Big Reactor Rotor question.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
The Question is this.

Am I doing it right?

4cbef82409.png

Try to understand I'm new to this mod and I don't know what information is relevant. Tell me what information you need and I'll get it.

Please explain like I'm five.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
That reactor is quite inefficient. Try filling it with cryotheum or resonant ender. Or at the very least, water(The other two work a lot better, but are obviously expensive). The turbines however are fine.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is those rotors aren't going at more than 510RPM. One of the rotors aren't going higher than half of that.

I checked, I'm making more steam than I'm using and I've got two Fluid Export Busses on both.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Try using tesseracts to draw the steam out of the reactor and insert into the turbines(tesseract right on the fluid/coolant ports). I've had issues with Extra cells fluid export buses not being able to keep up before.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Try using tesseracts to draw the steam out of the reactor and insert into the turbines(tesseract right on the fluid/coolant ports). I've had issues with Extra cells fluid export buses not being able to keep up before.
I've just done both, They seem to be speeding up a fair bit, I'll let you know if something happens.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is those rotors aren't going at more than 510RPM. One of the rotors aren't going higher than half of that.

I checked, I'm making more steam than I'm using and I've got two Fluid Export Busses on both.
No piping that I know of can handle the steam transit. Your best bet is tesseracts or just placing the turbine directly beside the reactor and letting the fluid ports touch each other both ways, so you get all the steam losslessly and get most water back. Would still reccomend an extra water input in the reactor.

Also, for each 25 mb/t of steam your reactor makes, use a single paddle of the turbine rotor. This as far as I know gives the most efficiency, steam/tick divided by 25 = number of rotor paddles.

Reactions: Fyuiy and Succubism

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm pipes are useless for steam as well as fluid export/import busses. Tesseracts have gotten both turbines at a steady 1100 RPM.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
If you decide to fill it with cryothenium,and place thm right next to each other, then do not do a 7 wide, 7 tall turbine, because snow can form inside the turbine causing malfunctions.

There was a mod whitch basicly did "compressed" fluid transport. I can't remember the name of this mod, and i can't find it again. The only reason why i dropped it before that it did not used power. But now i wish i could find it again. That might work as an alternative transport.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Actively cooled reactors are unaffected by coolants inside the reactor multiblock as far as I know. I made a mistake the first time and put destabilized redstone inside and actively cooled one, to literally no effect.

I can confirm pipes are useless for steam as well as fluid export/import busses. Tesseracts have gotten both turbines at a steady 1100 RPM.

1100 RPM is bad, anything far from 900 or 1800 RPM is inefficient and losing power.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Do you believe you are steam-throttled to 1100rpm, or do you believe you are throughput (pipe/tesseract) limited ?

Also, have you tried getting 1 reactor to 1800rpm ? If you want to quickly ramp up the turbine and not wait (as long) for it to get to full speed, you can use the "clutch" feature in the turbine GUI to disengage the coils. It's the pair of buttons next to the coil, just above the three(3) bucket buttons.

And, if you *are* using all of the steam and don't want to make your reactor bigger to make more steam, you will have to adjust the coils. Slightly more coils will stabilize around 900rpm and removing a lot of coils will allow it to spin to 1800rpm. Coils turn kinetic energy into RF energy, acting as a brake/resistance to the rotation of the shaft.

You probably already knew all that, just being complete with my explanation.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Actively cooled reactors are unaffected by coolants inside the reactor multiblock as far as I know. I made a mistake the first time and put destabilized redstone inside and actively cooled one, to literally no effect.

1100 RPM is bad, anything far from 900 or 1800 RPM is inefficient and losing power.

They can produce more steam if cooled well. Benefit will vary depending on how hot it runs without coolant. As the rods get hotter it begins to impact the reactivity which will cut steam.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
They can produce more steam if cooled well. Benefit will vary depending on how hot it runs without coolant. As the rods get hotter it begins to impact the reactivity which will cut steam.

Huh, I didn't know that. I suspected that, but didn't know that.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia

You need to pay attention to the core temp vs. the casing temp. Without coolant, the core temp is much higher. With gelid chryothium, the 2 temps are almost equal, letting you run the reactor at a lower temp (& thereby using less fuel per tick). The steam output depends on the casing temp & the water flow rate. The fuel efficiency depends on the # & arrangement of fuel rods & the core temp.

Reactions: Skyqula

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

Thats probably because you didnt know what to look for and because you where using a bad coolant. Try gelid cryotheum between cores and resonant ender between casing and cores. The most important benefit from cooling is increased fuel efficiency. But, if you cool with sufficient coolants you will also see quite a significant increase in steam output.

If you want to know more about coolants and there effects you could take a look at this spreadsheet of mine: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1df7-8OqdOeWppfr1xZsV5eFqBWUeGGvtyQ6e1agJN2s/edit?usp=sharing
Do note that there is alot of information there and its been a while since I cleaned it up.

Got the mod what i mentioned:
http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/221214-pressure-pipes

This mod handles a closed system whith no additional water being pumped in.

Big Reactors is already a closed system. All you need is the initial startup water. Once the system is running, no extra water is needed at all. Because all water gets converted to steam in the reactor and back to water in the turbine, no loss!

Try checking out this video and it's related ones. I think they might help.

Quite a good starter video, however:
  • It shows actively cooled Reactors without coolants. The coolant effects of coolants and active cooling stack! Allowing for significantly better designs that would otherwise run way to hot.
  • It does not mention that once the actively cooled reactor to turbine setup is running its a closed system that no longer needs water. It also does not mention tesseracts as superior fluid transport.
  • It shows tall Reactors. While it looks cool, its actually not the most efficient way to build a reactor. Flat reactors are more fuel efficient because of the way the radiation mechanic works.