biomes o plenty vs extrabiomes xl

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
GO...

Do any of you use BOTH of these?

Do any of you prefer one over the other?

Have you found any caveats to either?

I currently have ExtraBiomes XL with underground biomes, but was thinking of removing them both and putting in biomes'o'plenty bc they look nicer....

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I only run ExtraBiomes, mostly because it's included in the pack and coming from vanilla they look pretty good to me.

I've also looked at Biomes'o'plenty, but I'm not quite sure why I decided against using it.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone find out how easily these two would smash together?

How much config fenagaling. would need to happen?

Tsukasa

Jul 29, 2019
This looks a lot better than ExtraBiomes! Not a big fan of new dimensions, but it's definitely a good competitor for ExtraBiomes.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Added BoP to DW20 pack to replace EXBL. It's amazing. Such better quality, variation and attention to detail. I've only disabled 2 biomes (Garden and Origin Valley) compared to the 5 or 6 that I've disabled in EXBL.

Installing is quite simple. Edit TwilightForest Config file, and add 100 to it's Biome ID numbers. That'll avoid conflicting with BoP.

Only biome I get a major FPS hit in is now Deadlands, due to Lava, Burning Grass and particle effect from Ash ground.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I also like the Redrock a lot.
But i don't like that XB:XL adds to much snow and ice stuff (yes can be disabled)

But i will look into biomes o plenty.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You won't be dissapointed, although I've yet to find a BoP Redrock mountain range. There's so many new biomes, I think I've only discovered half. Even better, you get mystcraft pages for them, so you might be able to make an age for those biomes you cannot find.

You will get fewer villages though, as it sticks to the vanilla rules of generation, EXBL overrides the need for a flat area for the village. If BoP merges with EXBL or gains future development, I hope BoP will do the same with villages.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I always disable village generation in biomes that make no sense for it... No villages in mountain jungle thingy oh no.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Same. I disabled a couple in EXBL. There isn't that level of control in BoP though. I think I've only found 3 villages in a 2km radius, one in a woodland, one in an apple orchard and one in a snowy biome of some description.
I do like how EXBL forces villages to generate in uneven terrain, can result in some interesting layouts.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
This looks a lot better than ExtraBiomes! Not a big fan of new dimensions, but it's definitely a good competitor for ExtraBiomes.
I think that's a potentially huge reason why it's not included in FTB. I mean, with all the Mystcraft and TF and Nether dimensions, stuff can get a bit out of hand! :p

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You guys should also take a look at:
Highlands
Pretty much identical to BoP, although some unique biomes. Also seems to limit to few new textures/blocks ideal for players that need a "lite" mod. BoP does add a lot of new blocks, many of which would be classed as void material if you were doing automated mining.[DOUBLEPOST=1364221621][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think that's a potentially huge reason why it's not included in FTB. I mean, with all the Mystcraft and TF and Nether dimensions, stuff can get a bit out of hand! :p
Well, it's only one dimension, and it's more of an "end game" reward place if you class killing a wither as end game.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much identical to BoP, although some unique biomes. Also seems to limit to few new textures/blocks ideal for players that need a "lite" mod. BoP does add a lot of new blocks, many of which would be classed as void material if you were doing automated mining.[DOUBLEPOST=1364221621][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, it's only one dimension, and it's more of an "end game" reward place if you class killing a wither as end game.
Ah, that's pretty neat. I mean, I'm actually okay with it and would love to try it out (which I might do right now and add it to my test pack), but I just thought other people might have problems with it. Thanks for the info, I think I'll go download it now.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
No prob. Just remember to edit your Twilight Forest Biome IDs, otherwise you'll get TF biomes in the overworld. Depending on your tastes you may wish to disable Garden and Origin Valley biomes. Garden is too fantasy/cartoony, and Origin is suppose to look like original Minecraft. Both stick out when looking for a "natural" world.

If I recall, you need to craft 3 pieces of a staff (one piece requires the nether star), combine them together, then when you use it, makes a portal at 0,32,0. Not tested it myself, on my todo list as I'm working on Misa style textures.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
The three big BIOME authors really need to start talking and coding together. One massive biome mod with options of what bioms to turn on/off and other things would be something really great for Minecraft. Another thing that should be in the default MC map creation options.

If I had to choose one, BOP is the best. For people the love the Mars terrain of the redrock, BoP add three similar; Mesa, Crag and Canyon.

While Im on the subject.; dear vanilla mc: hurry the hell up and fill the oceans with stuff.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
While Im on the subject.; dear vanilla mc: hurry the @#!*% up and fill the oceans with stuff.
It's not going to happen, unless they dedicate an entire update to fish mobs in the ocean. they still won't change that water isn't H20 and rather some weird blue good that blinds you (thankfully optifine exists) and water makes you incredibly slow.
I doubt they'd make oceans worthwhile though, unless we get vanilla armor that gives you more oxygen. They'll give us bats because those are just great eh?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Added BoP to DW20 pack to replace EXBL. It's amazing. Such better quality, variation and attention to detail. I've only disabled 2 biomes (Garden and Origin Valley) compared to the 5 or 6 that I've disabled in EXBL.

Installing is quite simple. Edit TwilightForest Config file, and add 100 to it's Biome ID numbers. That'll avoid conflicting with BoP.

Only biome I get a major FPS hit in is now Deadlands, due to Lava, Burning Grass and particle effect from Ash ground.

Do be a bit circumspect here though. I've heard though that Underground Biomes is going to merge with ExtraBiomes XL. That's exceptionally awesome. Barring a few ExtraBees & Xenos Reliquary bugs, it's a really awesome mod.