Better Than A Let's Play (Monster) - It Doesn't Have to Hurt

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Hello! I'm Enigmius, and I've got one of the longest running FTB-related youtube series you'll find here on the forums. I started with the FTB BETAA pack and I'm currently focused on the Monster pack and my Better Than A Let's Play series.

The "Better Than A Let's Play" series is my attempt to produce content that avoids the things that drive me nuts when I see them in other videos (and some of my earlier work.) With that in mind, you can expect to see the following:

- More aggressive editing. You shouldn't have to sit through 5 minutes of dull for every 30 seconds of cool.
- A goal for every episode. That goal may not always be to finish something, but it will be to present you with something that makes sense to include in an episode.
- Liberal use of time lapse footage. Accelerated footage from wider angles than would be possible with normal first person recording makes for more interesting builds.
- Interesting builds. It's not all about the machines. Extensive use of microblocks to smooth choppy edges along with lots of curves and angles to break up the cubic/rectangular world we know so well.

Here are some of my videos:

Season 2 of Better Than A Let's Play has begun, this time featuring the Monster pack:

My first holiday themed video (the preceding two episodes in the playlist show the build, this video was purely for the fun.)

Other playlists:

Builder's Guide to Feed the Beast:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAhfgAyOliPB_mOkOOuvPrxbBu4zgccvF

Ultimate Feed the Beast Reloaded:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAhfgAyOliPC_UqZ4Xt2it-8GCs3pibqI

Last edited:

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Updated with embed for episode 11, which is part one of the Interdimensional Freight Transport Mini-Series.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Updated with embed for episode 12, which starts in on a brief overview of RailCraft. The goal over the next 2-3 episodes will be to cover everything you need to know to create a functional rail system to transfer items, liquids, and energy from the overworld to other dimensions (ie. Nether, Twilight Forest, MystCraft Ages).

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Updated with episode 13, which illustrates how to set up portals on railroad tracks to direct carts to and from alternate dimensions.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Updated with episode 14: Traffic Control for Mine Carts, which shows how to set up a simple system for detecting carts and diverting traffic. Good for setting up supply networks with multiple carts sharing the same primary lines.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Updated with episode 15, which was supposed to be just a brief episode about Steve's Carts but I was having too much fun and then we used our new mining cart to dig a big diagonal hole.

HickDead

Jul 29, 2019
I think you make great video's! I'm no beginner but you inspire me to do things different and smarter and you manage to learn me something I didn't know in every episode. Looking forward to your sorting system episode!
Keep it up!

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I think you make great video's! I'm no beginner but you inspire me to do things different and smarter and you manage to learn me something I didn't know in every episode. Looking forward to your sorting system episode!
Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm taking the weekend off from making videos to get my facilities caught up and ready for the next one, so the first process/sorting video should be up early this upcoming week :D

HickDead

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm very busy with your advise to "centralize" power systems. I was the kind of guy who had solar panels and watermill systems in every corner. I'm very content with your method and just tap in to the infrastructure and expand the core power systems. And on your point about factorization, it is a original mod but not my cup of tea either. Except the barrels! I highly recommend it to integrated it in your auto sorting/crafting area's. I keep in touch!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Enigmius you have strange ways of doing things lol :D filters everywhere, build a sorting machine and paint your pipes, it's much easier :D . Also like the comment I posted on your latest video use Relays to empty TE machines, then you don't need the Retriever and the Relay pushes the item out. You can also use 1 Relay to empty 2 TE machines by putting the Relay in between them and setting the outputs on the TE machines to the relevant side. This has an added advantage with dual outputs like the Pulverisor, set the output orange and you empty 4 slots in 2 TE machines (much like the buffer) and the Relay pushes them out.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Enigmius you have strange ways of doing things lol :D filters everywhere, build a sorting machine and paint your pipes, it's much easier :D . Also like the comment I posted on your latest video use Relays to empty TE machines, then you don't need the Retriever and the Relay pushes the item out. You can also use 1 Relay to empty 2 TE machines by putting the Relay in between them and setting the outputs on the TE machines to the relevant side. This has an added advantage with dual outputs like the Pulverisor, set the output orange and you empty 4 slots in 2 TE machines (much like the buffer) and the Relay pushes them out.

I disagree that sorting machines are easier. I've done lots of sorting systems with sorting machines.

A relay between two machines doesn't work in this situation, because the machines are, by design, directly next to each other. You can't call the system compact if you double the space requirement for the machines to accommodate relays. More to the point, King Lemming was kind enough to outline an alternative to buffers/relays that I'll be highlighting in the next episode.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The Relay in between was merely an example in your setup you'd put one beneath each pulverisor and do away with the retriever, the need for blulectric and the need for another timer.

But like always each to their own :)

HickDead

Jul 29, 2019
Very easy way! Thanks for those tips!

What is your opinion on biofuel? It seems cheap. But, the amount of work/space that goes in a self sustaining system! Treefarms, squeezer and so on. Is it worth it in your opinion?