Best ways to automate Herba production

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Hi, what are some good ways to automate Herba production for Thaumcraft? I'm running this on Horizons ftb. Some good tips would be helpful. Thanks

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok thanks. Just need a good way to automatically farm those. I can't use MFR as that isn't in horizons. Perhaps the RotaryCraft fans work (probably not) or else I can use vanilla techniques with a block update detector (i.e. pistons) to harvest them.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
When automating herba, it would not be inappropriate to use a harvest & gather golem pair?
Golems can harvest cacti. Seeds also provide herba so you can grow wheat if you can figure out what to do with the grain.
I find netherwart convenient as, well, that decomposes into praecantatio and herba and who can have too much praecantatio? Given that praecantatio spins down into interesting things.

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I find netherwart convenient as, well, that decomposes into praecantatio and herba and who can have too much praecantatio? Given that praecantation spins down into interesting things.

^ Thart

Golems can harvest netherwort as can an MFR harvester. Even split of herba for the lamp of growth and praecantatio which is used in LOADS of crucible and infusion altar recipes.

The hardest bit of automating this I found was automating the alumentum production to run the alchemical furnace without oversight. Use coal to start with but later you'll want to speed things along like a boss.

Reactions: YX33A

myrddraall

Jul 29, 2019
An mfr jungle tree farm is the simplest. You get wood and saplings to get the farm going and vines that only contain herba so you don't have to deal with other aspects

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019
Leaf harvesting with an MFR Harvester. Pipe leaves into your alembic. Golem to fill a void jar full of herba. Essentia mirror to transport to your tree/leaf farm.

EDIT: Oops, no MFR

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
in my opinion herba phials are the best source for herba essentia

/trolls away humming

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to avoid the whole "Just Use Leaves" bullshit, but Nether Wart is a good idea too. Easy to grow and replant, and has Praecantio? Win/win.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
tree saps (my favorite is sakura from natura) Sakura saps offer 2 herba.
Sakura is like the fastest growing thing in Modded MC. It also spits out the most saps of any tree in the game. hook up a void bottle to the arborm essentia and let that biatch roll.

I have it hooked up to my AE, and a essentia mirrors out to where ever.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
^ Thart

Golems can harvest netherwort as can an MFR harvester. Even split of herba for the lamp of growth and praecantatio which is used in LOADS of crucible and infusion altar recipes.

The hardest bit of automating this I found was automating the alumentum production to run the alchemical furnace without oversight. Use coal to start with but later you'll want to speed things along like a boss.

Yep. This is pretty much right where I am currently in my own game. Just discovering all the fun Thaumcraft stuff like golems and automated production. I finished up my first golem farm this morning, its for netherwart so I can break it down into Praecantatio and Herba to store the aspects in jars.

For OP, bloke is right - the way to go is have a netherwart or a cactus farm (i just checked, for purely herba, go with cactus for the 3 herba each) run by a gather/harvest+order golem pair, the gather golem takes the plants right over to an alchemical furnace and you have separate golems over there to change out the herba jars when they get full and stick em in a chest for you (i use an enderchest right into my ME system)... I'm in the process of setting up some automated production lines right now, one of them is for alumentum where I hope to have golems making it automatically around the clock (just keep the supply chests full for them to work out of). The little guys are so cool!

Here's a neat video from feniks, he shows how to set up an automated golem production line so you can create any golem on demand. I plan on having a lot of them doing a lot of magic crops farming for me. Advance forward to 4:00 to see his setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feniks and McJty

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I agree I tend to go with nether wart. You get plenty of herba and pracentio is not something you are going to say no to. They are easy to harvest with golems so flesh golems will do the job just fine. The only problem I have with going with cactus I am not sure how will golem perform and if they won't bump into it during harvesting. Also cactus requires to have space between them therefore you can have less of it per surface area. As a result I think despite the fact cactus have more herba per entity you probably going to get match it with nether wart as you can get more of it in the same area with nice extra bonus of pracentio.

PS: @asb3pe I added annotation at the beginning of the video that will take you straight to golem production line for convenience. Thanks for sharing my video

Last edited:
Reactions: McJty

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I agree I tend to go with nether wart. You get plenty of herba and pracentio is not something you are going to say no to. They are easy to harvest with golems so flesh golems will do the job just fine. The only problem I have with going with cactus I am not sure how will golem perform and if they won't bump into it during harvesting. Also cactus requires to have space between them therefore you can have less of it per surface area. As a result I think despite the fact cactus have more herba per entity you probably going to get match it with nether wart as you can get more of it in the same area with nice extra bonus of pracentio.

Thaumcraft Golems do not take damage from bumping into, or even pathing over, cactus. Possibly this means they are immune to other environmental spikes such as from Extra Utilities?

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
That would need testing. Nevertheless they are cactus growing mechanics means it can still only match what netherwart produces also cactus can be destroy if lands on other cactus so netherwart may even be better.