Best way to mine?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the IC2 miner pulls from Your config file, regardless if it matches the server or not. I have a custom config with numbers where all ores are a multiple of 3, diamond is 100, and lava is 1. Basically, if I find a spot over 400 it's diamonds (Or an insane amount of ore) below.

Personally, what I have setup is a track along some terrain with a powered rail every 9th spot. Storage/MFE/Anchor cart config on the rail, and in the storage is an energy unloader, 4 gold cables, two wooden chests (key), two hoppers, about 128 mining pipe (more if in a tall world), four or five stacks of cells, miner, pump, diamond drill, OV scanner, and a single redstone torch. I start on an unpowered rail.

Setup pump next to the miner, and drop a wood chest behind each so it becomes a single double chest. Drop in the drill and scanner, prime both pump and miner with cells/pipe, connect the energy unloader with gold cable to the MFE cart, and connect up the miner, and walk off. Come back, look at the hopper a minute, and if it's not moving replace all the pipe in the hopper with the cobble it mined and pull out the drill to plug the hole. Pick it all up, drop it back in the carts, and drop the redstone torch on the powered rail to move it to the next exact mark.

Lately, though, I've stopped plugging the first and seventh hole, and doing this for 7 lines and repeat the holes.. Then, I drop to the bottom of the first hole with a couple stacks of cobble, drop a landmark and a redstone torch, and hop all the way up to when the torch stops. Back at the base I have an ender-chest that keeps pulling cobble out of my exo-barrels. When I reach the end of the blue beam, drop another marker, redstone it, and hit the other holes. Then, drop the filler, set it to fill, and bam, no caves. I used this to prep an area for my overworld mob farm, but whenever I did that in the past I just felt the pang in the back that I was wasting ore.

Couple of notes though about the IC2 miner. It can sometimes leave some ore behind, so it is always a good double-check after filling the hole, but before grabbing the miner, to doublecheck with the ov-scanner and make sure you don't leave important stuff behind. This is usually maybe 1 or 2 ore blocks per miner area.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
No one mentioned Steve's Carts? Takes some resources to start up, but take it down to y 11ish with a hardened drill, a railer, torch layer, etc. Add an anchor cart and strip mine away. Pump out of the cargo manager into an ender chest (or phased pipes if you add that mod) and you'll be swimming in resources. True, it's not completely fire and forget, you'll need to reposition when you reach your rail length, but it's quite effective. Also, to the guy that was spewing his cobble into a lava pit: use a void pipe, your server will thank you :p

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Personnally, I don't think dense ore symbols are worth the risk. Becuase if you have instability enabled in the config files, you can get some pretty nasty stuff if you have dense ores activated.

I was screwing around on creative today and spawned a 3x Dense Ores. Dug straight down to avoid the spontaneous combustion and hit a cave around level 13 to find over 50 diamond blocks, all within a small area. Would have been more if I hadn't gotten bored. The age was also decaying, but not so fast that a huge haul couldn't be had.

That's game breakingly screwed up.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I was screwing around on creative today and spawned a 3x Dense Ores. Dug straight down to avoid the spontaneous combustion and hit a cave around level 13 to find over 50 diamond blocks, all within a small area. Would have been more if I hadn't gotten bored. The age was also decaying, but not so fast that a huge haul couldn't be had.

That's game breakingly screwed up.
Get the Dense Ore symbol when you're not in creative (good luck with that). It's far from game breaking.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, i was sure the miner pulled every ore in the pack... What ores is it missing?

Current FTB default config is just the base stuff.

# List of valuable ores the miner should look for. Comma separated, format is id-metadata:value where value should be at least 1 to be considered by the miner
valuableOres=14:3, 15:4, 16:1, 21:3, 56:5, 73:3, 129:5

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Even with just the vanilla ores in the list it picks up forestry and TE ores. Obviously it has built in support for IC2's ore.

This was 1.4.5 test world with IC2 109 and 110. I did not have other mods with ores installed, so not sure what others work without config settings. Seems like other mods can register with it or it automatically pulls a list of ores from the dictionary?

Either way i was satisfied with its results in a test world. I did not see missed ores. 9x9 sounds small until you are running 4 at a time and taking entire chunks worth of ore in under 15 minutes.

Only fail it had was stopping on a extra bees stone hive (they can spawn underground in cave systems etc). Probably better it stopped cause it requires a scoop to get the bees anyway.

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
ill double check but i think the miner pulls out lead. Which is not IC2 ore.

The miner has a shory range. That is one of its problems. That is why i use 4 at the same time.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
this is my way of mining
r9rbrb.jpg
that's 16, 25x25 quarries. Everything goes into a sorter and is either scrapped or chested. Ender storage was banned on the server I made this on, else everything would be going back to my base.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Once Red Power is out, I plan on making an IC2 miner frameship that can strip a 27x27 area of ore in minutes. Won't leave any ugly holes, the cobble/dirt excess will be much more manageable and it won't cause as much lag as a quarry running the same thing. As an added bonus, solar panels will make it free to run.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Hey. speaking of redpower. make a bedrock to y16 rock crawler that gobbles up everything in it's path. the drillhead can be 16 wide if you want. the only drawback is that it will destroy lava when passing trough it. but hey. you can have a world anchor attached, and it will in theory be able to mine out entire chunks in seconds all the way to the edge of the world with ease... (don't do that tho.. it will crash your world).

Edited for insultingly bad spelling :oops:

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Even with just the vanilla ores in the list it picks up forestry and TE ores. Obviously it has built in support for IC2's ore.
This was 1.4.5 test world with IC2 109 and 110. I did not have other mods with ores installed, so not sure what others work without config settings.
1.4.5 is not FTB BETA A, which is still at 1.4.2
In one of the versions for 1.4.5 greg added the support to autofill the miners list with all the dictionary ores he knows of.

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
Once Red Power is out, I plan on making an IC2 miner frameship that can strip a 27x27 area of ore in minutes. Won't leave any ugly holes, the cobble/dirt excess will be much more manageable and it won't cause as much lag as a quarry running the same thing. As an added bonus, solar panels will make it free to run.

i dont know anything about Red Power. so can you please elaborate how to do you extend the miners range?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
There's a motor in Redpower which moves Frames (also Redpower, obviously) and anything adjacent to the Frames. People use this to create moving platforms that can carry machines with them and move them without the need to dismantle and reassemble elsewhere.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
i dont know anything about Red Power. so can you please elaborate how to do you extend the miners range?

Use more of 'em at the same time? :p

A single miner can handle a 9x9 area so I think he's just going to make a grid of 3x3 miners :)

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
Use more of 'em at the same time? :p

A single miner can handle a 9x9 area so I think he's just going to make a grid of 3x3 miners :)

i have said before that i use 4 miners. the problem with that is the installation and uninstall of all the wires and machines to move them around.

There's a motor in Redpower which moves Frames (also Redpower, obviously) and anything adjacent to the Frames. People use this to create moving platforms that can carry machines with them and move them without the need to dismantle and reassemble elsewhere.

nice~ this would be like a dream come true! XD. thx.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I simple fire and forget system for the IC2 miner:

Chest auto fill by the respective machines. Works with iron chests mod, but does not seem to work with vanilla enderchests (ender mod chests work fine).

I guess you could mount that setup on a frame platform and move it about without taking it down.

All machines/pipe/tubes ect will never work with the vanilla enderchest, as it's inventory is tied to the individual players. (its added in Mojang's usual style, rip off a cool mod and implement a sub-standard version)

As for best 'setup and forget' mining- when the modpack updates- build a frame bore. With 2 enderchest pairs (for BT power and item return) and a 2 chunkloaders they can run forever

(also with tube frames they are now ridiculously easy to build- I have a 3 headed one called Cerberus)

Pros:
+ ridiculously huge amount of resources (will repay its initial cost very quickly)
+ doesn't tear up the landscape
+ digs horizontally at the diamond level
+ will automatically stop if your processing lines jam (quarries will vomit items everywhere)
+ loads of customisation options (can place torches, lay tracks, fill in lava/water intrusion, MFFS ect)
+ will not be stopped by water/lava.
+ no physical fuel usage, and blulectricity is fairly cheap. In terms of energy used per tick this is the most efficient mining method. (energy used per block mined is almost 0)
+ also a very effective griefing machine (oops my bad)

Cons:
- Highest cost to set up (11 diamonds needed to make materials, though 6 can be returned to usable form - diamond handsaw and die for copper wire). Fair bit of iron and nikolite needed.
- Not creeper friendly (auto-torch placing recommended if mobgriefing turned on)
- Takes a bit of practice to build a really good one.
-Frames do not like Buildcraft pipes (why use them when you have tubes anyway?)

Neutral points
-Looks awesome
-Massive underground caverns can be retrofitted for other uses (modgrinder)