Best ways to automate Herba production

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Did anyone tried wooden transport pipes ? There is 1 arbor and 1 potentia in it.

You can use the potentia with furnaces to make free alumentum and you can centrifuge your arbor to get cheap herba.
That's pretty clever, seeing as neither of the resources wooden transport pipes use are hard to get or even that hard to automate production of. That said, Netherwart or go home.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Did anyone tried wooden transport pipes ? There is 1 arbor and 1 potentia in it.

You can use the potentia with furnaces to make free alumentum and you can centrifuge your arbor to get cheap herba.

A cunning solution, I hadn't thought of that.

004.jpg

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

That's an interesting solution. However, the pipes require glass, and while there's enough sand around, I don't mine near the surface often enough to consider it a non-issue.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
That's an interesting solution. However, the pipes require glass, and while there's enough sand around, I don't mine near the surface often enough to consider it a non-issue.

Underground you will find you have ready access to cobblestone. And then your glass is only one pulverization and one smelting away.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Underground you will find you have ready access to cobblestone. And then your glass is only one pulverization and one smelting away.
Yes. However, that's an additional production step, which pushes the number of production steps to get this done to three. This is a disadvantage compared to methods that use only unprocessed farming products. For some, it may be significant enough to forego the alumentum.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. However, that's an additional production step, which pushes the number of production steps to get this done to three. This is a disadvantage compared to methods that use only unprocessed farming products. For some, it may be significant enough to forego the alumentum.

It isn't bad if you want to skip farming. 1 pulveriser and 1 red stone furnace take less space than netherwart farm. Coble stone is always available. If you have a tree farm then that's a solution to skip netherwart farming.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
A cunning solution, I hadn't thought of that.

004.jpg
Except I was completly mistaken. What I scanned was a wooden kinetic pipe. And it was not even arbor after all, it was machina. No free potentia for me. So... I'm just an idiot.

Edit: one could still centrifuge arbor from sticks in guess. but that doesnt sound as good now :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Except I was completly mistaken. What I scanned was a wooden kinetic pipe. And it was not even arbor after all, it was machina. No free potentia for me. So... I'm just an idiot.
Figured, but good on you for point this out. So, back to using Netherwart for Herba, everyone?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
^ Thart

Golems can harvest netherwort as can an MFR harvester. Even split of herba for the lamp of growth and praecantatio which is used in LOADS of crucible and infusion altar recipes.

The hardest bit of automating this I found was automating the alumentum production to run the alchemical furnace without oversight. Use coal to start with but later you'll want to speed things along like a boss.

If the alchemic crucible has no place to put the alumentum, does it stop production? i.e. If you threw a barrel in front of it, and the barrel was full, would the crucible stop producing? That could be one way to try and achieve a certain amount of alumentum.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
if you have the seeds, earth and water element crops from magical crops can be used to produce leaf blocks. couple that with a coal crop and you can keep a furnace running indefinitely. to harvest, ive done automation with dispensers where you flood the crop tiles with water, and you get all the additional crop drops, like nature essence and weak essence. use a redstone timer to time the crop flooding, use some lamps of growth to speed things up...not hard to set up. nature essence can be used to produce vines, additional source of herba ;)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I don't understand the role of the lilypads in this setup. And what's that particle effect on them?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah, the Lilypads of Fertility are just to speed growth and are completely optional.
I see. To think of the wasted opportunity....my cane farm has lilypads on the water for my golems to walk on. I guess I can now cut the size of the farm by 75%...

4oursword

Jul 29, 2019
I see. To think of the wasted opportunity....my cane farm has lilypads on the water for my golems to walk on. I guess I can now cut the size of the farm by 75%...
They are fairly expensive to make, needing potion stuff, but they force growth ticks, so they work with Magical Crops.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Rotarycraft is in Horizons, and I believe that with Silk Touch on it, the wood cutter can harvest leaves. Admittedly, getting Silk Touch without MFR is a pain in the neck, but there you.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
All good ideas. I got the mana bean farm going with two golems and I also put a lamp of growth here which I manually (for now) supplied with herba. I need to have automatic charcoal production for the alembic surface. I can do that with the woodcutter I suppose. And then two other golems for the netherwart production. I have never done automatic essentia distilation though so I need to learn how to do that.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Figured, but good on you for point this out. So, back to using Netherwart for Herba, everyone?
Ok errata on my errata.

Actually, if your first wooden pipe is branched to a working redstone engine when you first scan it. The wooden pipes will have potentia and machina in it. Seems like a bug ? Yet there is probably a way to use that in our advantage...