Blood Magic and Steve's Factory Manager

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have seen a lot of people semi-automate Blood Magic crafting with Translocators. I wanted to copy this but, well here comes the admission. I am a wimp and I don't like fighting mobs. Grinding for nights on end to get ender pearls is not how I want to spend my evenings.

The advantage of translocators is that it can keep only 1 crafting input in the altar at a time, helping to reduce the risk of losing life essence.

I have no pearls though, and no translocators, so I looked for alternatives. Here is what I came up with (it has advantages over the translocators method).

So far I have proved this idea with blank slates only but I can see this being easily expanded into more Blood altar recipes. You need a Machine Inventory manager and some inventory cable for Steve's factory manager.

So far I only need one cable which is hooked up as so.

2014-05-11_20.40.21.png

I have placed nearly a stack of smooth stone in the chest there. The manager checks to make sure there is no smooth stone in the altar currently and if there isn't, it checks if there is more than a bucket's worth of blood in the altar to finish the transmutation with. It removes any blank slates that appear as well.

Here is a schematic of the program

cond = condition
lcond = liquid condition
smooth = smooth stone
b = bucket

trigger #1 (1 second)
>
flow
> --- >
input(chest, 1 smooth) --- input(altar, blank slate)
> --- >
cond(altar, 1 smooth) --- output(chest, blank slate)
>false
lcond(altar, 1 b life)
>true
output(chest, smooth)

No blood is wasted because SFM won't put a smooth stone into the altar if there is not enough blood to finish the transmutation.

SFM has redstone control too so I envisage a system where you can enable a program to run via redstone so you can use the same manager to assist with the crafting of all (maybe just most*) recipes. The redstone control will ensure that conflicting programs aren't running simultaneously.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
That's more interesting than what I do :p hopper -> altar -> duct :p

How do you generate your lp?
Oh and could you use this system to create later plates from stone?(Never played with steve factory)

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Just in case you didn't know you don't need the inventory cable there. The manager block "conducts" manageability. A little bit cheaper and a bit more compact.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I like using a straw golem instead of a translocator, although I'm not sure how I did this last time. Maybe it was a fill golem core set to a precise amount?
This system seems great though, I need to start playing with SFM.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
That's more interesting than what I do :p hopper -> altar -> duct :p

How do you generate your lp?
Oh and could you use this system to create later plates from stone?(Never played with steve factory)
Padfoote has already answered this, but I would just like to confirm that his answer is correct. Since posting this, I have expanded my SFM program to include reinforced slates. I modified the original program to include a redstone conditional (and made another program almost exactly the same but for reinforced slates using the same input chest). I haven't progressed much further though. I got humiliated by trying to make a tier three blood orb too soon. I will probably have to look up some better methods. Also, right now all my LP generation is manual at a tier 3 altar with 27 self sacrifice runes and one normal rune. My issue the tier 3 blood orb makes me wonder if I should get a new strategy going soon. I am very new to blood magic though so I am learning as I go.

@Not_Steve you are of course correct in saying that the "manager block "conducts" manageability". I sort of suspected this but crafted the cables anyway. Its nice to have it confirmed though so thanks. However, I have since moved all of my cabling underneath the altar and I needed inventory cable then for access purposes. I have also started using the redstone receiver cables to control which recipe controllers are running now that I have more than one going.

I am having a couple of problems with redstone control. I am not sure if it is me but I am having a bit of trouble with the redstone functions of SFM. I am a noob with that mod too. When I have worked that out, I will look into making a more refined representation of the program which includes more detail about how to have multiple recipes supported at once.

Finally, I have noticed that I have a habit of calling slates <plates>. This is a mistake and I am correcting it as I see it.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I like using a straw golem instead of a translocator, although I'm not sure how I did this last time. Maybe it was a fill golem core set to a precise amount?
This system seems great though, I need to start playing with SFM.
That seems like a good idea too. I think I have the research (I am doing it while waiting for my health to regen a lot) but I probably don't have the resources.

Also, it looks like I am going to have to take a closer look at your guide @Padfoote . I was considering the runes of dislocation to help me make the magicians blood orb but it turns out you need that orb to craft those runes in the first place.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Also, it looks like I am going to have to take a closer look at your guide @Padfoote . I was considering the runes of dislocation to help me make the magicians blood orb but it turns out you need that orb to craft those runes in the first place.

You'll want a full self-sacrifice or sacrifice runes for that orb. If you have some form of regen, I recommend going the self-sacrifice route and hoping you don't click one too many times. If you have a large number of mobs, however, sacrificing them might be a better idea.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
You'll want a full self-sacrifice or sacrifice runes for that orb. If you have some form of regen, I recommend going the self-sacrifice route and hoping you don't click one too many times. If you have a large number of mobs, however, sacrificing them might be a better idea.
Thanks for the suggestion. I nearly have a full set of self-sacrifice runes (one short, but I have the slates, just need the glowstone). I also put ~17 buckets of life into a buildcraft tank but that proved to be useless. To be honest though I feel a bit foolish moving further forward with blood magic just now. My progress in this map has been very one sided and I barely have any resources from other mods (or even vanilla). I guess I got too excited now that I have finally reached tier 3 before getting distracted. On the bright side, all of the runes I have been making will mean that the jump to a tier 4 altar won't be too difficult once I have got a few other basic resources and worked out how to get those blood bricks. (Just worked it out now. I am not really prepared for the ritual of binding yet though but no worries, I have other things to do).

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
For my tier 3 orb, I made a Instant Health IV potion from blood magic, you just need to find power catalyst in a chest (In my case, I got it from a reward bag in AgS)
You will probably need Tinker's canister since it heals you 16.5 hearts.
Made it wayyyyyyy easier :D

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder... how would automating the altar work with applied energistics? put an interface on top, with a few recipes, and ofcourse a big altar with a good LP income...
I only wish you could configure Applied Energistics so it can only output a certain amount of items... like telling AE the altar can only have a maximum of 5 items at a time

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder... how would automating the altar work with applied energistics? put an interface on top, with a few recipes, and ofcourse a big altar with a good LP income...
I only wish you could configure Applied Energistics so it can only output a certain amount of items... like telling AE the altar can only have a maximum of 5 items at a time

Setting it to not push if item are in inventory?
And you would probably need one altar per slate or a way to turn on/off the import bus

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I've seen it done with a few import / export buses before. Of course, it was only for constant slate creation rather than on demand crafting for everything, but still.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen it done with a few import / export buses before. Of course, it was only for constant slate creation rather than on demand crafting for everything, but still.

Well that's
Import bus set to stone
Export bus set to Slate X

and some way (CC?) to stop the import bus at XYZ number of items in the altar

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Was more thinking of some way to have a max of 5 or 10 or 20 items in the altar at the time

Translocators. :p

There might be something within AE that can do that, but if there is I haven't found it yet.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have just thought of a work around for AE autocrafting with blood magic. It is just a theory so I don't know how it will work in practice but here goes. It requires a mod like remoteIO or TT transvector interface so you can have multiple points of extraction from the altar (one for each recipe) with independent redstone control (Steve's factory manager may also work).

Make a crafting recipe for 1 stone + 1 apple equals 1 slate and place the recipe into an interface that is next to a chest. Then route the apple into a unique chest and the stone to the altar. The purpose of the apple is to sit in a chest that has a comparator on it so that it emits a signal while apples are present. This signal turns the pipe responsible for extracting only blank slates from the altar. The best pipes I envisage for the job are actually buildcraft pipes (which may remove the need for comparators as well). Another feature of the gates is that they can detect when an item passes through a tube. You can use this mechanic to emit a signal every time a blank slate passes through on its way back to the ME interface after being crafted. This pulse will trigger an autarchic gate to extract one apple, meaning that after every slate has been crafted and passed through the gate, every apple will have been removed too.

Adding to this setup requires making a new recipe (say blank slates + carrots = reinforced slates) and adding a new unique control chest and extending the same redstone logic to it.

This would be simplified a hell of a lot if you could tell AE to emit a redstone signal only while a recipe is being requested. This signal could be expressed at single level emitter perhaps. That might be a decent feature request for Algo