Big Reactors Data for 1.7.10 (WIP)

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
All the existing spreadsheets I've seen to this point seem incomplete or based on old versions, so thought I'd do a bit of testing. Using Big Reactors v0.4.0rc10 (shipped with DW20 1.0.1) Just getting started on this project, but I have the data for output and efficiency (with various coolants) for 3x3x3 and 5x5x5 passive reactors: http://bit.ly/1BKydJo
Using the stock configs that shipped with the DW20 1.0.1 : http://bit.ly/1yQf42T

Note that while Cryotheum produces both the highest total output and the most fuel efficient designs, Resonant Ender has results nearly as good, but for less hassle. My opinion is that it's worth the 70 RF/t penalty to only have to place 4 buckets of ender, vs 12 buckets of cryotheum. Also, the fuel efficiency difference would only be significant if Yellorite (and ore dictionary equivalents) were severely nerfed from stock. [Edit: Cryotheum becomes significantly better in 7x7x7 sizes and up]

Edit: Added 7x7x7 data. Highlighted 'Editors Choice' for each size. Measurements made with Resonant Ender, used Cryotheum for best performer only.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ive been doing some testing myself, I have never built a turbine before but want to this time around. Brinkthegamer's video on the subject was also very helpful, wish I had watched it first. In a nutshell what I have learned is that eight cores in a three high reactor creates enough steam for a maxed out turbine. The hardest part is getting the water flow rate high enough. Extra utilities transfer nodes are the popular solution but its so sloppy. I installed the Pressure Pipes mod to compensate for BR's missing features.

One of the things that Brink got wrong in his video or has changed since he made it is the narrowness of the turbine. 4 rows of ten blades putputs the same amount of RF as one with ten rows of four blades. And four small turbines with 20 blades outputs the same in total as a big one would. Which is probably what I am going to do.

Oh and adding more than 37 coil blocks seems to slow the turbines down making it impossible to reach 1800rpm.

Reactions: Bagman817

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't made a turbine in 1.7.10 yet, that's probably not going to happen for a few days at least. In 1.6.4, the solution to water flow was a tesseract directly on the input/output ports of the reactor and turbine (once the reactor has been filled with water once), as tesseracts, unlike fluiducts, had no internal throughput ceiling. Has that been changed in 1.7.10? I'll admit it was possibly a bit unbalanced :p

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Mine is still up to date. There is no difference between version 0.3 and 0.4. Its just an update from 1.6.4 to 1.7.10. Nothing more, nothing less. For discussion and more (up to date) information check my forum post.

From that the following still stands:

Skyqula said:
Cooling:
  • Ender is the best outside coolant. More layers of coolant is better. More layers Significantly reduces block efficiency. Max 4 layers on the outside.
  • Outside coolant layers bigger then 1 should consist of the outer most layer of resonant ender and the inner layers of cryotheum.
  • Cryotheum is the best coolant inbetween rods. 1 coolant between each rod is best. In some smaller/cooler designs Graphite can be better.
  • Coolants are needed inside an actively cooled reactor, the cooling effects actually stack!
  • Coolant is not needed in area's where radiation does not travel (see radiation). So the corners can be annything you want.
Theoretical best:
  • As big as you can build it. Keep the rod's as square as possible for maximum efficiency. IE: 15x15x7 has a 5x5x5 core of fuel rods, 8 layers of coolant and 2 for the casing.
  • One big block of fuel rods "dotted" with crytheum. Aka, 1 crytheum completly surrounded in fuel rods.
  • Suggested 4 layers of coolant between Fuel Rods and casing. 3 layers of Cryotheum and the outermost layer of resonant ender.
Radiation:
  • Higher levels of radiation is better. Produced in fuel rods. Travels upto 4 blocks in north/east/south/west direction (Not diagonal or up/down).
  • To more fuel rods inside that 4 block area, to higher the radition level inside a reactor.
  • The higher the radiation the less fuel used.
Temperature:
  • Lower is better. Ideal ~200 Degrees. Aslong as this is under 1000 degrees then Radiation is more important.
  • After ~1000 Degrees reactor efficiency drops significantly. If you only got 1 coolant layer then adding additional coolant layers will help you out here.
  • Steam stored inside the reactor increases reactor temperature, PUMP IT ALL OUT. Alternatively, adjust fuel rod insertion to lower steam production
  • Bigger reactors will eventually go well over 1000 and even 2000 degrees. This is because of the amount of heat generated from coolants absorbing it.
Rod Control:
  • Reduces reactor temperature, radiation, fuel efficiency, steam production and fuel consumption.
  • Can be used to tweak superior reactor designs to match desired steam output.
  • Can be used to increase fuel efficiency. Certain reactor setups have better efficiency when controlled down.

This part: "Rod Control: Certain reactor setups have better efficiency when controlled down. " is probably the most important part to understand when looking for efficient reactors. As all passive cooled reactors are actually significantly more efficient when controlled down. Its only active reactors that can realy go all out.

As for coolants: A good page to take a look at as far as cooling goes is this one. It shows the datamined properties of coolants. Including the 4 important stats to look at: Absorption, Heat efficiency, moderation and thermal conductivity. For a quick explanation:

Skyqula said:
  • There are 2 types of radiation, fast and slow.
  • slow radiation can be absorbed by coolands. How much is determined by its absorbion stat.
  • Absorbing radiation generates heat wich is used to calculate RF/t or steam/t. A high heat efficiency is obviously good to have.
  • Fast radiation can be slowed down. How well is determined by its moderation stat.
  • Coolants next to a rod cool the reactor down. All that matters is the number of rod sides are connected to coolants. Build a 2x2 rod with coolant all around has 8 exposed sides. Fluids next to a rod should have a high heat conductivity.
  • Slow radiation passing trough a fuel rod increases a reactors radiation level and in turn reduces fuel burnup.
As you can see there are a few things you can play around with. But generally this is what it comes down to:
  • Cryotheum is good at cooling with a high heat conductivity
  • Cryotheum is the best moderater
  • Cryotheum has the highest heat efficiency
  • Enderium has the highest absorbtion
  • Enderium has the highest absorbtion * heat efficiency
  • Graphite blocks have nearly no absorbtion
Taking the above aswell as knowing that radiation travels a maximum of 4 blocks we get:
  • Cryotheum between fuel rods. Graphite is a close second (better in some cases).
  • 3 layers of cryotheum between rods and casing. Absorbs most radiation with the highest efficiency.
  • 1 layer of resonant ender between casing and cryotheum. Last block radiation can be absorbed.

Ive been doing some testing myself, I have never built a turbine before but want to this time around. Brinkthegamer's video on the subject was also very helpful, wish I had watched it first. In a nutshell what I have learned is that eight cores in a three high reactor creates enough steam for a maxed out turbine. The hardest part is getting the water flow rate high enough. Extra utilities transfer nodes are the popular solution but its so sloppy. I installed the Pressure Pipes mod to compensate for BR's missing features.

One of the things that Brink got wrong in his video or has changed since he made it is the narrowness of the turbine. 4 rows of ten blades putputs the same amount of RF as one with ten rows of four blades. And four small turbines with 20 blades outputs the same in total as a big one would. Which is probably what I am going to do.

As for a turbine, a 7x7x17 turbine with 4, 8 block coils of ludicrum and 80 blades produces ~27800 RF/t and consumes 2B/t. Its about as efficient as it gets, both in space required aswell as ouput. You can build multiple smaller ones, but all you do is increase the cost of making them as you need more walls. Wich is also why turbines are build small and long, less walls.

Another usefull tip for you:A turbine will convert all steam back to water without anny loss. Meaning you only need to fill the reactr with water once and you will never have to do it again. Just make sure you extract the steam/water fast enough or set the turbine to never fent fluids.

Last edited:

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I'm currently using a 9x9x3 actively cooled reactor with a 3x3x1 fuel rod core (9 fuel rods in a solid block) surrounded by 2 layers of cryothium, but I haven't done any testing to see how it compares to the checkerboard layout. The 7x7x16 turbine has 80 blades & 4 full enderium coils (32 blocks). I just switched from Extra Utilities transfer nodes with 32 speed upgrades each to tesseracts. All the multipliers in the configs are still set to 1.0. Here is a screen cap of the relevant GUIs & of the whole set-up. The plan is to wrap EnderIO capacitor banks around the entire gap between the reactor & turbine, leaving an access into the center where all the controls are.

10731145_10204258646539673_6193388126075506005_n.jpg

1496732_10204258646379669_3781072678819631710_n.jpg

Reactions: MigukNamja

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Its not too hard to make a reactor that outputs enough steam per tick for a max speed turbine. The problem is that excess steam building up in the reactor causes it to get hot and lose efficiency, which is more important when you have 4x fuel burn rates like I do. Ive been trying to figure out a way to get rid of it. Ive tuned my reactor to be as close to 2000mb without going over but that only delays the inevitable, sooner or later the internal buffer in the reactor gets full and the heat rises. Ive tried siphoning off a tiny extra bit of steam with the low grade enderIO conduits but that just ends up robbing steam from the turbine. The only thing that worked for me is having a buffer tank to store the steam, which eventually gets full and needs to be gotten rid of. I dont often use buildcraft gates but I think I will have to to automate the emptying process.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Your problem is trying to supply a constant 2000 mB/t when a reactor can never produce that. A reactor builds up waste wich reduces the output of a reactor. What you realy need to do is make sure that when your reactor has zero waste it doesnt go over 2000mB/t. This means that your turbine will not maintain a constant speed, wich is fine. You can calculate the effect of waste by taking the number of fuel rods you have and dividing that by 4 (*100%). So for a single fuel rod your power output is going to fluctuate by 1/4*100% = 25%. For 20 fuel rods its 1/20*100% = 5%

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Your problem is trying to supply a constant 2000 mB/t when a reactor can never produce that. A reactor builds up waste wich reduces the output of a reactor. What you realy need to do is make sure that when your reactor has zero waste it doesnt go over 2000mB/t. This means that your turbine will not maintain a constant speed, wich is fine. You can calculate the effect of waste by taking the number of fuel rods you have and dividing that by 4 (*100%). So for a single fuel rod your power output is going to fluctuate by 1/4*100% = 25%. For 20 fuel rods its 1/20*100% = 5%

Good thinking! I kind of forgot about the way waste slows things down.

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
You may want to change the title to be DW 1.7 specific since DW has stated that RF per ingot is too high and will be nerfed (unless you plan on not updated OR changing back your configs)

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
You may want to change the title to be DW 1.7 specific since DW has stated that RF per ingot is too high and will be nerfed (unless you plan on not updated OR changing back your configs)
I plan on not updating. Dire's change is an across the board fuel nerf, and does not impact the relative efficiency of reactor designs, merely the absolute efficiency numbers.

Yijare

Jul 29, 2019
sooo.. what is the best 9 x9 x X reactor layout to pump out 4000 mB steam or more per tick?

as the wiki says like nothing about it and i'm really confused

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
sooo.. what is the best 9 x9 x X reactor layout to pump out 4000 mB steam or more per tick?

(dumb question)Why? would you be running multiple turbines with this? Aren't the turbines rate limited to 2k steam/t?(/dumbquestion)

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

From the spreadsheet posted in the fourth post on this page. From the tab interesting reactors there is a 9x9x3. Set controll rods to 39% and you should get 4000mB/t

Yijare

Jul 29, 2019
(dumb question)Why? would you be running multiple turbines with this? Aren't the turbines rate limited to 2k steam/t?(/dumbquestion)
yes and yes they are, but running mfr mining lasers with them requiere a bit more than the 21k RF/t i can extract from one

From the spreadsheet posted in the fourth post on this page. From the tab interesting reactors there is a 9x9x3. Set controll rods to 39% and you should get 4000mB/t

well... the sheet does not tell me if i can go above the 3 layers ... =/ as 4B was the target for now, but will be expanded to support 4 of the turbines and may be more of them

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
yes and yes they are, but running mfr mining lasers with them requiere a bit more than the 21k RF/t i can extract from one

well... the sheet does not tell me if i can go above the 3 layers ... =/ as 4B was the target for now, but will be expanded to support 4 of the turbines and may be more of them

So keep building it up? :D Each layer can produce the same amount. The bonus for making bigger reactors is that your fuel efficiency goes up (IE fuel consumption goes down). Other then that, nothing realy changes.

Yijare

Jul 29, 2019
then i'm doing it way wrong in my testworld, but well, let's see i i can power them up

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I still haven't been able to work out how to increase / decrease the control by 1% at a time.
How do I set control rods to 39% it only goes up and down by 10% unless I doing something wrong.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I still haven't been able to work out how to increase / decrease the control by 1% at a time.
How do I set control rods to 39% it only goes up and down by 10% unless I doing something wrong.
Ctl-alt-shift click will reduce them all by 1%