy, and the name was Alchemical Wizardry), so after the name changed, it seemed like a natural fit!

Hopefully it will catch on a little more, but it is nice to see new people seeing it!

Reactions: RedBoss

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
v0.5.0 is now out, with Demon summoning and very customizable potions! I've done a lot of testing on this particular release, and managed to also fix the issue of the projectiles not having the proper texture. If there are any problems that you find in this version, don't be afraid to let me know!

Reactions: Pokefenn

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, all I can think of right now is Bloodbending from Avatar: The Last Airbender. :p I now expect to see some mechanism for that in the near future of this mod. :p

Reactions: SpitefulFox

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, all I can think of right now is Bloodbending from Avatar: The Last Airbender. :p I now expect to see some mechanism for that in the near future of this mod. :p

Haha, don't think I'll have the player control other players, since that's just mean! Might be an interesting concept to control other mobs, though...

Hopefully with the work I've put into it recently I can get a few more people playing it. I'd like to have Mr. 9x9 do a spotlight on it, however it appears that he isn't doing any spotlights in recent days. I'm still holding onto hope, though! :p

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
So, over half a month has past since I last posted here. No new spotlights quite yet, but I had two who have decided to look at it in the last week (and two that have yet to post said videos. I guess it takes time! :3). KirinDave has since suggested a process to concentrate the essence coming from moon light. Basically, you would have a mirror apparatus that shines upon a basin that, when a cycle is completed, will give a specific amount of "Moon Drip." However, this function can only happen during the night, will work best at a full moon, and ... will loose progress during the day if a mirror is hit my sunlight.

His idea on this system is that it will encourage people to build technical buildings, that would detect the sunlight and only open up the roof when it is dark enough. The bigger the build, the more intricate that such a build would be. And since you can't get anything until a cycle is completed, you can't simply just syphon during the night and not care in the day.

Thoughts? I think it would give a decent challenge that isn't the same as most other accomplishments. Sure, you have the blood altar, but imagine if the floor of the Altar opened up to reveal a huge mirror apparatus shining upon a single Moon Basin, leading to many refiners to gather new and amazing catalysts for your alchemy?

Yes.

Reactions: Pokefenn

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
So, over half a month has past since I last posted here. No new spotlights quite yet, but I had two who have decided to look at it in the last week (and two that have yet to post said videos. I guess it takes time! :3). KirinDave has since suggested a process to concentrate the essence coming from moon light. Basically, you would have a mirror apparatus that shines upon a basin that, when a cycle is completed, will give a specific amount of "Moon Drip." However, this function can only happen during the night, will work best at a full moon, and ... will loose progress during the day if a mirror is hit my sunlight.

His idea on this system is that it will encourage people to build technical buildings, that would detect the sunlight and only open up the roof when it is dark enough. The bigger the build, the more intricate that such a build would be. And since you can't get anything until a cycle is completed, you can't simply just syphon during the night and not care in the day.

Thoughts? I think it would give a decent challenge that isn't the same as most other accomplishments. Sure, you have the blood altar, but imagine if the floor of the Altar opened up to reveal a huge mirror apparatus shining upon a single Moon Basin, leading to many refiners to gather new and amazing catalysts for your alchemy?

Yes.
Sounds like a cool idea :D
Time to get some MFFS3 Force Manipulators and starting doing a room for it.

Reactions: GPuzzle

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Wondering if my mod is a little too gruesome for some people... I've tried to contact Dire about a spotlight, but his initial interest seems to have fallen so that he won't reply to my queries.

What do you think? I personally think that Minecraft is a world of fantasy, and the mod isn't condoning this type of violence. Is it just something a little too gruesome for people? Or is it just something that isn't suited to Minecraft? I know JadedCat has shown interest in adding this to her mudpack in 1.6.2, so it can't be simply because it is too gruesome. Guess I'll have to think how best to proceed.

If people are passing up the mod because of it's name then simply, they are stupid. The mod should be judged on its content, and from what I've seen the content is pretty good. Of course with it being a relatively new creation there is a lot of room for expansion, but it certainly looks promising so far :)

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
It's true that judging the mod solely through the name "Blood Magic" is a bad way to do things, but it is also probably not the only reason people would judge it from a modpack perspective. I've actually talked to someone on the modpack team, and they were saying that the "act of cutting yourself to gain power" seemed like it would send the wrong message. If you look simply at age 15+ people, that statement is absurd, however the pack apparently attracts mostly 5-15 year olds (his statistics, not mine), and thus would be bad for those with a pre-existing notion of harming themselves.

He is planning to talk to others about the mod, to get their opinions, but unless he were to present both sides of the arguments (I don't have much fear that he won't) they may make the same assumptions that he has. At least I met the person before, so that helps a tad. As a bit of a medium, I suggested to have a "Family-friendly" config that would change the Sacrificial Knife into a "Sacrificial Orb," which would perform the same function without visibly cutting yourself. Might be enough to get things really going, but we'll see!

(Dang, don't know if a mod has ever had to fight to get onto a modpack based not just on the mod's merits...)

As to the drawbridges/pistons/frames, it is my hope that such a system would give that sort of creativity. Sure, drawbridges would work well enough, but by providing a "blank slate" for the player, they can create a system around another system in place. So, even though the mod would give some form of system for the players to use, it would also make the player decide how they can use the system.

Yeah, I want the mod to have some set of "rules," but not be as strict as it is now to follow them. That is why I prefer to have most, if not all, things customizable for the player.