Big Reactor Efficiency and Explotions?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Interestingly, Gregtech makes this easier to achieve, as you can grow diamonds on cropsticks.

Really, though, risk is fun. I would love to see a (maybe non-default) config option to allow explosions under the right conditions.

Also, between Yellorite, IC², and Rotarycraft, powering this thing in packs that haven't had Uranium gen deconflicted is trivial.

@Eyamaz , I'm sure it's tricky, but would you consider using configs to limit spawns of these three ores to the total spawn rate for one mod's worth, or disable 2 of 3 (on the presumption that the 3rd is compatible with Yellowrite, Uranium, and Pitchblende)? I'm positively swimming in them (especially pitchblende), due in large part I think to Meteorcraft (which I hope derives its compositions proportionately from spawns as they are in the dimensions the meteors come from). I hope that Endstone Meteors can be reduced in frequency as well, since they are the main offender of my massive stockpile of Pitchblende.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Interestingly, Gregtech makes this easier to achieve, as you can grow diamonds on cropsticks.

Really, though, risk is fun. I would love to see a (maybe non-default) config option to allow explosions under the right conditions.

Also, between Yellorite, IC², and Rotarycraft, powering this thing in packs that haven't had Uranium gen deconflicted is trivial.

@Eyamaz , I'm sure it's tricky, but would you consider using configs to limit spawns of these three ores to the total spawn rate for one mod's worth, or disable 2 of 3 (on the presumption that the 3rd is compatible with Yellowrite, Uranium, and Pitchblende)? I'm positively swimming in them (especially pitchblende), due in large part I think to Meteorcraft (which I hope derives its compositions proportionately from spawns as they are in the dimensions the meteors come from). I hope that Endstone Meteors can be reduced in frequency as well, since they are the main offender of my massive stockpile of Pitchblende.
The meteors use the ore dictionary; they have absolutely no way of knowing which ores should be rare, or what levels they should generate in, and so on.

O

OttisticOtters

One time I built a reactor teleported away and tped back my whole reactor was sliced in half it was the weirdest thing

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Well implemented risk and destruction is a lot of fun and can really make a game/mechanic shine. Sadly I don't think this is something we'll see coming to BR;
Someone suggested [on Reddit] explosions as a disabled by default option. The negative response from the BR community was rather excessive and [in places] outright toxic.
At the end of the day its different designs for different people/groups; if everything were the same life would get pretty boring. BR (any mod) doesn't [and shouldn't] have to cater for everybody.

Last edited:

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Someone suggested [on Reddit] explosions as a disabled by default option. The negative response from the BR community was rather excessive and [in places] outright toxic.
Surprise. BR is the go-to mod for free infinite energy with no risks or costs.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Surprise. BR is the go-to mod for free infinite energy with no risks or costs.

MFR + BR = Easy infinite energy.

Both mods are basically the Easy Button, IMO. I'd go on, but the necromancy disuades me.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Yesterday I tried a bit with BigReactors and I think that it’s a very nice and cheep way to get RF.

I tried a 4x4x4 Reactor making 1800 RF/t and an 20x20x20 doing 11000 RF/t.

Both done with a chess pattern of water/reactor coil.

It seems it does not use up to much Fuel. I think if you have a Quarry running and export the Yellorium into the Reactor it should easily keep up together with the recycled Ingot from BR.

I could not find any info about how to setup this reactors self-sustaining (if possible) or how the waste is produced. Or when they explode.

I saw a Spotlight and the guy say they will eventually explode. But my 20x20x20 water cooled Reactor was at 6,5K Heat for like 15 mins and it did not explode. But before I put this under my base I want to be sure.

Thx for the info

The advice for Big Reactors (in the past, I haven't really been playing much Minecraft in 2016) was to avoid building vertically. Build horizontally instead. The 20x20x20 reactor is not efficient because the 20-height isn't giving you as much power output as you would get if you turned the 20x20x20 into something more like 40x40x5tall.

But I'm not expert on the mod, just someone who has played modded Minecraft for a long time and has some experience with various mods. You could do an experiment yourself, with smaller size reactors to save yourself some time building them. Compare your 4x4x4 with an 8x8x2, for instance, and see which one gives more power output. It should be the 8x8x2 (use checkerboard layout for each) if my experience is accurate.

And of course, the best way to increase your power output is to put the best coolant (Gelid Cryotheum, usually) in between the checkerboard'ed fuel rods, and then place up to three layers (three rings around the checkerboard) of resonant ender. Usually the third layer doesn't give you much power, two surrounding "rings" of resonant ender is usually sufficient.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just thought I would point out that this is a two year+ old necro thread.
I don't think people are still looking for answers :p

Reactions: Physicist and acker

Bog Reaper

Sep 23, 2019
Sept 23rd 2019, I came here looking for answers and found them..

Thanks all that contributed to the thread.

Peace