Best ways to automate Herba production

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm still working on this. At the moment I have a nearly automatic setup going. The only thing I still have to do manually is feed coal into the alembic furnace to 'burn' the netherwart. I plan to fix that by using a RotaryCraft woodcutter and burning the wood to charcoal. That way I should be able to do it 100% maintenance free. I already have a RF network setup so I can easily run the woodcutter and furnace for the charcoal production.

BTW, I used golems to harvest and gather both the mana beans as well as the netherwart.

I have a question though. I would like to use the herba production that I have now for two lamp of growths. One at the place where the mana bean farm is and the other one where the netherwart farm is. If I connect the alembic furnace to two warded jars with essentia pipes but will this work? Is the herba essence distributed in a kind of round robin system? Or is there another way that I can feed both warded jars to get two lamp of growths working?

Thanks

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still working on this. At the moment I have a nearly automatic setup going. The only thing I still have to do manually is feed coal into the alembic furnace to 'burn' the netherwart. I plan to fix that by using a RotaryCraft woodcutter and burning the wood to charcoal. That way I should be able to do it 100% maintenance free. I already have a RF network setup so I can easily run the woodcutter and furnace for the charcoal production.

BTW, I used golems to harvest and gather both the mana beans as well as the netherwart.

I have a question though. I would like to use the herba production that I have now for two lamp of growths. One at the place where the mana bean farm is and the other one where the netherwart farm is. If I connect the alembic furnace to two warded jars with essentia pipes but will this work? Is the herba essence distributed in a kind of round robin system? Or is there another way that I can feed both warded jars to get two lamp of growths working?

Thanks
Two sets of Essentia mirrors maybe?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I have not used those but wouldn't this present the same problem? How do I let the essentia flow to the two mirrors equally? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding how these mirrors work.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I have not used those but wouldn't this present the same problem? How do I let the essentia flow to the two mirrors equally? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding how these mirrors work.
They suck enough essentia for 1 use of what you have near the other side from a jar on the first side. In short, they are wireless essentia, but they do not fill pipes or jars IIRC, but maybe one could with Technomany Essentia Coils, come to think of it...
TO THE THAUMATORIOUM!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
As far as I know, you can link multiple output mirrors to a single input mirror. I believe it automatically draws enough to charge all lamps within reach.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok, I'm now struggling with a smaller problem. I have an automated blaze rod production going (picked up a blaze spawner from the nether) and would like to use blaze rods to power my alembic furnace. However, my netherwart production is not very fast yet so usually there is only a few netherwart sitting ready in the top slot of the furnace and I don't want to waste a blaze rod for that. I'd like to use a blaze rod only if the top slot is almost full with netherwart but I'm not sure how I can achieve that. Any ideas?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Ok, I'm now struggling with a smaller problem. I have an automated blaze rod production going (picked up a blaze spawner from the nether) and would like to use blaze rods to power my alembic furnace. However, my netherwart production is not very fast yet so usually there is only a few netherwart sitting ready in the top slot of the furnace and I don't want to waste a blaze rod for that. I'd like to use a blaze rod only if the top slot is almost full with netherwart but I'm not sure how I can achieve that. Any ideas?

Simple answer: produce netherrack faster so you develop enough of a backlog to keep the alchemical furnace permanently full.
And produce more blaze rods. Ore use magical crops to grow tons of blaze rods (funnily enough the lamps of growth will help here, it's like a positive feedback loop of win).

Less glib answer: Pretty sure you can do the usual thing with the redstone comparator to test how full your furnace is. Once it gets above a certain level use the signal to activate an AE level emitter and export blaze rods. (Note, this has no overflow control).

Alternate answer: Something something logistics pipes. I think you can set up a provider pipe thingy to export a single blaze rod on demand. There's better people to ask than me about that though :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Computercraft can both check the contents of an inventory, as well as push and pull from various inventories. So you could have a computer set up to register a stack of wart and dump in a blaze rod.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Simple answer: produce netherrack faster so you develop enough of a backlog to keep the alchemical furnace permanently full.
And produce more blaze rods. Ore use magical crops to grow tons of blaze rods (funnily enough the lamps of growth will help here, it's like a positive feedback loop of win).

Less glib answer: Pretty sure you can do the usual thing with the redstone comparator to test how full your furnace is. Once it gets above a certain level use the signal to activate an AE level emitter and export blaze rods. (Note, this has no overflow control).

Alternate answer: Something something logistics pipes. I think you can set up a provider pipe thingy to export a single blaze rod on demand. There's better people to ask than me about that though :)

I don't have logistics pipes (isn't in horizons). I'm already producing plenty of blazerods with my spawner but still I'm not a big fan of wasting them :)

Anyway, I'll try a few things out.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Blergh, forgot you were in Horizons. Translocators might work. Use a Comparator to detect when it's full and then redstone to enable the translocator.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
you should soon have an excess of herba right ? Otherwise your netherwart farm is much too small. It should stop when your jars get filled.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
OR, once you have crazy lilies and most of the other farm enhancers, you should be accruing netherwart faster than a single alchemical furnace can deal with it. My crop farm right now is entirely self sustaining, the netherwart is a single strip of soul sand on the side of a 15x15 square of fertilized dirt (mostly full of magical crops producing goodies). It grows and harvests quick enough that I have half a dozen full jars of herba PLUS a void jar for the excess.

I don't care about the waste, since the system is never going to run out of raw materials since everything is renewable.

I might add a couple more lamps just to take the piss a bit though :)

Reactions: McJty