Blood Magic and Steve's Factory Manager

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
For my tier 3 orb, I made a Instant Health IV potion from blood magic, you just need to find power catalyst in a chest (In my case, I got it from a reward bag in AgS)
You will probably need Tinker's canister since it heals you 16.5 hearts.
Made it wayyyyyyy easier :D

If you happen to get a Lengthening Catalyst (instead of a Power as madnewmy got), you can go the Regen route with just 2 ghast tears also. That's what I used to make it up to a Tier 4 Orb, combined with a full set of Self-Sacrifice runes I believe, (my early failed attempts at getting out of the tier 2 stage are recorded somewhere on Padfoote's thread). It also helps out when your filling the 3/4ths of a million LP needed for a full suit of Blood Armor (24 filled sockets), as I just did that again recently for a friend, and even afking with a Ritual of the Feathered Knife/Regen combo I needed the Regen II effect I brewed into a flask to make it in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
If you happen to get a Lengthening Catalyst (instead of a Power as madnewmy got), you can go the Regen route with just 2 ghast tears also. That's what I used to make it up to a Tier 4 Orb, combined with a full set of Self-Sacrifice runes I believe, (my early failed attempts at getting out of the tier 2 stage are recorded somewhere on Padfoote's thread). It also helps out when your filling the 3/4ths of a million LP needed for a full suit of Blood Armor (24 filled sockets), as I just did that again recently for a friend, and even afking with a Ritual of the Feathered Knife/Regen combo I needed the Regen II effect I brewed into a flask to make it in a reasonable amount of time.

I have some Ghast tears now so I can more reliably set up regen systems. The feathered knife/regen combo is also very high on my list of priorities. It just feels strange getting this far into blood magic for me because still I do not have an iota of power generation in RF or MJ. Blood magic gets strangely addictive :p.

For my tier 3 orb, I made a Instant Health IV potion from blood magic, you just need to find power catalyst in a chest (In my case, I got it from a reward bag in AgS)
You will probably need Tinker's canister since it heals you 16.5 hearts.
Made it wayyyyyyy easier :D

I was lucky and in a quest to find books from in a Twilight Forest raid I managed to find some instant health potions so I managed to get my tier 3 orb. I also got nearly everything ready for the binding ritual so tier 4 is only a small way away. I should probably look into some of the alchemy though, it looks cool. Hopefully, I will find another dungeon soon and get some catalysts.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Technomancy has a blood dynamo that runs off LP so when the time comes you could just use that

Don't forget Lava Crystals in Steam Dynamos either, for a slightly(?) earlier game source of LP->RF. It's not a bad trade by the time you have a Tier 3+ Altar, but obviously gets better the as you gain more powerful Orbs & Altars.

Reactions: Padfoote

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget Lava Crystals in Steam Dynamos either, for a slightly(?) earlier game source of LP->RF. It's not a bad trade by the time you have a Tier 3+ Altar, but obviously gets better the as you gain more powerful Orbs & Altars.
I have a few of those but I am using them in metallurgy machines. I am embarrassingly low-tech :)

I found some ender lilies so I will be getting pearls soon so I can do a bit of Thaumcraft infusion. I want to get some nice Thaumcraft tools and then go mining and start techmods later. I will definitely look into a good way of exploiting LP for power when I do that (and given I will already have the lava crystals...).

I wonder if a small low pressure RC boiler will be worthwhile with lava crystals and a modest supply of LP.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I wonder if a small low pressure RC boiler will be worthwhile with lava crystals and a modest supply of LP.

With the way boilers eat fuel, make sure you have a lot of LP stored with the ability to quickly regen it. Otherwise, well, the side effects aren't the nicest. ;)

Reactions: James_Grimm

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking just a 1*1*2 or a 2^3 boiler so I won't be too upset turning it off. The only reason I am thinking about boilers is that I could potentially get more RF per Lava crystal (I already have three of those and I don't want to be crafting loads more).

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking just a 1*1*2 or a 2^3 boiler so I won't be too upset turning it off. The only reason I am thinking about boilers is that I could potentially get more RF per Lava crystal (I already have three of those and I don't want to be crafting loads more).

You could probably send this steam in a BR turbine for even more rf/LP but it needs infracstructure

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
With the way boilers eat fuel, make sure you have a lot of LP stored with the ability to quickly regen it. Otherwise, well, the side effects aren't the nicest. ;)
Well, neither is it the worst. Just don't put lava crystals in high temp furnace generators. It absorbs it all at once. Regular furnace gens get a few seconds before taking more LP.

Reactions: Padfoote

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have been doing some more tinkering on my blood altar.

I have the rituals of regen and feathered knife beneath my altar but more importantly for the purposes of this thread I have expanded my Steve's Factory Manager set up and found new and interesting uses. I also finally worked out my own button api so I have some swanky computercraft control for my blood altar.*

First things first. I moved my SFM set up so that I had more room to place the rituals and also to make everything neater. I worked out that SFM redstone receivers/emitters do not "conduct connectivity". This means that you have to run normal inventory cable alongside the redstone ones to make sure everything is connected (more expensive clusters do exist though).

Here is my first manual setup. The 2 right levers control the rituals and the 4 on left selectively allow SFM scripts that control slate recipes to run. SFM adds a redstone emitter and I am using that to suppress the rituals. The ritual master stones of each ritual have one space between them which is where I put the redstone emitter, this way one emitter can control both rituals.

2014-05-16_18.08.52.png

I made a command group for each slate (and I can make more for other recipes should I wish to) and each group has a redstone controlled trigger. On each trigger the manager checks if the altar is empty of items and has enough life essence to complete the craft and if that were the case then it would put one input item into the altar. It will also pull finished products from the altar. The two rituals are also controlled by a command group. SFM redstone was a bit tricky to get your head round, but once you get it, it is straightforward.

There is a computer under my altar too. It has a sensor wrapped to it (which I have currently unimplemented plans for) and it also has a monitor accessible from near the altar.

2014-05-16_18.02.23.png

I made buttons for all the crafting recipes I have (on the left). While a single craft is selected all of the others are automatically deselected by the computer program because it works best when only one recipe is selected. The two buttons on the right control the rituals, and each ritual can be selected and deselected independently without deselecting anything else. Unfortunately, Computercraft does not currently support any bundled redstone wires that I know of, so I had to do something special.

2014-05-16_18.05.51.png

These two computers are in modem communication with the main computer. They run the same program which basically handles redstone requests from other computers. The main computer is able to turn each SFM redstone receiver on or off via these two computers. Hopefully, MFR rednet support will be readded to computercraft soon.

2014-05-16_18.05.27.png

It looks like Howl's bedroom in Howl's Moving Castle. I have planned on using the sensor to allow the computer to suppress the rituals when no player is around.

*For some reason buttons have always been something I have never found a sensible way to code, as though there is a great big mental block in my way. Well it was more like a mental traffic jam but now the traffic has eased and I have an API that I am somewhat happy with. It is not ready to be released and it is still a bit clunky and I haven't tested it thoroughly. I don't even know how effective it will be in other programs although I hope it will do OK.

Also, when writing forum posts after a big coding session I keep accidentally typing ctrl+s

Bensa Ved

Jul 29, 2019
2 month necro, not too bad by my standards. =-)

Has anyone looked into using an ME storage bus to automate this? Like make it a sub network where the altar is the only storage available?

I haven't looked into it myself yet, but if I do I'll try to post a description.

I'm currently using Steve's Factory manager like the OP, but I'm having some trouble getting it to only make so many of each type of slate. Using so many conditionals, and making it so that it doesn't put a full stack in at a time is... complicated.